Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Argosy 26' interior begins here.

Hi all; Because of a miserable snowy and high winds yesterday, me and my wife decided it was time to figure out how many sheets of plywood is needed to replace all interior in our 1973 26 Argosy. We have laid out all removed pieces which we kept for patterns, and figured we need eleven 4'x8' sheets of 4 MM Marine OKUME plywood one being a spare. Three sheets of 3 MM and one sheet of 9.5 MM. The 3 MM, came has become a necessary item to replace Formica strips of cut inserts inside the aluminum extrusions. The 2 MM would have been better but it is not available, therefore I will need to router the edges which will allow me to slide them into extrusions, with face protruding 1.5 MM. This decision was made because of the fear of not being able to match Formica to the stained OKUME plywood. Since we wanted to have a perfect match this was the only choice. We decided to paint the interior walls Sea Foam Green, and have not yet decided on the shade of stain until we do a few samples and decide on shade. All interior will be cut up to fit, stained and varnished with Epifanes UV resistant Marine Varnish and then installed. Most of the structural framing will be done in welded aluminum framing. The 9.5 MM ply, will be used for bases of such as the bed and other items.

Decision to go with Marine ply, was based on the fact that there may be some moisture issues in the future use. Harbor Sales in Maryland will be delivering the ply today, and the order was placed just yesterday afternoon. Fast free service, I must say. We are currently in a serious debate over a one double retractable bed, and a twin bunk bed. A double retractable will cause us to loose some overhead storage, in order to make a passage way to the bathroom, while bed is in set up position. Does anyone have any input on this issue. There is only the two of us, but I am not sure how much junk storage we may need. My wife claims that I may have a problem sleeping in a single bunk bed. In the days when I was flying, I slept in a hole in a wall on a carrier and it did not matter, and I wonder if that may have changed in forty years. Double bunk bed would be much easier to build, it would also hide my pipes to the gray tank, instead placing them in a belly pan giving me more drawer storage to boot. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Why not have a twin on either side of the aisle, with storage above and below? No bunk needed, you will still be able to walk the aisle, and not have to crawl up into a bunk (think arthritis).
Old 04-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
boatdoc,
You can't be serious!? That frame you built is way tooooo pretty to cover up! Put that one on display and build another ugly one for your trailer!!!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Hang in there Boatdoc- Why are you worried about beds? Seems to me as you never have time to sleep!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
Bustersmith

2008 25' International CCD
Reston , Virginia
Bed

Boatdoc, My wife votes for the double fold out. I think you got to go with what your good woman says here. I am pretty sure it isn't the bunk bed. But a bunk bed does seem like fun and it brings back childhood memories. Hard decision. Gene
Bustersmith is offline   Reply With Quote