Old 10-17-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

1962 22' Safari
Farmington , New Mexico
Asbestos tile

I'm getting ready to do the floor in my 1962 Safari. I'm wondering how to tell if the tiles are asbestos. I worked at power plants that had asbestos and saw lots of my friends die from it.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I think that you will find it has Asbestos, or at least most of the tiles used in the day did. What I know is that is is harmful when airborne so you could use water to keep that from happening.

1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Don't breathe the dust. There are guidelines and videos available online for how to safely remove asbestos floor tile.
Asbestos insulation, or rather the dust from it, was the main way we came to know asbestos once in the lungs doesn't leave and over time (average 40 years) can lead to respiratory problems sometimes resulting in death.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
The rule is that 9" tiles are asbestos and 12" tiles are vinyl.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The dangers of asbestos have been grossly oversold. If you are not going to disturb it, complete removal, odds are about equal to strike by lightning.

Now there will be all kinds of reaction here but let me state before they get started I had an asbestos management license while Building and Grounds Supervisor of a school. The asbestos scare originated here in New Jersey when our Governor Florio set 5 of his friends up in the asbestos removal business and then passed the law relating to schools.

It all come down to if you like Cool Aid

9 in. is the governing factor. The glue is most likely going to have it also. If you have to vacuum any dust from the trailer use a canister vac and have it vented outside the trailer. I am not quoting current law, but believe this is still in effect, Asbestos can go into a class C landfill.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
The rule is that 9" tiles are asbestos and 12" tiles are vinyl.
Yes.

Releasing asbestos fiber from tiles is hard to do as they are bound to the other components. The biggest hazard is using a buffing machine on them, which can create dust. If you can remove them without breaking them up too much, there shouldn't be a problem.

You probably can't just toss them in the trash, there's have to be disposed of properly- which will probably depend on your local regulations.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Any flooring (9" or 12" or sheet) made prior to 1980 is suspect.
http://m.inspectapedia.com/?url=http...referrer=#2712
Old 10-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #8

1962 22' Safari
Farmington , New Mexico
Hey guys, thanks for all the answers. I'm very familiar with asbestos after working at power plants. I saw many of my friends die from it. I know how serious it is. The main thing that was mentioned is the 9" or 12" tiles, saying that the 9" are the ones to look out for. If I tackle the job, I'll be wetting down everything, use a paper coveralls and do everything like I used to see the pros do at work. I'll treat my 12" tiles like asbestos even if they turn out to not be. Better safe than sorry, I'm sure I've had doses of it already working in the plants for so many years. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Asbestos fears

Not to make light of other posts here but I am a multi-state licensed Union Insulator/Asbestos Supervisor and have removed Asbestos for more than 15+ years on all the types of Asbestos insulation in Schools, Power plants, Comm. and Residential buildings as well as Nuclear Power Stations and even NASA in Houston, Tx. So I have a lot of experience.

The small amount of tile and adhesive in a trailer should not scare you at all if you use some simple steps to limit any exposure to it! You can use amended water (dish soap works well) in a spray bottle to keep dust issues at a minimum. Mix it to feel just slightly soapy! Spray a heavy wet coat aver a small area at a time! Remove the tiles with a wide scrapper tool or a 5 way tool and try to keep the tiles whole if possible (MANY MAY POP RIGHT UP IN NON-TRAFFIC AREAS). DO NOT use any type of fan or AC in the trailer. Use a vacuum that contains a sealed HEPA filter to clean up any dust or tile rubble! The filter and all the tile & waste CAN be bagged and put out in your regular trash pick up bin as that small amount is not regulated by the EPA or OSHA! But for your own safety if you have access to a respirator use it! Make sure it has a particulate/dust filter rated for Asbestos! Be Safe! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:00 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
You can use amended water (dish soap works well) in a spray bottle to keep dust issues at a minimum. Mix it to feel just slightly soapy!
A handy hint from a Certified Industrial Hygienist I worked with for removal of asbestos from some Corps of Engineers facilities…

Completely cover the tiles with Gillette Foamy shave cream before trying to remove them. The foam captures any dust or asbestos fibers in case of breakage or other damage to the tiles, keeping them out of the air and your lungs. But coating the tiles with shave cream is no substitute for safety goggles and a mask. A respirator is best, but even a painter's dust mask is better than nothing.

Once the tiles are removed, double-bag them (bag them, tape the bag shut, place inside another bag and tape it shut as well). If they are double-bagged, non-friable asbestos such as tiles or transite panels CAN be tossed in a dumpster and taken to a normal landfill— BigEd52, please confirm that; my information may be out-of-date.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Asbestos handling

Double bagging would make it a little safer for downstream handling of the waste and tile trash. Since it is going from the trash bin to a landfill it is really Over Kill! As far as using a dust mask.... you cannot expect any protection from any mask not rated for asbestos as the asbestos fibers are microscopic & can flow right thru typical paper dust masks and they also do not seal around your mouth and nose very well so not worth using as asbestos protection. The shaving cream foam would be very effective to keep dust and fibers from becoming airborne but the cost would be very prohibitive to do a large floor area (such as a travel trailer) compared with just using amended (soapy) water. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 AM   #12

1962 22' Safari
Farmington , New Mexico
Thanks again guys. I'm a safety professional and like I said before, well aware of the dangers of asbestos. While working at certain jobs, I acquired asbestos masks and filters to use. The hint about using soapy water is a big help and I will definitely try that if I tackle the job. For now, the trailer is for sale. If is sells, it sells and if not, I'll start with taking out the carpet, upholstery, tiles and doing general clean up and reassess it from there. By the way, it has the 12" tiles.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
One last point and not to start an online argument; years ago I sold Asbestos. Our products were floor tile in both 9" and 12" and made of Asbestos. We also sold Asbestos flat sheets, roofing and siding products as well as congregated type for sea and lake wall retention. The advice on removal aforementioned are spot on, no fans, vacuum pressure if possible or exhaust only.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
wow some truly knowledgeable folk on this thread! I am glad I pulled the tiles out of my 66, though not sure I was quite as careful as is stated to be here. I did try not to break any when I pulled them out. Most just popped off the floor.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote