Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Am I thinking correctly?

OK all you long time AS people tell me if my theory is correct.

We have a 72, the screen door has a plastic slider catch the holds the door closed to the door frame itself.There is another latch which attaches the screen door to the exterior door Then there is a catch on the exterior door that holds the door back against the trailer itself.

Ok so if someone slams the door shut with the screen door latched to the exterior door you have the potential of locking yourself out. Anyone following me?

I'm assuming this happened more than once because the tip of the latch that would latch the screen door to the door frame has the tip broken off and the small fixed window next to the door was smash in when we bought the trailer.

Am I correct or not? I don't want to replace the latch that has the broken tip on it if I'm just setting myself up for locking myself out.

Annette
bullydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
cannot answer as to why but on a recent trip my wife and i locked ourselves out twice in one day. Neither one of us touched the lock on the way out but never the less we were locked out.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

Yep, happened to us.

marie
Old 07-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Just cannot do that on our coach. Now have I placed a jinx upon us!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I dont think so ... I think that your latch may just need to be adjusted. test your theory while inside. The screen door should just stick to the main door while the latch only has enough tension to keep it from blowing open in the breeze not keeping you from pulling it open. The black "catches" are still available from Jackson Ctr. I tink they were 13.00 or so?? Our 72 has never locked us out and we have an 8 & 2 year old!
Mike

on edit: I think there is even a plastic wedge where the catch for the screen catch hits the main door frame that helps the catch slide open ... maybe yours is missing. if the trailer was here I would snap a picture.
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Yep! been locked out numerous times I think what happens is as you go to leave from inside, you accidentally hit, slide the locking lever down. I always have a spare set of keys for both trailer and TV hidden on the trailer.

Bob
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Okay - I'm confused now too. I have a '73 with the same set up and don't see how I could (in theory) get locked out in this situation. Mine can only be locked from the outside via the key or from the inside via pushing down on the locking pin that's located on the inside, below the handle (this pin seems really hard to operate to lock and unlock). If everything slams shut, why would it lock?

Ohhhhh ---- my brain is going to explode!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
The situation that I believe Bullysdogmom is talking about is not really being locked out, but the effect is the same. I have experienced it. The screen door is firmly latched to to the trailer. When the main door is then closed, the screen latches firmly to the door while staying firmly latched to the trailer. When the main door is opened from the outside, it will not pull open, because it is latched to the screen door which is latched to the trailer. I finally just decided to pull as hard as I could, and everything finally popped open without breaking anything. After that I messed around with the mounting screws on both latches (from the inside) until it did not happen again. I am still not sure what I did to fix it. However since then I have always made a point of latching the screen to the door before shutting the door. That way the screen does not travel far enough to engage the trailer.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
The situation that I believe Bullysdogmom is talking about is not really being locked out, but the effect is the same. I have experienced it. The screen door is firmly latched to to the trailer. When the main door is then closed, the screen latches firmly to the door while staying firmly latched to the trailer. When the main door is opened from the outside, it will not pull open, because it is latched to the screen door which is latched to the trailer. I finally just decided to pull as hard as I could, and everything finally popped open without breaking anything. After that I messed around with the mounting screws on both latches (from the inside) until it did not happen again. I am still not sure what I did to fix it. However since then I have always made a point of latching the screen to the door before shutting the door. That way the screen does not travel far enough to engage the trailer.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Ken
And that what I'm afraid is going to happen to us! I think that is why the tip is broken off the brown plastic latch. Someone was locked out and they had to pull HARD the get the door open. With the tip broken I can't latch the screen door from the inside to keep the door shut to keep the dog from escaping.

Annette
Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Annette,

Do you have this on the door frame where the screen door latch attaches to the frame on the interior. Without it the latch would just extend out over your interior frame. With this on it you don't reach in the screen and pull the latch back to open the screen - you just pull on the screen door.

The same would then apply when both doors are closed. You could then add a metal slide latch inside to keep the pets from pushing the screen door open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2824_3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	83751  
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
latch system

Here are some pictures of our 31 foot 72 sov. I think the doors would be the same. (top left picture) The white plastic piece should prevent you from being "locked" out as you can see it "helps " the latch slide open with a small force on the door (little more force than just one fingertip) My grandparents had dogs over the years and Grandpa added a slide latch (can be seen in the lower left picture) lower on the door that they could reach from the "bug door" I hope that the pictures help. Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1709.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	83747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1708.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	83748  

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	351.4 KB
ID:	83749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1706.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	83750  

Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
What gary said! He was faster than I Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by memgrove2000 View Post
What gary said! He was faster than I Mike
But you have way better pictures.....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Gary, I was thinking that you had the better picture any way have a great day, hope to meet you on the road! Mike
Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
old mystic , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
Annette,

Do you have this on the door frame where the screen door latch attaches to the frame on the interior. Without it the latch would just extend out over your interior frame. With this on it you don't reach in the screen and pull the latch back to open the screen - you just pull on the screen door.

The same would then apply when both doors are closed. You could then add a metal slide latch inside to keep the pets from pushing the screen door open.
Yes I have that little white thingy on the door frame. Maybe the tip being broken off the brown slider catch keeps it from doing it's job. The screen door will not stay shut I have to bungee it to the window latch.

Annette
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
cannot answer as to why but on a recent trip my wife and i locked ourselves out twice in one day. Neither one of us touched the lock on the way out but never the less we were locked out.
We have a "lock out kit" available at no charge, since Airstream won't correct the problem.

Send us a SASE with 2 stamps on it, and we will send that kit with instructions to you.

Many others have installed that kit, which stops the problem.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We have a "lock out kit" available at no charge, since Airstream won't correct the problem.

Send us a SASE with 2 stamps on it, and we will send that kit with instructions to you.

Andy

I have a 1972 does this lockout kit apply to my years lock?

Steve
loechli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loechli View Post
I have a 1972 does this lockout kit apply to my years lock?

Steve
Sorry, but no.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Andy, what years are affected with this problem? I have a 1977 Argosy 24' is that affected also?
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I own a 76 Tradewind that constantly locks me out. My screen door hits the lock button on the door when I am shutting them and flips it from unlock to lock. Keep a spare key outside.
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote