Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Question Aluminum frame work material ?

I have a huge distributor near by and can get any size extrusion I need.

I'm doing two retro fits, one a dinette that I want to use (I think unless someone has a better idea) a square or rectangle shape to go from the front ledge to the rear ledge in the seat tops, then put perhaps 1/4" ply on. So it is about a 24" span.

The other is the base for a short queen bed that is 60" span, with 1/4" on top.

I’m figuring on 24” or so on center.

What size extrusions and what thickness would work?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Hi Lipets;Standard rule of thumb is to figure out what available height you have. The deeper the cross section of extrusion the more weight it can cary. For instance, 1x2" in vertical position can support about 87% more than than 1x1" in the same wall thickness. Try to orient the extrusion with it's largest diamention toward the direction of the load applied onto it. Bear in mind that extrusions are available in multiple config. For example, you can buy 1x2" rectangular tubing with thick 1" side and 1/2 the thickness on the 2" side. This configuration keeps the weight down while retaining high load capability. There are hundreds of configurations in extrusion world and the data book which your supplier should have, will tell you what loads it can carry. However on the 24" centers in the seating area I would use aluminun clad 1/4" plywood. "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc
However on the 24" centers in the seating area I would use aluminun clad 1/4" plywood.
I understand what you're saying except for the above?

Old 09-28-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Arrow Aluminum clad plywood

Hi Lipets; Aluminum clad plywood is known also as "Sign Board". It is used for outdoor signs, it has thin aluminum skin bonded to each side. The skins sandwich the plywood core in between, making them exceptionally stiff since the aluminum skin cannot strech. The flex, versus the standard plywood is greatly minimized. It is glued with same grade glue as marine ply because is ment to withstand outdoor conditons for many years. Test it and you will be amazed. As a matter of fact, we just purchased new to us 1973 Argosy 26' which we gutted out. We are half way into building a new Stainless Steel undercarriage. We are also replacing entire floor, and two guesses what I have for it? 5/8 sign board. Wet floor wil be a thing of the past. Aluminum clad over it will keep all moisture out of the floor on both sides. If you need any further info I can give you manufacturers name. Good luck with the project. "boatdoc" P.S. we use it for floors in aluminum boats for years.
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Very interesting on boats they use a light weight core of balsa wood sandwiched between two layer of fiberglass, same idea.