Old 08-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We had our AS is storage over the winter and when we went to check up on things - there they were - the evil mouse droppings (just a few - but one is too many if you ask me).

We asked our mechanic what they do to keep mice / rodents out of cars they have in storage - and recommended peppermint oil. We thought he was crazy - but we tried it. Never seen a dropping since. Mice and rodents seem to absolutely hate it.

You get a few of the "sippy cups" that toddlers use. Take a few cotton balls, soake them in the peppermint oil. Then put the soaked cotton balls in the cups. The lids let out the odor - but when the tip over - they don't spill.

We have a couple in our 16' all the time - just a little smell of peppermint - nothing overpowering. AND - no little furry friends.

Give it a try

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:16 PM   #44
1965 Safari Twin 22'

1965 22' Safari
Sammamish , Washington
Over run with mice

Hi, we have our '64 safari up in the mountains and were not able to get to it since last fall and it was like the mice had a party in our trailer. We do not keep food in it but did have a bottle of wine which the mice literally chewed out the cork and I guess drank. It was on it's side in the under bed compartment and there was no wine on the floor!

One of the farmers told us to put a bucket of water 1/2 full in the trailer with a stick so the mice could climb up, fall in and drown. Poison bait apparently makes them thirsty so they will die in the bucket and not in the walls or outside. There is no other water near our trailer so this hopefully will work.

We are 6 hours from our property where the trailer is, so even though we thought we had sealed every hole; apparently not, and we have long months where we cannot get up to check on it. We also have luck with snap traps and peanut butter. You can also wrap thread (not too tight) around the little bait part to catch their teeth and spring the trap. This works well for rats which are harder to catch and smarter but have big teeth.

It's such a pain to open your trailer when you first get to it and find droppings over every surface. A real drag.

Julia

Old 08-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Keep them from getting in

All great posts on how to get them out once it. What I want to know is where do they get it and how to keep them from getting in again.
We had a brand X trailer for a little less than a year an no mice. We got the Aistream and have had it for about 2 months and found mice in it today when we went to get it ready for the Labor Day weekend. Luckily I found them before my wife did and /I manually "dispatched" them. My wife is the jump up on the table and scream type, she once jumped out of a moving vehicle because one jumped out of the airconditioning vent, and she was driving to boot (honest to God true story) I set snap and glue traps to get any more stragglers in the trailer.
In looking around the wheel wells I found the air conditioner drain tube that comes down through the road side wheel well was not sealed so I sealed it with some self expanding foam. Does anybodt know of any other potential openings where the little vermin can get in???

By the way it is a 2006 30' Classic with slide.

Thanks for any advice,
Carl and Elaine
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Carl and Elaine

The peppermint oil keeps them out. I always have a couple of sippy cups in the trailer while its in storage. Two weeks ago I put it in storage and forgot to put the cups in - guess what - I had about 10 droppings in one of the drawers (luckily that was all).

Bottom line - whenever the peppermint oil is in the trailer - the mice stay away.

It really has worked for us. Give it a try. (If it doesn't work - the worse thing that will happen is a minty trailer!)

Tori

p.s. - for a 30' trailer - you will need several sippy cups

The People from the Pod
pod people is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Sippy cups???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod people
Carl and Elaine

The peppermint oil keeps them out. I always have a couple of sippy cups in the trailer while its in storage.
Bottom line - whenever the peppermint oil is in the trailer - the mice stay away.
How much oil do you put in the cup? How about a picture of your sippy cups and where you place them? Floor, counters, drawers? Would the peppermint draw other critters? Like bears?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 08-31-2006, 08:42 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- I had been getting mice in my '72, and figured (correctly, I think) that they were getting in through any one of a number of openings where the chassis rails penetrated the box for the fresh water tank, which would lead them to the hole-in-the-floor area inside the kitchen cabinet where the drain valves are. This seems to be a design flaw on at least the '70's models. At first I tried stuffing the holes that I saw with fiberglass or steel wool, thinking they would not want to chew through that. Wrong! I still kept catching them in traps inside the cabinet, and then finally found a nest made of fiberglass and steel wool down in that drain valve hole. So I picked up a can of that expanding foam insulation from HD, crawled under,(I have no belly pan at the moment) and sprayed full every conceivable hole or crack where there would be access into the water tank pan. This was a week ago and haven't had a mouse since. I will crawl under today to see if it looks like they are trying to chew their way in again. Whether or not that insulation will disintegrate over time, and with towing vibration, remains to be seen. Works for now- Tim
Old 08-31-2006, 08:53 AM   #49
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Tim, if you could snap a pic of the area you're talking about, that would be great. From what I can recall on my '73, that area is pretty well sealed up. there's plenty of other spots, I'm sure, but that one seems pretty well locked up.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:08 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
How much oil do you put in the cup? How about a picture of your sippy cups and where you place them? Floor, counters, drawers? Would the peppermint draw other critters? Like bears?

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

Hi-

after hearing about the peppermint oil I put the oil on cotton balls and tossed a cotton ball in each and every closet, cabinet and drawer I had. This was about a month ago and no mice. The true test will be tomorrow when I go to where my Airstream is parked for the weekend and look for droppings. And yes it does make the AS smell great! But I noticed the scent fades after about 3 weeks or so, just incase I am bringing another bottle!
Will keep you posted.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
electronic pest devices

I know it's been awhile since someone mentioned these. I had tried them with little success. UNTIL I stopped screwing around & took them OFF inaudible. Yes, then the sound is annoying to all mammels, including humans. But, works for when you have to let her set for the season. You may get them coming in & poop. But, they seem to hate the sound enough to not want to take up housekeeping. Which for me is the key! Please don't use D-con if you could help it. Food chain, which includes wildlife, owls (which help keep the mice under control) as well as local pets, all can get sick &/or die.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Mouse Thoughts and Questions

The scented dryer sheets had worked for 4 winter (or maybe we got lucky?)until last winter. We found we'd had a visiter in the Spring. It was the old Orville Reddenbacher draw again. Plus a very few pine needles and what looked like reg. corn kernels from outside. Not too many droppings and some wee-wee evidence. Disgusting, but easily cleaned and no where near what it could have been. I assumed everything edible was out last Fall.......... this season we will use the "double check" system.
The paper products, baggies/wraps and anything else that can be used/shredded for nesting goes in a plastic container or is removed.

NOW FOR Q's: (1) How much peppermint oil do you put on each cotton ball?(2) Is this one of the tiny bottles purchased in pharmacys & grocery baking sections for candy making? (3) If not, where does one find larger bottles?
(4) Do you think it would work if you tied the cotton balls with string and attached them in places where they would hang suspended? (Maybe they'd loose their scent faster that way.)

Thanks a bunch!,
suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
Quote:
NOW FOR Q's: (1) How much peppermint oil do you put on each cotton ball?(2) Is this one of the tiny bottles purchased in pharmacys & grocery baking sections for candy making? (3) If not, where does one find larger bottles?
(4) Do you think it would work if you tied the cotton balls with string and attached them in places where they would hang suspended? (Maybe they'd loose their scent faster that way.)

Thanks a bunch!,
suz

Hi Suz

I purchase the peppermint essential oil from the health food store. It is extremely potent and I mean POTENT, so i moisten each cotton ball until it is slightly damp. You dont want to get any of this on your skin or clothing. It comes in a tiny bottle and has a top on it so it only comes out a few drops at a time. Didnt find any evidence of mice in my Airstream this weekend either! When you first put the oil on the cotton balls, the scent will be very strong but I have found after a few days it wears off. Which makes me wonder if there is a better way to keep this stuff going for awhile. I got the idea from this forum and someone was putting the oil in a few sippy cups and placing them around. The oil is a little pricey so I dont know how much they were putting in the cups. If you find a better way let me know and I will do the same.

Thanks! Nancy
Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Curtis , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammamishsafari

One of the farmers told us to put a bucket of water 1/2 full in the trailer with a stick so the mice could climb up, fall in and drown. Poison bait apparently makes them thirsty so they will die in the bucket and not in the walls or outside. There is no other water near our trailer so this hopefully will work.
this is a really great suggestion - thanks!

Here's another remedy my husband read in a magazine for those who don't want to use the poison bait:

Take that same bucket as discussed above and smear peanut butter on the INSIDE of the bucket far down enough just above the water line. They will be attracted to the peanut butter and still fall in and drown. Haven't tried it yet. If anyone does or has please share with us!

Thanks!

Nancy
Old 09-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Santa Rosa Valley , California
I too have been trying to seal every possible opening in our 1999 25 foot Excella. I noticed that the A frame forward of the trailer has holes for electical conduit that were not sealed and the ends of the A frame themselves were open. Once they get inside the A frame they can come out through conduit holes into the area under the floor. I was putting vaseline on the jack stand for a while, it may have worked because I go a month or so before one gets in. I still have openings that I haven't found however. I use cheese on old fashioned traps. It works but the cheese drys out in about a week.

I would appreciate any thoughts on how they gain entry.

Don Stewart
Old 09-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Santa Rosa Valley , California
I forgot to add where I found additional openings in my 1999 Excella 25 footer. Check the spare tire well. The transverse member has 2 inch holes on both sides. Only one is used and it does not have a grommet. There are also holes in the A frame members in the wheel well area.

Don Stewart