Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Send a message via AIM to crabbey1 Send a message via Skype™ to crabbey1
Argosy Shower Design Concepts!!!

So I have been working out some ideas of paper (or Photoshop) of some design ideas for my new shower...

I plan to use lightweight 1/8" thick tiles to do the wall. I will reroute (already done) the plumbing around the back/bottom of the shower basin and up the wall with the slide in door... I only needed about 2" clearance which I should have now...

Anyway, take a look at my designs and let me know what you think. I plan to reinforce the wall with 1x2 wood to help support the seat.

Thanks!

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-06-26 at 4.00.22 PM.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	189374  
crabbey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Chris,

Good designs. Very nice.

You might want to consider making an aluminum tube frame for the wall instead of using 1 x 2 wood.

You can see how I built my shower stall, similar to yours, in posts # 106, #109 and #117 in my main thread, here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...e-18448-9.html

I couldn't have my plumbing in that partition wall 'cause I needed to thread the gas lines to the LG Art Cool A/C through the space. I managed to get this and the sliding door into a less than 3" wide space and everything works perfectly.

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
That is great to hear. Thanks for the feedback Sergei. You have a classic trailer!

I will give some thought to the aluminum framing idea. Could I use square framing and bolt, screw the wall to them the same way I would do the 1x2? I also plan to increase the wall thickness from 1/4" ply to 3/8 or 1/2"...
Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Looking at your screen shots, that is a bulkhead wall you have shown, is that correct? I don't see why you cant run the plumbing in that wall, its wide enough for the vent stack so should be ok for the hot and cold as well as the valve assembly.

I've been working on a bath remodel as well for the last 6 months. If you haven't seen it, take a looksee here, some of the ideas may be helpful.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f46/...up-100164.html

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Are you planing to use 1/8" Ceramic tile? And if so, are you planning on making this a "park model"?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Chris,

Yes, you can use tubing and make it yourself.

The aluminum frame for the shower wall was made for me by my friend Phil, working at the Wiltsie Truck Body plant. I think we pre-rivited the plywood to the frame.

Later, I used 1" aluminum tubing, bought from Home Depot, and made the bulkhead at the front entry by myself, just using L brackets to rivet the thing together. You can catch what I'm explaining in posts #323 and #347 here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-24.html

Good luck,

Sergei
Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
so, will you use grout? or some sort of flexible, waterproof material in place of grout that will flex as the trailer moves?
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
NJtoNC - I will follow this method.

Sergei - That sounds easy enough. I will let you know what I do...
Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
The concerns I would have about using ceramic tile are weight, especially in a rear bath trailer, and grout versus movement.

They have interesting self-sticking sheet goods in plastic that look like your designs above. I have seen them around, probably in the big boxes, like Home Depot or Lowe's, were stuff seems to be getting more stylish lately.

I've seen glass tile in an Airstream but it was done by designers who didn't worry about traveling down the road as much as making their design statement.

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	189385

entire rig now available
Old 06-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Crabby1, I think the substrate used will hold up as it all appears to be pretty flexible. Thinset and grout however are basically cement, which has almost no flex at all; my bet would be that after a few trips, the grout will start to crack and eventually pop, and eventually some of the tiles will follow. So my guess is that this installation will show tile and grout issues before water leaks due to substrate separation.
I don't want to come off sounding like a know it all, but my wife and I did own and run a tile/stone shop for a number of years. While the installation is beautiful, I don't think it would last for someone who actually travels. My 2 cents.
Let us know how it holds up.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Thanks for the concerns Dryfly. I have read a lot of threads here in the forums with people that have used tile in their trailers and seem to do ok. I have a list a different materials that people are using. Maybe you can help me narrow down what has the best chance at lasting...

Here are the things that I have read in no particular order:

1. The article above in post #8

2. acrylic latex caulk

3. Mapei Adesilex P10 Mosaic & Glass Tile Mortar w/Polymer.

4. Mapei Keracolor Unsanded Grout w/Polymer.

5. Flexible Sanded Grout

6. Flexible mastic

Again these are things that I read and noted in my own Argosy notes. Little tidbits that I think might help me out later on down the road... Do you think any of this looks good?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
I also came across this last night.

Flex-Tile

They use R&R 100% Silicone Rubber Adhesive and R&R 100% Silicone Rubber Grout...

Now the only question is what to use between the wall/subfloor and the adhesive/tiles...????

Has anyone ever tiled a pool? Apparently, R&R Adhesive and Grout is used to tile pools and can withstand high and low temps as well as being waterproof. Sounds perfect!
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Anyone have any advice on any of these options?
Old 06-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbey1 View Post
Thanks for the concerns Dryfly. I have read a lot of threads here in the forums with people that have used tile in their trailers and seem to do ok. I have a list a different materials that people are using. Maybe you can help me narrow down what has the best chance at lasting...

Here are the things that I have read in no particular order:

1. The article above in post #8

2. acrylic latex caulk

3. Mapei Adesilex P10 Mosaic & Glass Tile Mortar w/Polymer.

4. Mapei Keracolor Unsanded Grout w/Polymer.

5. Flexible Sanded Grout

6. Flexible mastic

Again these are things that I read and noted in my own Argosy notes. Little tidbits that I think might help me out later on down the road... Do you think any of this looks good?
I think any cementitious product is going to have problems in a trailer. The Flexi-Tile looks interesting. If you use it, keep us posted on the results.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Tiling an RV from Flex Tile!!!

I may have good news for those of you who would like to tile your bathroom!

I called Flex Tile today and spoke with a wonderful woman who explained the deal with Flex Tile.

Here are the facts:

Flex Tile was created many years ago by the owner of this company. He designed it to be used in Fiberglass pools. She explained that the pools were being grouted with traditional means for a pool but when the temp rose and fell the grout and tiles would crack because fiberglass expands and contracts with the temp. The product he developed called R&R 100% Silicone Rubber Adhesive and Grout flex with the changes in temp and size and is also waterproof. She also said that no substrate is needed between the sub floor and tile. She said just to use the adhesive...

The owner also happens to be an RV enthusiast. He began using this product to tile his RV and now to date has tiled 4 of his own RVs and has had no issues. Check out the images on his site (not the best site). I am going to call him on Monday to discuss the details further as he is out on an RV trip as we speak...

So anyway, she is putting together a quote for me as we speak for the tools and the adhesive and grout I need for my project. I will be tiling a shower bulkhead wall, the floor and the toilet surround and back splash. This is approx 40 sq. ft. I ordered 50 sq. ft. of 3/4" square 1/8" thick tiles to use for this job.

I will let you know how this turns out and post photos of the process. Wish me luck...
Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
crabbey1 your layouts are great. I do have one question however. The shower seat is a very nice feature. I am adding one to my house master shower. I did learn one fact about these seats. Most are deigned for 200 pounds some up to 300 pounds. In order to support this weight, the force is transferred from the seat to the wall. I have a 78 rear shower and a 77 mid shower. I don't believe either of these will support 200 pounds without internal wall reinforcement. It appears from the wall curvature, your shower will be an interior stub wall. How are you going to reinforce it?

PS Please don't show your design to my wife. She will have me tearing out the shower and rebuilding it LOL
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 22
Pasadena , California
Yes the wall will be an interior wall reinforced by a wood frame at the rear in key points. I will be installing it in a matter of days, so I will let you know how it goes and take full photos... Should be up next week.