Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 05:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Allure Flooring or Something Else?

We are nearing the stage in or renovation of our 1971 29' International where we will begin to put down the flooring. Two weeks ago I purchased Allure waterproof flooring from Home Depot. Since then I have read about people having issues with it expanding and shrinking during temperature changes.

The trailer is stored year round in north central Texas, so it will sit through some very high temperatures when not being used in the summer. On the other hand, the lowest temperature it will probably see would be around 20 degrees, although we do have the occasional winter where we see temps in the mid-high teens.

Should I be worried about the Allure product expanding or shrinking? I read some pretty bad stories of people having their Allure flooring shrink and leave gaps between planks following cold weather.

Should I keep the Allure or return it for something else?
2.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7 View Post
We are nearing the stage in or renovation of our 1971 29' International where we will begin to put down the flooring. Two weeks ago I purchased Allure waterproof flooring from Home Depot. Since then I have read about people having issues with it expanding and shrinking during temperature changes.

The trailer is stored year round in north central Texas, so it will sit through some very high temperatures when not being used in the summer. On the other hand, the lowest temperature it will probably see would be around 20 degrees, although we do have the occasional winter where we see temps in the mid-high teens.

Should I be worried about the Allure product expanding or shrinking? I read some pretty bad stories of people having their Allure flooring shrink and leave gaps between planks following cold weather.

I had a little shrinkage issue with my Allure flooring, but our winters get down to below zero sometimes. I think part of the problem was that it had the beds set on top of it so it didn't totally float. It went back together when it got warm out. That was the sticky edged Allure flooring in my previous Avion. I have a different trailer now & installed Allure click together and installed it so it's totally floating. I don't think you'll have an issue where you live. Especially if you install it so nothing holds it back from expanding & contracting. Allure has lots of great choices in flooring!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

_ , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky B. View Post
I had a little shrinkage issue with my Allure flooring, but our winters get down to below zero sometimes. I think part of the problem was that it had the beds set on top of it so it didn't totally float. It went back together when it got warm out. That was the sticky edged Allure flooring in my previous Avion. I have a different trailer now & installed Allure click together and installed it so it's totally floating. I don't think you'll have an issue where you live. Especially if you install it so nothing holds it back from expanding & contracting. Allure has lots of great choices in flooring!
Thank-you so much for the information!
2.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Just last week, I completed the installation of Allure flooring in my 67 Caravel (gutted). The weather in Austin was perfect for the task and right in the middle of the range required by the manufacturer. Currently, the floor is totally floating as I have not yet installed any of the cabinetry. My starting row at the door was placed tight to the door threshold for aesthetic reasons and I notice almost an 1/8" gap open up after a few cold evening (50*). The gap closed up when the temp came back up. So, the cabinets will definitely restrict the movement and possibly cause gaps to open in cold weather. I am not too worried about this as normal wood flooring has gaps and looks appropriate. I am more concerned about 100* plus days and the flooring buckling. Time will tell, but I sure love the look currently. I used Rustic Pine.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:06 AM   #5

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Did ours in Shaw Forte. Claims are much less affected by temperature. So far so good.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1476975986.288158.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	273825

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
We have a friend in the flooring business and I asked for an opinion. She recommended Novocore Prestige waterproof flooring. I believe it is an LVT. Be careful when researching this, there is another brand called Novacore (with an "a"). Here is a youtube video on Novocore:

I have not heard of anyone installing this in an airstream - but she convinced me this is the one. I plan on installing this sometime in the next month or two. If anyone has any experience with this product, please let me know.

Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we had minimal expansion in Summer...I have had the allure for over 5 years.
Leave a small space around the edges...
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
from their website: NOVOCORE::
Expansion and contraction is a fact of life
Luxury vinyl tiles and planks are made of … vinyl! Vinyl is susceptible to temperature changes in its ambient environment which will cause the vinyl flooring to expand and contract with normal hot and cold fluctuations. When installing floating vinyl floors it is necessary to allow for this expansion by leaving a gap around the perimeter of the floor or anywhere it meets another floor or vertical surface.
Why gaps are important
We usually think of gaps as a bad thing. But when properly used, expansion gaps can relieve the pressure from heat expansion that can affect a floating floor before it meets an immovable, vertical obstruction like a wall, a doorpost, an installed cabinet, or a supporting column. Such close encounters between the floor and a wall, for example, can result in a noticeable and unsightly buckling or peaked appearance. To avoid this, Jim Kups, North American Technical Manager for Novalis Innovative Flooring, recommends maintaining uniform “expansion gaps” around the perimeter of the floor or at any vertical obstruction when installing.
What does an expansion gap look like?
Gaps are usually 5/16” between the outside edge of the floor (the perimeter) and the obstruction (see featured image). The gap is always hidden by a piece of trim molding, like a quarter-round or a transition. Against metal doorframes and areas where you cannot install a molding, use a color-coordinated silicone caulk to fill the gap and allow the floor to expand into the gap when necessary
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-20-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clovis , California
I've been lurking on this site in preparation for switching from our diesel pusher motorcoach back to a towable (99% certain it will be an AS). I installed Home Depots Allure in my current rig. Reasonably easy to install and a breeze to keep clean. I have noticed a slight increase in one of my gaps but I' not sure if it's weather related or an installation error on my part. Happy with it so far.
blahargoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
We installed Allure from Home Depot in our 1971 Sovereign in January of this year. Went through winter and the hot Central Texas summer with no issues. We have been living in our Airstream for 2 months and love the look and durability of the Allure flooring.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
stow , Ohio
Allure

