Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Severna Park , Maryland
An ottoman for the FlyingCloud??

We really like our late model 28' Flying Cloud. The front sofa has great functionality, i.e. storage under, pull out bed. But, I would love to have a place to put my feet up!! Thought about removing the sofa and replace with two recliners; but, that sofa is great for a nap.

Has anybody made an ottoman? Any ideas out there? Where do you put it to get it out of the way when using the trailer and when towing?

Was thinking about basically a small, padded upholstered box with an opening top for storage of wine bottles.

Somebody give me an idea that will move our trailer from great to just about perfect. Thanks.
sailorii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorii View Post
We really like our late model 28' Flying Cloud. The front sofa has great functionality, i.e. storage under, pull out bed. But, I would love to have a place to put my feet up!! Thought about removing the sofa and replace with two recliners; but, that sofa is great for a nap.

Has anybody made an ottoman? Any ideas out there? Where do you put it to get it out of the way when using the trailer and when towing?

Was thinking about basically a small, padded upholstered box with an opening top for storage of wine bottles.

Somebody give me an idea that will move our trailer from great to just about perfect. Thanks.
Sounds like you already got a great idea. Start drawing it up and order some fabric to match the sofa, some foam, and you in business! Be sure to share with pics!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Quote:

We just made an ottoman for our 65 Safari for the same reason as you stated above. It also serves to store our convection/toaster oven. When we travel it is placed by the wall between the fridge and coucho.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0245.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	148284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0246.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	148285  

Name:	DSCN0247.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	148286  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
We, unfortunately have 2 ugly green metal folding chairs, as PO apparently kept the Zip Dees. For some reason my wife is really attached to these metal chairs. I can't get them out. We use them as foot rests.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 01-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Nashville , Tennessee
We picked up a couple at Target sometime back. Approximately $20 each. I've also seen them at Walmart and other big box stores since. Pretty good selection of solid colors, also faux leather. Great foot stools. We use one to store our dog's things and the second our travel books, etc. Another fellow streamer thought his were a little too low for footstool comfort so he added little "feet" on the bottom. Ours stow under the dinette but the they will ride just fine in front of the sofa.

Debbie
dmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm, the hand-made suggestions would do if one is crafty.

We ordered a small storage ottoman online a couple of years ago, to sit between the driver and passenger seat up front. The lid flipped over to make a tray that held a few little things and the laptop. The inside was used for blankets, sweatshirts, etc.

Worked nicely til we found Lily in October 2010, who HAD to be close and would jump over the ottoman into my lap.

As has been said, you have your idea. Get one or make one.

Maggie
Old 01-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Footlocker

Buy a small footlocker type trunk, make a pillow for the top and velcro or strap it on over the lid. I wish I had my dad's WWII trunks (he was an officer and had two) as they were really heavy duty and with the name, etc. would be a great conversation piece. When you take the cushion off, you've got a coffee table.

Most have metal feet - I'd put on some rubber ones to keep it from sliding easily.

I did see an oval ottoman recently that had a fitted tray that could be put on top for a coffee table, or removed when you wanted to put your feet up.

Paula
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Buy a small footlocker type trunk, make a pillow for the top and velcro or strap it on over the lid. I wish I had my dad's WWII trunks (he was an officer and had two) as they were really heavy duty and with the name, etc. would be a great conversation piece. When you take the cushion off, you've got a coffee table.

Most have metal feet - I'd put on some rubber ones to keep it from sliding easily.

I did see an oval ottoman recently that had a fitted tray that could be put on top for a coffee table, or removed when you wanted to put your feet up.

Paula
My son has my Dad's college footlocker....but it's kinda heavy. Unfortunately my Father's Navy Lockers? (he was an Officer as well) are off the coast of Okinawa under a lot of water, along with all of his other possessions. All I have are his replacement dress blues. He never replaced the rest, the war ended and he was discharged.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I too like to have something to put my feet on while watching the telly - but didn't want something that would take up too much space.

In the end, I just bought a very inexpensive folding wooden TV table. I cut teh legs and relocated the pivot point of the folding legs and brought it down to coffee table height and it serves the purpose perfectly - also makes a good little table!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I found these ottoman/storage boxes at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

They are lightweight, the top comes off so you can put stuff inside, and best of all....are collapsible. As you can see, they also make a nice little
coffee table; makes the lounge look more like a little living room.

Besides black faux leather, they also came in ivory.

Perfect for an RV because they do not take up much space and have multiple uses.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:

We had a similar dilemma and ended up buying a padded upholstered box at Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $40. I've just had a quick look on their website and the cheapest available seem to be $89. Ours works really well though. Great for feet and extra storage. Good luck.
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Cheapest I usually find at Ross Dress For Less and TJ Maxx and Tuesday Morning. Come in all kinds of shapes and materials.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I found these ottoman/storage boxes at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

They are lightweight, the top comes off so you can put stuff inside, and best of all....are collapsible. As you can see, they also make a nice little
coffee table; makes the lounge look more like a little living room.

Besides black faux leather, they also came in ivory.

Perfect for an RV because they do not take up much space and have multiple uses.

Nice. can you show a pic of them collapsed?

Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
We got an nice faux leather storage ottoman from Target. It's brown and I customized it with hammered antique brass studs to go with our RL chic look. The one we got has a lid that reverses to an end table. Its a great ottoman and extra seat and slides right under the fold out table in our Sovereign 21 and is a handy cocktail table too!

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzzeee
It's brown and I customized it with hammered antique brass studs to go with our RL chic look.
I used to work for Polo RL. Ol' Ralph does not do "looks", young lady. We sold LIFESTYLES.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Nice. can you show a pic of them collapsed?
Sure. Collapsed ottoman/storage box left with lid right.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
These are the $20 cubes from Target. We have since replaced them with a single larger ottoman that is covered with leather like material. They make a great place to stow blankets, laptops, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5719.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	148317  
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlee View Post
I used to work for Polo RL. Ol' Ralph does not do "looks", young lady. We sold LIFESTYLES.
And I'm living that lifestyle... or at least trying to When I get "Stella" all done, I'll post before/after pics...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Here's a pic of ours -- super handy and I have stuff stored in it as well -- lantern and something else I got tired of digging out of under the bed The first pic shows what it looks like with the seat reversed - makes a handy cocktail tray!

BTW - that's our family room floor - I took these after I'd finished putting the studs on - don't have a pic of in the AS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ottoman (3).jpg
Views:	148
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	148320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ottoman (2).jpg
Views:	135
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	148321  

Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
When I get "Stella" all done, I'll post before/after pics...
Oooh, yes please, I LOVE looking at interiors!

eta: which lifestyle are you doing? Every time I see "Safari" on AirForums, it makes me jump a bit, because of course that's Ralphie's most famous single lifestyle, the whole Out-of-Africa Safari thing.