Old 06-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Tiling an RV from Flex Tile!!!

I may have good news for those of you who would like to tile your bathroom!

I called Flex Tile today and spoke with a wonderful woman who explained the deal with Flex Tile.

Here are the facts:

Flex Tile was created many years ago by the owner of this company. He designed it to be used in Fiberglass pools. She explained that the pools were being grouted with traditional means for a pool but when the temp rose and fell the grout and tiles would crack because fiberglass expands and contracts with the temp. The product he developed called R&R 100% Silicone Rubber Adhesive and Grout flex with the changes in temp and size and is also waterproof. She also said that no substrate is needed between the sub floor and tile. She said just to use the adhesive...

The owner also happens to be an RV enthusiast. He began using this product to tile his RV and now to date has tiled 4 of his own RVs and has had no issues. Check out the images on his site (not the best site). I am going to call him on Monday to discuss the details further as he is out on an RV trip as we speak...

So anyway, she is putting together a quote for me as we speak for the tools and the adhesive and grout I need for my project. I will be tiling a shower bulkhead wall, the floor and the toilet surround and back splash. This is approx 40 sq. ft. I ordered 50 sq. ft. of 3/4" square 1/8" thick tiles to use for this job.

I will let you know how this turns out and post photos of the process. Wish me luck...

Old 08-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
crabbey1 your layouts are great. I do have one question however. The shower seat is a very nice feature. I am adding one to my house master shower. I did learn one fact about these seats. Most are deigned for 200 pounds some up to 300 pounds. In order to support this weight, the force is transferred from the seat to the wall. I have a 78 rear shower and a 77 mid shower. I don't believe either of these will support 200 pounds without internal wall reinforcement. It appears from the wall curvature, your shower will be an interior stub wall. How are you going to reinforce it?

PS Please don't show your design to my wife. She will have me tearing out the shower and rebuilding it LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Yes the wall will be an interior wall reinforced by a wood frame at the rear in key points. I will be installing it in a matter of days, so I will let you know how it goes and take full photos... Should be up next week.