Old 09-04-2006, 08:19 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
foto for Chuck

hi- Chuck asked for a foto for the area I sprayed with foam- here ya go! I essentially sprayed full every crack, hole, and penetration in the water-tank pan, and where the frame goes through it, both sides. Now, if you have a belly-pan that is absolutely mouse proof, And there is no way for the mice to jump up into the frame by the ball hitch, you don't need to do this. When I took my belly pan off last summer, MANY mice, both dead and alive, were up in the fiberglass. But that belly pan had some breaches, as well as the aforementioned hallway running down the frame from the ball hitch area- look up underneath that area and you may see what I mean. Think like a mouse! -tim p.s. in the left foto, you can see a 1" mouse hole that I just put tape over for now. Major entry!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116-1608_IMG.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	25603   Click image for larger version

Name:	116-1609_IMG.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	25605  

Old 09-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmloehr
Hi Suz

I purchase the peppermint essential oil from the health food store. It is extremely potent and I mean POTENT, so i moisten each cotton ball until it is slightly damp. You dont want to get any of this on your skin or clothing. It comes in a tiny bottle and has a top on it so it only comes out a few drops at a time. Didnt find any evidence of mice in my Airstream this weekend either! When you first put the oil on the cotton balls, the scent will be very strong but I have found after a few days it wears off. Which makes me wonder if there is a better way to keep this stuff going for awhile. I got the idea from this forum and someone was putting the oil in a few sippy cups and placing them around. The oil is a little pricey so I dont know how much they were putting in the cups. If you find a better way let me know and I will do the same.

Thanks! Nancy
nmloehr

Thanks Nancy,
Sounds like the peppermint oil is in those tiny "dram" size. I'll have to check that out SOON...we're in MI too ( in the middle of the state) and as you know, it's been chilly these past few nights.

2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #59
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
hi- Chuck asked for a foto for the area I sprayed with foam- here ya go!...
interesting. that frame cavity is covered w/ belly pan on my trailer...hence my confusion. I wonder if that's a stock arrangement on yours, or if some PO opened it up for some reason...seems a bad idea to expose the plywood that forms the box for the tank like that. On mine, there's belly pan under the "z" channel that supports the tank, up to the a-frame. The area inside the a-frame was cut out to form the space that holds the spare tire, but the frame channel around this area is solid, so there's no path for anything to get in there.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I'll try again

The reason there is no belly pan in this area, or any area, is that I took it all off last summer and have not yet put it back on. I took it off for cleanout of rotten fiberglass, cleanup and painting of frame, replacing of parts of subfloor, re-routing of some plumbing, etc. My point is that up above your supposedly mouse-proof belly pan, there may be several access holes for mice to gain entry to the cavity in the kitchen cabinet, the one where the fill-pipe for the water tank is, and where the drain valves are. Once in there, they'll get everywhere. You may have mouse-proofed the bellypan itself, but have you checked the ENDS of the frame, either at the bumper, or hitch? They are likely hollow, and open at the ends, allowing an easy hallway for mice and ground squirrels to walk through, getting into the belly area, and finding the aforementioned breaches. If you already have the bellypan off, I reccomend the foam treatment where described. If not, seal the frame ends! -tim
Old 09-05-2006, 04:42 PM   #61
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Ok, I get it. makes sense. like the a-frame channels are open under the coupler...don't know if they're open on the other end. the frame rails in back are likely wide open. I also found that the hole where the sink drain goes down through the floor is plenty big enough for critter access. I'm sure there's others that I have yet to find.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:04 AM   #62
1965 Safari Twin 22'

1965 22' Safari
Sammamish , Washington
back with an update

OK, we just got back to the trailor in the mountains after about a month to find seven dead mice in the traps, two boxes of decon empty and not one mouse in the water bucket! So much for that nifty idea. I further read on another web site that you need to rig up a wire across the top with an empty TP tube strung in the middle for them to fall off of (like a rolling log type deal). I like the suggestion of smearing peanut butter along the inside. I may have to try this next.

We also used that spray foam all along the back underbelly. Pest web sites say not to use this but hey, how are the mice going to know to chew till they are in? If you keep checking, you will be able to monitor this I think. I also put peppermint oil in baby food jars, no lids all around in cabinets per all your posts. Bounce dryer sheets were worthless for us, in fact traps set next to them caught mice and I must have had two full boxes stuffed all around.

The latest try; I bought some deterrent granules on line that were apparently studied at the University of Alabama and proven to deter at something like 90%. It has sulfur and napthaline and I sprinkled it all over under the trailer. It does smell so I did it right before we left. It is called RAT-A-WAY and I think it's available at repell.com. I will report back when next we visit.

This is war!

Sammamishsafari
Old 09-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Has any one tried to use a fumigant?..we've used one of those 8 hour spray fumigants a couple of days before we leave for a trip..we protect all exposed clothing, storage items in plastic, lay newspapers over the upholsteries, and flooring, then activate the button..close the door, come back 24 hours later, then air out the coach ..remove aerosol can, newspapers, and vaccuum all surfaces..we find it gets rid of any insects, and have not found any rats, mice, or droppings..I think the smell chases any out..
Old 11-09-2006, 10:42 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thumbs up Something that works for mice

Abundant summer moisture and now a dry autumn means the always aggressive, voracious mice are looking for food and shelter here in the high desert mountains. My garage seemed to be Mecca and was literally over run with them. The cat was bringing in two an evening for just half an hour "hunting" in the garage. The were getting into everything.

Altho' the cat would beg to differ, she is not a good rodent solution, particularly with Hantavirus and such. Poison is too nasty because of the collateral damage. Traps...yuck. Anyway, I was in the brand new Sharper IMage store in Albuquerque a couple of weeks ago looking at all the cool stuff and came across something called a Mouse Mover. I've heard mixed results about gadgets like that, that supposedly admit sound waves the rodents hate. While I was looking at the package a helpful clerk offered that her mother who also lives in rural area, but in far northern New MExico swears by the Mouse Mover. She described how her mother's house would periodically get over run by mice. She got Mouse Movers from the Denver Sharper image store and now she has absolutely no probably with them after putting them in the problem spots. Well, you know how it is when you get desperate....

I have to say it looks like the Mouse Mover works. It's been going in the garage for 10 days now. Just as a test, I left some of the mousies' favorite stuff to munch on the floor and counters of the garage. It's still there, un nibbled. The cat has spent several evenings in the garage and come back empty pawed. So I think this thing actually works. I'm going to get one for the Airstream, the hot tub, the basement, and the Dodge this weekend (we've had several serious wiring harness disasters thanks to pack rats) . Unfortunately, the Mouse MOvers are really pricey; close to $50. They are a Sharper Image exclusive so there's no place to get them cheaper. But hey, mice and pack rats have caused literally thousands of dollars of damage to vehicles, stored stuff and my hot tub. On Airylle's maiden voyage we listened to one chewing up in the end cap several nites in a row. Anybody else have any good luck with other rodent routers?

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:22 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Bait the Trap..???

We had a mouse invasion 4 years ago. They got into the garage and then basement. In the process they invaded our beloved 96 Coleman popup, that we sold after buying the A/S.

They chewed their way through the sunbrella/drapes/bedding covers. Cost State Farm $3,600 to replace all that. All that because I decided to put bird feeders out that drew them to the house.

We took 20 plus out of the basement and another dozen or so out of the garage - we never baited a trap.

At the onset we called a local Varmit Eliminator company - they advised that for them to come out would be a waste of our money (appreciated) but gave us the following advice:

- never bait a trap - your just drawing in more mice with the odor

- mice always travel along the edges whenever possible - they don't like to cross open spaces so set your traps up against the edges of cabinets/walls look for what you would think is a natural path

- use the black plastic quick release traps - they have a yellow "bait tab" and a V shaped release - mice will be curious enough to cross them

- mice can get through a hole the size of a dime - if you can't do a long term seal pack any openings with rough steel wool (aluminum wool in the case of an A/S if you plan to leave it).

Going for over kill we also bought the electronic deterents from Target. Not sure if they still have the same ones. The larger two decks of cards size for the garage - it has an A/B switch depending on the varmit. The round ones for the basement. The round ones did nothing for mice but got rid of the spiders.

Our A/S is unfortunately in a campground (we can't store it in our development). Very wooded campground and a bunch of folks who have been there for years. Advise they gave us being newbies there this year:

- dryer sheets all over the trailer to refresh the air and keep out spiders - not mice

- moth balls under the trailer and placed on paper plates throughout the trailer to keep mice away

We did the moth ball thing under the A/S but used the hanging cakes under the sink - in the closets - in the trunk.

We'll see what happens.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I have used the traditional spring traps and the sticky traps side by side, both with peanut butter. The sticky trap seems to have a better average catch.
If the mouse is still alive, place the trap upside down in a bucket of water. It takes about 1-2 seconds for the mouse to drown. If that.
Sorry I don't know the brands, but I have had better luck with the white plastic sticky traps vs the black plastic ones. With the black ones, I found mouse paw prints on the "sticky" surface, it wasn't sticky enough.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Snap traps are the way to go in my opinion - no bait.

This is the trap I was talking about. Notice the chewed plastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap Trap 001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	28564  
Old 11-17-2006, 09:14 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
We tried the peppermint oil. Cupcake has a nice aroma about her and I guess the mice like it too. I'm aware of the alternative but afraid to put moth balls/cakes inside because of the long lingering odor. Ike has baited w/peanut butter and chocolate. PB has worked but the chocolate was gone and the trap not snapped. The thought of them even being in there disgusts me.
Do those "sound wave" things have to be electrified?
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #69
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
I hate mice!

As soon as we arrived home with our AS we took off the belly pan and got rid off the wet, smelly fiberglass underneath. The smell was terrible and it was full of mouse waste. Since I have a chronic illness that involves my immune system my husband wouldn't let me near it. While we didn't see any mice inside the unit itself we found several dead ones the next morning caught either by our very talented cat or our Schnauzer (also a great hunter).

But the next day while removing a section of front inside skin a nest of babies dropped out of the wall. Now my husband wants to tear out all of the inside skin all through our AS and look to be sure there aren't more. I don't want to even think about doing all that!

He is upset because he says he can still smell mouse. I put a sonic mouse chaser inside which must be working since the dog found two more mice huddling in some garden hose at the side of the house. I would have to think that they'd rather be inside the AS then outside right now. Anyway, does anyone have any comments/suggestions regarding mice in the walls?
Old 11-18-2006, 12:40 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Thumbs up Sharper Image "Mouse Movers"

I posted this before on this thread, but since it's sooo long you might not have seen it. High desert mice and pack rats are unsurpassed in their destructiveness, particularly to vehicles. We've suffered thousands of dollars of damage. A mouse (or mice) accompanied us on our 3 week maiden voyage in Airylle, and I can't tell you how annoying and disgusting it was to find chewed food in the pantry and to hear the little monstors chewing on something--oh God don't let it be the wiring--in the end cap over our heads when we were lying in bed. We even had Athena, our most excellent mouser with us, but she never could catch them.

I tried all the different traps, humane and inhumane, but the thing about traps is that the little monsters just come back. The Mouse Mover from Sharper Image is really pricey but it works. I only wish I'd found out about them sooner. I've heard all kinds of varying reports on the sonic repellants that they are a scam or that they work. I'm here to tell you the Mouse Mover works. I've got one in the Airstream, one in the control panel of the hot tub (that was a $600.00 wiring harness disaster), one in the garage, 2 in the basement and one in each vehicle parked outside. The thing that is supposed to be superior about the Mouse MOver is that it constantly changed frequency so the little buggers can't get used to it.

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote