Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
Seattle , Washington
Attaching a hook/hanger/screw to interior lining?

I own a 2005 19' Safari and would like to mount a hanger/hook in that sliver of wall space between the window over the sink and the carpeted wall over the dining area. I'd be drilling into the aluminum interior lining. What is the best way to do this? What tools or anchors should I use?

I've read that lots of people use velcro, suction cups and so on, but that's not what I'm looking to do. I want something permanent that won't move or have to be taken down every time I hit the road. The various hook/hangers I'm considering attach to a screw head that is sticking out of the wall, so I guess that's what i need to do - have a securely inserted screw. If this were drywall or plaster I'd know just what to do!

Ideas? Thanks in advance!

LauraLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Columbus , Indiana
Use a 3M Command Strip hook. I have several of them in my rig and they work great. They come in a variety of styles and colors. Command Forever Classic Large Metal Hook, Brushed Nickel: Home Improvement

Bill & Martha
2011 25 Flying Cloud #525456
2010 F150 Lariat SCAB, 5.4L, 3.55:1
Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I use 3M two sided automotive tape; Don't drill any holes in your trailer if at all possible.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
One more vote for the 3M hooks
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Chattanooga , Tennessee
How to affix the hook to the wall depends on how much weight you are going to put on it. If possible I like to rivet thing in place, just like the original, but stainless steel screw can work. there may be an aluminum rib behind the area. If you can rivet or screw into that, the hook will hold a lot of weight.
Steve and Tobie Thayer
Chatthayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Use a smaller drill bit a size smaller than you would usually use. The aluminum acts differently than wood or a harder metal, and will stretch. It's easy to spin the screw in the hole, stripping it out, if the hole is too large. You'll drill into the inner aluminum, and when you put the screw into the hole tighten it but don't overdo it. It will hold. I've had experience with those 3M strips giving up after a while. Even installed correctly, they don't hold forever like a properly installed screw or rivet.

robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote