Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
Paula...love my tootsies free, too!

My top sheet comes up high to my chin - I like that as well.

I'm thinking...maybe I should make a pattern/instructions to convert sheets to airstream specific.....

stay tuned...

(i'm a sewist by trade - usually trying to solve issues like this.)

By the way, the best sheets are nice comfy old sheets...it makes up for a slightly less comfortable - NOT uncomfortable - sleep than at home. I'm not a fan of breaking in new ones.

ms b

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Lots of very useful info in this thread.

Our mattresses were acquired from a friend who decided to convert his twin beds to a double. His wife had taken the old original ones (which were in sad shape) to a mattress manufacturer and had two new ones made for the twin beds using the old one as a template. The new ones are much thicker (about 9 inches deep), and they fit very snugly against the night table. I had been contemplating either making new sheets or modifying a set of sheets. Thanks for sharing the how-to.

On a related vein, I did pick up a couple of sewing machines at an estate auction - one I plan on keeping, but I'd be willing to sell the other. It is an Elna Lotus - a very compact Swiss made sewing machine in excellent condition (has all the accessories and the original manual). I had sold one like this in 2005 - the description then was:

Elna manufactured the Lotus in Switzerland between 1968 and 1980. The Elna Lotus was a truly innovative concept. It was the first compact household sewing machine due to its reduced size and weight. The protection flaps replaced the carrying case of other portables and formed a sewing table when opened. The accessory case is built into the top of the machine. The Lotus was selected by the Museum of Modern Art in New York for its "Design Collection". The Lotus will do both straight stitching and zig-zag stitching, and can be used for quilting. It is truly an amazing little machine.

I plan on listing this on ebay in the next couple of days, but would entertain offers before (the one I sold in 2005 fetched $135).

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Ocala , Florida
Not to take anything away from Foiled Again's way of doin' things, which seems more proper, but here's my easy way out.

I sewed some buttons on the sheets. On the bottom I used 6, one each at the ends and two on the sides, equidistant. On the top sheet I used 3, one on the bottom and one each on the side about where your knees would be.

On sheet day I cover the picnic table (every camp site has one) with a clean tarp. I put down the bottom sheet upside down then haul the whole darn thing outside and place it on top of the sheet. I then tie it on with cotton string. I use a large roll of cooking twine - it lasts forever. Then I repeat the process with the top sheet. Just don't tie that one too tight - you'll be sleeping like a mummy.

After the bed is brought back in just tuck in the corners and you're set. I did the same thing to the mattress pad and it stays put as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0769.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	176814  
Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
You won't get much sleep in rain country!

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepthedog View Post
On sheet day I cover the picnic table (every camp site has one) with a clean tarp. I put down the bottom sheet upside down then haul the whole darn thing outside and place it on top of the sheet. I then tie it on with cotton string. I use a large roll of cooking twine - it lasts forever. Then I repeat the process with the top sheet. Just don't tie that one too tight - you'll be sleeping like a mummy.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #19
BJo
1 Rivet Member

The problem I had with the sheets I ordered from ABLifestyles was with the fabric, not the fit. The fabric was so soft that it was like trying to put a large piece of gauze on the mattress - it was so limp that it wrinkled & wadded up something terrible. The mattress pad was wonderful, but the sheets were not good at all. I prefer a sheet with more body.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
St Simons Island , Georgia
I thought the AS sheets were a bit pricey. We found a great solution that works for us:

Wal-Mart or Bed Bath and Beyond both sell sheet "suspenders" used to keep sheets in place, which are basically elastic pieces with a suspender clip at each end. I bought two packs of 4 and then connected two together to make them longer (alone they are too short to stretch across the bed), giving me 4 long ones in total. I turn the mattress on its side and then take a standard sized fitted sheet and use the suspenders to keep it in place. I don't bother doing this with the flat sheet, but I suppose you could if you wanted to sleep with snug sheets.

This solution really worked for us and we are able to choose from a wide selection of fabrics, colors, etc.... instead of the limited assortment from AS and the other companies.

Good luck!
A&D
Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJo View Post
The problem I had with the sheets I ordered from ABLifestyles was with the fabric, not the fit. The fabric was so soft that it was like trying to put a large piece of gauze on the mattress - it was so limp that it wrinkled & wadded up something terrible. The mattress pad was wonderful, but the sheets were not good at all. I prefer a sheet with more body.
I'm surprised. The two sets of sheets I bought from them are quite stout and have held up well for several years of frequent use.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I am with you pdozanne. I too went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought those sheet suspenders and just use regular sheets. I got some really nice soft all cotton too- high quality fancy shmancy ones!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Wow Pep, how do you get in and out of those strings?
Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
After being tutored by an old friend who does a lot of sewing, I ended up keeping the Elna Lotus sewing machine. The first project was to take a flat percale cotton king sheet (purchased at Walmart), fold it in half sandwiching 100% cotton quilt batti, and sewing it together (trimmed to the exact shape of the mattress). The pad was pinned and quilted every 4 inches. Elastic was sewn as loops on the corners - voila!

Then I took good quality queen fitted sheets (again from Walmart - some were percale cotton, and I did also use the cotton-poly ones too) and resized them to fit, including the curved corner. I also bought the elastic attachment for the sewing machine and sewed 3/8-inch elastic around the bottom so it would hold the fitted sheets in place.

While there is some roughness in what I did, it fits well and holds its fit. I made the last pair of fitted sheets while I was camped (actually hosting) at Mystic Springs in Pensacola. The place was very quiet so I took two of the long tables in the clubhouse and put them together to layout and sew the sheets.

In order to lay out the sheets, I did make two templates using cardboard: one was for the curved corner; and the second one was for the 4 darts making up the round corner.

All-in-all, it was well worth the effort to learn to do this, and the results are very acceptable.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Has anyone else had experience with the Airstream sheets sold through their store? I was planning on ordering a set of the 600 thread count ones but am a bit concerned if the top sheet is too short on all or if this was a one time fluke mentioned earlier.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:43 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
I did not have the same experience BJo had with ABLifestyle sheets. I found them to be very well made and comfortable. Perhaps they've changed fabrics? Mine were ordered about 1 year ago. The fit is spot on and I have the ultra-weird rear corner 48" bed. Hands down, I'd order from them again before getting another set from Airstream's supplier.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:23 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
I just received a set. We're heading out for a two week trip on Friday and I'll change to the new sheets mid- way through. I'll try to come back to this post to let you know what I think.