We installed in our 2006 5th wheel 3 years ago and had no problems with it. It gets a lot colder up here than 20 degrees and it is looking good so far. Have installed LVF in both of bath rooms and it looks great easy to care for.
Carrma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Not sure about what to do with your Allure; however, I completed my flooring project last spring. I researched several brands, read warranties, etc. and ended up with an LVT of sorts. It is Moduleo from IVC. It is sold under several names. It is part of the Inspiration line and I chose country oak (light)- also called castle oak. What makes it unique, according to their info, is that the core is fiberglass. It is waterproof and looks great. It is not cheap. They claim to have the lowest expansion and shrinkage (little to none) comparatively speaking as per their brochure. It hasn't been down that long for me to comment on lock in place or any issues. I will tell you that it was over 100 degrees in the trailer this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	273880  
Old 10-20-2016, 08:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I installed Allure from HD in my Excella a little over a year ago. We are very happy with it.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
sunnyvale , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Not sure about what to do with your Allure; however, I completed my flooring project last spring. I researched several brands, read warranties, etc. and ended up with an LVT of sorts. It is Moduleo from IVC. It is sold under several names. It is part of the Inspiration line and I chose country oak (light)- also called castle oak. What makes it unique, according to their info, is that the core is fiberglass. It is waterproof and looks great. It is not cheap. They claim to have the lowest expansion and shrinkage (little to none) comparatively speaking as per their brochure. It hasn't been down that long for me to comment on lock in place or any issues. I will tell you that it was over 100 degrees in the trailer this summer.
Kinda crazy that they have a nice website, but you have to fill out a form to find a local retailer.
lesnlearned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.7 View Post

I installed the Home Depot Allure vinyl. I'm out here in So Cal. I installed the product last summer. Looked great but then about a month later the seams were coming apart, mainly on the narrow ends and mainly at the front and the rear of the trailer. I would watch it for days/weeks...expand and contract. The joint would never return to an acceptable gap, no gap.

The flooring moves together, meaning the connection length wise stays together and the separation occurs at the ends.

When I figured it was not going to get better on its own, I got a heat gun and reset those planks the following day. Next time I looked in the trailer, the same thing occurred. I thought about the sun so I had kept the window coverings closed.

Maybe the adhesive is no longer strong enough after the heat gun?

For now I will live with it but I would not recommend the product.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yes, it was difficult as it is a Euro product; however it is sold under many names. CarpetOne carries it as Invincible. The box has six brand names. FlooringAmerica sells it too but offhand I believe it is Downs. Also, I just spent some time in my AS and there are a few seams (Width direction) that are slightly gapped. It is in one area which I also ran it to the edge of the cabinet in front of the wardrobe so it is most likely installation rather than product. It is barely gapped but enough to see compared to the rest. No longitudinal gaps though. It was really hot this summer. Add to that I ran a dehumidifier making it over 100 inside consistently and the test was complete. It has been installed about 6 months.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909kenu View Post
I installed the Home Depot Allure vinyl. I'm out here in So Cal. I installed the product last summer. Looked great but then about a month later the seams were coming apart, mainly on the narrow ends and mainly at the front and the rear of the trailer. I would watch it for days/weeks...expand and contract. The joint would never return to an acceptable gap, no gap.

The flooring moves together, meaning the connection length wise stays together and the separation occurs at the ends.

When I figured it was not going to get better on its own, I got a heat gun and reset those planks the following day. Next time I looked in the trailer, the same thing occurred. I thought about the sun so I had kept the window coverings closed.

Maybe the adhesive is no longer strong enough after the heat gun?

For now I will live with it but I would not recommend the product.
I have never had that problem. My Allure has been in Georgia heat and cold for over 5 years. Only one slight space between two planks near the front door. My install error
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 10-29-2016, 07:51 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
I have never had that problem. My Allure has been in Georgia heat and cold for over 5 years. Only one slight space between two planks near the front door. My install error
I over bought the material by a box. At the time of repair, I removed some planks and reinstalled new ones. It separated again, some at the same place and others at new. I was thinking about adding adhesive but probably open up at the next joint or leak link. It's a good day to work on the trailer, 60* low and 80* high, partly cloudy, I'll try to remember to take a picture.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
My Allure results. This is the back front is the same but too much junk to move for a picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2016, 07:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909kenu View Post
My Allure results. This is the back front is the same but too much junk to move for a picture.
Was that the sticky edge Allure, or the snap together?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote