Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
Aluminum tent camping

We are just about to put the shell back on the frame with a new floor and water tanks in our 17ft 1967 Caravel. We are going to attend the Vintage Trailer Academy in New Mexico in May. How together do we need to make the inside
so it is safe to travel 2000 miles?

vanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1957 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Will you have your interior skins in place?

Airstreamin' dreamin'.

Follow our blog!
lonewolf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I hit the same point you are at a few months ago. I wanted to get my aluminum tent out and camp in it a few times with mock furnishings before deciding where to place the outlets, and finalizing my interior design. So, without interior skins, I have gone to a couple of rallies, a camping trip or two, and have probably logged over a thousand miles. Have not observed any damage, or anything to cause me concern.

I do not believe that the interior skins contribute materially to the structure of the shell. When you observe the spacing of the interior rivets (and the fact the they are pop rivets), it is improbable they matter.

I do recommend that you fasten down any furnishings you put in place so that no futon frames or the like slide around and dent your shell from the inside.

I started a thread asking for folks to share their aluminum tent interiors--failed to post what mine ended up like.

Anyway, good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1967 17' Caravel
Oakland , California
We hope to have some interior skins attached. We have the interior design nailed down. Good to live with a professional furniture maker. Our first task was to put the water and grey tanks under the frame on either side of the axle. We are going to use a composting
toilet as this eliminates a the hassle of plumbing a black tank. Now we have 32 gallons of fresh water and 32 gallons of grey. (Ronco tanks).
vanster is offline   Reply With Quote