Old 08-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #29
. , .
hi cosmo'

i agree this isn't a septic tank and for weekend trips, with tanks filled/flushed at 2-3 day intervals,

really nothing but 3-5 gallons of water is needed, and since this in less than 1 INCH of water in a 35 gallon tank...

if camping with full hook ups or nearby a dump station...

i'd start with 10 gallons of water (4 brim FULL toilet bowls).

but for folks traveling on longer trips or

in situations where the tank isn't agitated, or emptied frequently (full timers parked)...

tank digestion matters.

the correct soup will completely liquify tank contents which reduces the change of blockages at the pipes/valves/drain ...

bacteria that digest tissue (cellulose) isn't in our intestines so this needs to be added...

and adding enzymes to help the bact break down foodstuffs (proteases, amylases, lipases) and tissue (cellulase) is useful

i've gone as long a 6-7 weeks without emptying the black tank without big time odor.

i favor products with a clearly defined ingredient list and a msds.

and don't have a clue what is in the happy camper stuff; their info sheet is cleverly vague.

i suspect it is a borax like agent or sodium hydrate but without enzymes or bacteria...

the old sailing adage...

"never put anything into the toilet that you haven't eaten first"...

is still the best advice.

they may be more online info related to the crapper than any other rv topic...

here is a crapper site with it's own forums!

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
st louis , Missouri
AS odor

I realize this post is late but,,,,, we just saw the posting. Our trailer is garaged and the tanks are clean but ours too has some type of odor. When we take the trailer out and start traveling the odor ceases. My husband feels that it is a gassing off odor.

Dan and Marty
air# 18667

2wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #31
. , .
my unit was done making "new trailer" odors at about 6-9 months of use.

summer storage?

one of the things that can cause odors is evaporation of water in the sink/shower traps...

and the toilet bowl.

i occasionally add the pink rv safe antifreeze to the toilet bowl and traps during the summer...

if now using the trailer for a few weeks.

the antifreeze evaporates too, but MUCH slower than water.

another option is to put the sink/shower DRAIN PLUGS IN to seal the openings and reduce evaporation.

still the best this is to leave the odors behind and go camping!

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Check under the Airstream and look for any small leaks. Could be a small water leak under the bathroom vanity and/or the closets. The small leak could have the carpet wet and this could be the smell. I know for sure because this happened to me. It was just a small leak but the carpet had been wet for a period of time.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
We spend 4 -6 months a year on the road in our Sovereign and I swear by bacteria based waste treatment. The best products I have found are Pure Power (also has a breakdown enzyme), Roebic (the RV version works fine) and, maybe best of all, Eco-Save.

Once you have the system up and happy, it takes very little of the product to keep things going. It is also handy if you travel with pets as a little of the product will take the odor out of any "accidents".

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote