Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Adding a bunk to 19' Bambi

Alright everyone - I've done a bit of digging and am feeling a bit 'emboldened'.

My goal is to sleep a (currently) 3 year old boy in a bunk above the corner bed in a 19' Bambi Int'l.

I think the Hollaender method of flanges, elbows, pipe etc. looks very slick and strong. Since I don't need the bunk to fold, I think I would just build the frame from tubing, and then attach 1/2" plywood onto it.

I'm guessing the difficult and critical parts are:
- where the flange attaches to the ceiling rib.
- Where the edge of the bed support attaches to the curving wall.

So the nitty gritty details about that are unclear.

-How does one locate the center of a frame member/rib? Look for rivets?
-What is the recommended fastener? And method (predrilled or not?)

The factory bunk appears to be attached vertically only in one spot. I figured I could make things extra safe if I added another vertical ceiling-mount pole about halfway down the bed.

It also appears that the factory bunk is attached to both the exterior wall, and 'closet wall'. I suppose that the closet wall would easily be modified to hold the bed with just some aluminum angle cut to length and screwed into place.

Attaching the long end of the bed to the (curving) exterior wall looks much trickier. Aluminum angle might work for part of the length, but as it curves you'd lose the ability to keep the angle in contact with the wall. Definitely at a loss as to how to get a 'shelf' upon which to rest a piece of plywood.

I need to go find a 19' Bunked bambi and really dig in and see how they do it. But even that isn't going to give me all the answers because I have heard they add additional framing at the factory when they build this floorplan. And even though I don't need the weight limit they provide, I still need this thing to be safe and stable.

Any advice certainly welcomed!
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Bend , Oregon
Yikes. I'm not sure if the deafening silence is because of a poorly written post, or if people just don't do this? Anyone?
doughpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Omaha , Nebraska
I had the same thoughts. I thought if I were to add a bunk, I would not rely on wall attachments unless I had direct access to wall frames. I would supplement with 1x4 bed to floor legs 2 or all 4 corners. I would consult dealer parts/service too.

As a hiker, I’ve thought of also using a hammock for extra sleeping arrangements for kids and wiling guests. Although, issues with adequate support still remain without extra precautions.

Btl5
beetle5 is offline   Reply With Quote