Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2014, 05:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Airstream Purists - Original Interior

I'm just testing the forum waters here, I guess. I am very new, and have not even bought my airstream yet. I want to know reactions here to totally replacing the interior. I don't want to live with brown wood and will replace cabinets, doors, etc. so,
1. Are the responses here generally positive when asking for help with a total interior makeover? (On the dog forums, bitter warfare always starts with the purebred people vs. rescue people. I don't want to go there here. I'm a lover, not a fighter, lol.)
2. if i get one with an original interior in decent shape, is there a market for the cabinets/etc.?
Thank you.
Lisa
lisaslists20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
if you find one with an original interior you are either going to pay much more for it, or destroying value by removing original interior in good shape. there's not much market i don't think for original interior as they are 1) often custom, 2) a limited market for an interior from the same year / model.

you may as well look for one with a crappy interior or gutted. it's cheaper for you to purchase.

an exception; i think this is really only applicable for 1960's and older trailers. I rarely see a fuss over removal of a laminate tambour interior. (1970's)
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Huntington , West Virginia
Do your own thing. Most likely, anything you put inside will be equal to, if not better quality than the original. My original interior wasn't even squared-up at the factory.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
If you buy a 1974/77 with the "walnut" interior I am looking for the center double bed cabinetry!

Buy what you want and do what you want. If it were a 50's-60's and was in original good condition I could see saving it. From the 70's on, less so. I have a 1975 that is getting a light custom makeover of the original interior (that orange shag HAD to go ) Most of my work is updates behind the cabinetry. I also have a 1980 that will go full custom, it was half gutted when I got it.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks!

Thank you guys for the encouagement. If I find an appropriate oak bed, I will remember. :-)

Lisa
Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I dont think too many folks would fault you for getting rid of all the dark wood and shag carpeting in a 70's vintage trailer. More likely the 50's and 60's vintage trailers may be worth keeping original, but honestly if its your trailer, do what you like with it.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Do what you like! But if you buy a trailer in usable condition, I'd advise you to use it for a little while first while you plan your remodel. That way you will find out how you actually prefer to use the trailer while camping, and test out all the systems. I've seen a lot of people go in whole hog and buy a trailer and tear it apart only to decide they were in over their head or lose interest, and then they are selling a shell. If you can find one of those projects and start with a clean slate, you might be even better off if you are totally going to rebuild it.

Our trailer has dark wood (real wood) and a yellow tint to the walls and light covers, and it's super warm and cozy feeling inside.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
We got an 87 sovereign in 2010. It needed curtains, upholstery, all the counter tops and all appliances but the hot water heater, oh yea, and new flooring. Steve at P&S trailer service in Halena Ohio told me that you buy an Airstream and then you make it your own. Just remember that your likes and styles may hinder the trailers salability if and when you should sell it.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Hey Bob. Watch what you say about my custom vynil fake walnut interior. It's Classic 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Odds are you will replace a lot, maybe all. When you do be very careful purchasing the veneer plywood you will need. Most of the less expensive sheets usually look very nice and will hold up well inside your home. However in the camper environment the cores and glue can delaminate quickly. Moisture / humidity can ruin a well made interior in a couple years. Generally speaking you get a better product from an independent supplier than a box store for this application.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I'm in the midst of renovating (gutting and making new) our '73 Argosy interior. Plastic covered plywood doesn't hold up well after 40 years. I plan to rehab (restore and keep as much original as possible) on our '66 Sovereign. I don't mind their layouts, so I won't change that part much. Just improve what time (and POs) has deteriorated.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Plywood? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by putback View Post
Generally speaking you get a better product from an independent supplier than a box store for this application.
seriously, is there nothing to which this does not apply? :-) but I actually didn't think of buying plywood elsewhere. Where do you buy plywood except box store? 84 Lumber is gone...
Lisa
Old 07-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Lisa,
Look for an independent lumber yard in your area. But honestly big box stuff will work fine. Airstream didn't buy lumber from a boutique shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Do what you like! But if you buy a trailer in usable condition, I'd advise you to use it for a little while first while you plan your remodel. That way you will find out how you actually prefer to use the trailer while camping, and test out all the systems. I've seen a lot of people go in whole hog and buy a trailer and tear it apart only to decide they were in over their head or lose interest, and then they are selling a shell.
This bears repeating.

We bought a "vintage" 1971 in tolerable shape and have gradually replaced the entire interior. Our blog chronicles some of the bigger changes. We got nothing but encouragement from the forum and lots of sage advice when we hit a snag or two.

We didn't end up passing on our interior bits to others. It was either too riddled with holes from previous owners or just too bulky to ship. But the smaller fittings and fixtures might be just what someone else is looking for. Ask before tossing.

If you want to "make it your own" leave the original, vintage 60's and earlier trailers to the restoration purists. You'll spend less on your trailer and feel no pangs about pulling out vinyl coated pressboard from your trailer if you start with a 70's model.