Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Anyone bought new rear twin mattresses ?

Hi I have a 34ft trailer with rear twin beds. I would like to know if the new mattresses from Airstream are comfortable and worth the money they cost . The price I have seen is around $325.00 ea. plus shipping. Or do you have any other suggestions. My originals are too uncomfortable now. Thanks
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Howdy!

We went to Walmart and purchased 4" memory foam toppers for ours. Had to due a little trimming but they sure due improve the sleeping comfort for alot less than new mattresses.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Limestone , Alabama
Agree with chiefneon - a memory foam topper transformed the twin rear mattresses in our '89 into great sleeping mattresses - rivaling that of the Select Comfort that we use in the house. We used an electric carving knife to trim the topper to match the curve of the mattress.

Happy Sleeping!!!

Steve
war eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Anyone bought new rear twin mattresses ?

Another viable option, particularly if your mattresses are ready for replacement, is to check your local Yellow Pages for mattress manufacturers. Most custom mattress manufacturers will produce the custom sized and shaped mattresses for a slight up-charge over their standard offerings in the closest standard size. This is the path that I followed with Lebeda Mattress Factory nearly a decade ago, and I am very pleased with the mattresses to this day. Custom mattress factories seem to be popping up in most larger towns so locating a factory not too far distant from your location shouldn't pose a huge problem . . . and this permits you to choose both the firmness of the mattress as well as the ticking fabric and other features such as pillow-top that you might prefer.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Thanks for the replies. That gives me some options to try. I have checked with a local upholsterer that can make a foam mattress but I just don`t think that will be very comfortable.
WBCCI # 10219 Georgia Unit
AIR # 5131
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #6

1968 30' Sovereign
pekin , Indiana
Actually i just purchased two rear mattresses for our 68.... the route we went with is to go to a local mom and pop style furniture dealer and had them order two mattresses that where for a hide away style bed , not a futon.....they fit super and for the price are very comfey! i gave 200.00 for the pair brand new in plastic! hope this helps
airjonny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I bought new twins from Rocky Mountain Mattress Co, They are in Utah, but the mattresses were made in North Carolina. They are first class construction and, to me, more comfortable than my bed at home. They have 4 layers of different foams. Their mattresses are roughly equivalnt to Temperpedic for a lot less money.

I sent them a paper pattern and the mattresses fit perfectly..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . .we got Tucker Mattress near ATL to make us 2 curved corner twin box spring type mattresses for our Safari 25 last Sring. About $325 each and very comfortable. Took the old one in for a template, took a week or so. Regards, Craig
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
We ordered a couple twin mattresses online. Foam with memory foam enclosed in ticking. Then, my wife cut the stitching on one side, and used a string to snap a line, and a 7" electric knife to cut down the side. We were leaving in a hurry, so we just folded over the cover, but plan on sewing the cover back at the smaller size. About $200 for both.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
Proud to be , an American
Hi-
As RamblingMan stated....one of the best routes to go is a special order.
We found that good money after bad....well....it is a hard pill to swallow.

We had a custom set done by a place in Melbourne FL, they too ujsed the original as a template. Interior springs, it was worth the effort and time to do the leg work. I am sure if you research custom mattresses in your area you will find a few.
Good Luuck
Elf 1
Elf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Elf1, where in Melbourne did you go?
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I bought new twins from Rocky Mountain Mattress Co, They are in Utah, but the mattresses were made in North Carolina. They are first class construction and, to me, more comfortable than my bed at home. They have 4 layers of different foams. Their mattresses are roughly equivalnt to Temperpedic for a lot less money.

I sent them a paper pattern and the mattresses fit perfectly..
Those sound like really great matresses!!!! I bet they are really comfortable.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Another Option

Davis,

My 34 footer had rear twins as well. And, mine were also worn out; about as flat as a pancake. They may have been OK in 1987, but they were really shot now.

Further, I didn't like having to sleep with my head kinked to the side because of the curvature of the trailer body (mine has lamps at the other end of the bed where it's square, and if I sat up at night, I'd impale my head on the bottom of the lamp that comes off the wall).

I decided to turn the whole rear of my trailer into a King sized bunk. I searched and searched but could not find a local mattress maker that would make me a King mattress with radiused corners (I measured the radius, drew it all up in AutoCAD, and got it to Kingsdown in Winchester VA but they wouldn't do it....too much trouble for one mattress for them to make any money....). And, I wasn't going to pay $300 for shipping to have somebody 2000 miles away make me one..... So in the end, I got a Simmons BeautyRest plush top firm (the kind I like....but to each their own) in a Queen size and then got body pillows and wedged into the perimeter around the mattress.

Oh yeah, I built a "bridge" across the aisle to support the mattress out of 1/2" plywood with some stiffeners. I sanded it down to a taper on both sides so there's not a huge noticable hump in the middle of the mattress. It worked out great.

I'm not 100 years old yet and don't mind sleeping in the same bed as my wife. Sometimes both kids and the dog like to hop in there too. All I can say is that I am 100% happy that I took the two twins and turned it into a King sized nest back there.

Bottom line: If you can't get a good night's sleep, the trip will be miserable. So whichever way you go; be it two twins or one biggie, get yourself a good quality mattress(or two) and get a good night's sleep. That makes the trout fishing and sight seeing the next morning much much sweeter!

Take care!