Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2002, 07:20 PM   #1

Question airstream repair

I bought a trailer, 1960 -26 ft. The interior is alright but I need to repair pretty
much all the water-gas-electricity system and change the tires-get rid of one of the couch- make the bed bigger. etc...

I tried to see if I could do it myself but really, I'm not a handy man...and I need to have it ready before it starts snowing. It will be my house while I'm a ski bum...I'll will park it near hot springs...should be cool!!!

I need to know if any of you know a good airstream repair man around Bishop, lone pine or that area.(that's in california).

And does any of you have ever towed a boat like this one with an old 1983 dodge van ram that run well! ? What should I do to get it ready and safe?

I'm really happy to do this but right now a little lost...

Ced
halloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
halloey;

Welcome to AirStreamForums. Glad you found us. There are MANY helpful and experienced people here.

Is it a 1960 Overland single or twin axle?

The best way to start a restoration is to start at the ground and work your way up. Getting the running gear in safe and good order is your first step. If you are pulling it a short distance and parking it the van might do it. If after checking your towing capacities and finding that it is not rated for safe towing, perhaps you can find a mobile home service to move it and park it or perhaps a friend with a properly rated tow vehicle.

Having a repair center do all of the things you listed will be VERY expensive. The more you do yourself the more money you will save. Most of us here are of the Do-It-Yourself nature. It is part of the fun of owning an Old Classic, which is what you now own. Roll up your sleeves and jump in there. We will help and encourage you along the way. By the time you finish the restoration you will be a Handyman.

Read through the posted messages here. You will find the answers to many of your questions. Post a question for the ones you do not find.

Welcome and Good Luck;
-BobbyWright

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 04:56 PM   #3

Smile thanks

thanks for your answer,
There are a lot of helpfull things that I have already used. and will try to use more.
however there are stuff that I don't want to mess with, like gaz and furnace.
I don't want to find myself deep in the snow with a gaz leak and an explosive furnace in the middle of february on a powder day...
although it could be fun!!!

gaz and furnace are the most important things. have you heard of wood stove as heater in a trailer. I think It would be cool but I don't know if it exist or if it's safe. I think it would be a good alternative to propane furnace...where to find it?

i will manage to live without electricity and water if need too. I have tons of candles and will be near hot springs and snow for water...although electricity would be very nice on winter night but it seems complicated and pricey to get solar or generators. Any tips on that matter.

in general, my situation is very complicated and simple at the same time. I won't be on a camp ground with all the hook ups for water and electricity and phone, internet,. They ask for 600$ a month in mammoth lakes, Ca (non sens). But I will be in the wild under a mere 15' of snow...ANY tips that you might have for that will be very helpfull...

Ced
halloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:48 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
Wink Airdtream Repair

Ced, I applaude you!! You got guts but trailers are like boats: they will sink if you are not repaired! First I suggest that you check out a few books on trailers[especially winter camping] and repair thereof. Considering what you are trying to do your concern should be keeping the trailer warm enough to prevent you and your supplies from freezing not to mention the water lines. Winter camping is about the toughest trial on a trailer that you can have. I frankly would not try it unless I had a good reliable source of electric,so that you could have several sources of HEAT.
niftypkg is offline   Reply With Quote