Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

A few glitches.....

Hi there!

Just starting to fix a few things on the '77 Safari we bought a couple months ago--getting ready to take our first short weekend trip in a couple of weeks .
1st problem - when you turn on the inside lights, the radio turns off - any ideas?
2nd problem - why is the vinyl wallcovering sticky (I washed it down twice to remove all the teeny bugs that were stuck there) and does anyone have a good remedy for this?
3rd problem - washed the curtains and they shrunk and started to disintegrate - I'm interested to know what others are using for replacement window coverings???
Haven't even tried the appliances yet - I'm sure I'll be in touch regularly!
Also, does anyone know a good place to get parts (we need a window lock to start with.....) in coastal B.C., Washington or NW Oregon?

Thanks!
RamblinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:02 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Radio problem

I assume you have lights and radio using 12 volt power and the fuses do not blow. Using a voltmeter check to see if the 12 volt power to the radio is removed when you turn on the light switch. If yes, do you have a 2 way light switch arrangement where the inside lights can be turned on or off from two different switches? If yes, there may be a wiring problem where the radio taps off of a switched power line meant for the lights instead of unswitched power. If the power remains on to the radio at all times then the problem is most likely in the radio....tuning?

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:14 PM   #3
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If you will look up at the top right hand side of the page and click on the "search" button, then type in "curtains", a variety of threads will appear showing you member's success in laundering curtains, several sources for where to buy new curtains or even how to measure and make your own. There are also threads on cleaning the wallcoverings. My walls weren't very dirty, but I just used a spray cleaner. I think it was Fantastic brand.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
Santa Barbara , California
Radio problem 2

Do the lights seem to be dim when you turn them on and the radio dies. Maybe you have a low charge on the batteries....

1984 31' Excella, mid bath, king size bed
1998 Chevrolet Suburban K2500, 7.4L/454 c.i., 4WD, Pullrite Hitch
AIR No. 2375

"You know... life is just the way it is...."
markparker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 09:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRose
1st problem - when you turn on the inside lights, the radio turns off - any ideas?
It is also possible that a previous owner wired the radio into a switched light circuit. If so, you need to find a 12v source that is "hot".

Quote:
2nd problem - why is the vinyl wallcovering sticky (I washed it down twice to remove all the teeny bugs that were stuck there) and does anyone have a good remedy for this?
There is much in the archives on this. I had great success with Super Clean from Castrol. See http://www.airforums.com/forum...ture+floor+wax for more.

Quote:
3rd problem - washed the curtains and they shrunk and started to disintegrate - I'm interested to know what others are using for replacement window coverings???
Curtains. There are are a couple of $ource$ for replacements in the archives. Shades and blinds are problematic due to the curve of the walls.

Quote:
Also, does anyone know a good place to get parts (we need a window lock to start with.....) in coastal B.C., Washington or NW Oregon?
Most electrical, plumbing, and appliance parts are not Airstream specific and are available at home centers or RV suppiers. Others are available only through an Airstream dealer. Some are to be found only at a couple of dealers who specialize in older Airstreams, like Inland RV.

Good luck!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote