Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Lightbulb A different type of fastener.

Today at work I noticed our mechanic and the apparatus committee had finished the installation of all of the equipment on our newest apparatus. They used a fastener called the "Diamond Grip II Threaded Inserts" using the "Diamond Grip II and TSN Installation Tool" in the cabinet that hold our rescue equipment. They used this rivet type of "nut/rivet" to install mounting brackets for the equipment. I found the tool and the fasteners at Welcome to Lawson Products. There are several different sizes and grip ranges that would work with the 0.032 sheet metal.

I was thinking that this could be a great way to attach my completely rebuilt interior to the interior skin of the trailer. I would think that this would be way better to use that the original sheet metal screws that where used originally to attach into the skin through the frame of the furnishings.

1- I thought I would post it here and see if any one has used this type of fastener.
2- If used does it work well in this application?
3- Does any one wish to sell their used tool if desired?

Here are some pictures:
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Falmouth , Massachusetts
BB55,

I've been using several type of threaded inserts for several years on projects at work, and last year used them to reattach the bellypan on my Bambi to allow for future inspection.

The use of this tool/fastener system requires a bit more care than rivets in several ways, especially in maintaining the proper seating force to assure you don't undertighten or overtighten the threaded insert.

I've used both automatic (air-powered) insertion tools and hand tools, including the rotary and direct pull-up type for which you show a picture. Any of these can work well if you take the time to gain experience and don't rush the job.

These inserts are available in many materials, grades, sizes and designs, including open and closed back, crimping, flanging, etc, to meet many applications.

I would encourage you to borrow the tool and get some threaded inserts appropriate for the 0.031 aluminum sheet, experiment with the tool and inserts on a scrap sheet, and decide if this will work for you. I have used threaded inserts with both steel and aluminum sheet, and have noticed in thin substrate, it is not difficult to improperly install the insert, causing a "spinner" where the insert loses its grip on the material and will not tighten. Solution is to drill out and re-install.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
other choices

Rivnuts leave a shoulder on top of the material you install them in. nutplates are mounted from behind and the surface remains flush. Each has their application. For trick fasteners like thes I suggest you look at some aircraft supply places. lots of them on line, wicks, aircraft spruce, chief etc. DG

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I've got 'em all over the Excella. I use a lot of trusshead ss screws to attach screens, etc. Only drawback is the larger hole it takes to accomodate them.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
1977 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Sierra Vista , Arizona
El-Cheapo version

Last week I purchased an El-Cheapo version of this tool complete with an assortment of RivNuts at Harbor Freight for $10. This would be an inexpensive introduction to experiment with.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I get mine from McMaster-Carr . Big selection. I use them all the time!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I've been using one of these for quite some time. Depending on the type of nut-sert you use, or the number and size, they hold pretty good. I mostly use the aluminum ones and they are not that tough, but there are lots of situations where they are perfect, particularly on my aluminum trailer. I too use an elcheapo model, the second one as we literally wore the first one out over several years of hard use. Great tool when used in the proper place but I wouldn't put it to work in a situation where it takes a lot of weight or where safety depended on it being toqued down - the lightweight ones strip easily.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You can read about other Airstreamers' applications by searching the forums on Rivnut.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
Rivnut

Hey All:
I just realized yesterday that this was the other name for the tool. I have now been able to find them all over the place. I was told by the district mechanic that if used in conjunction with a washer on the back and front of the skin it is much stronger. This is not always applicable, plus they make a larger flange on the exposed area of the rivnut allowing a greater stability. I know that the ribbed model like the one in the picture above does allow for less spinning. Another idea could be using an adhesive/epoxy to increase grip and to use a square of aluminum around the application area and "pop" rivet it into place. I would only use this in areas that are not visible. In addition I would surmise that this application does not provide a great deal of strength with the 0.032 sheet. I would think that most of the strength of the furnishings to stay in place will come from being secured to the decking, and the rivnut will allow just a bit more staying power and reduce vibration and rubbing during trailer movement. The rivnut has to be WAY better than the original sheet metal screws.

Any thoughts?
Thanks Beau
Old 05-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1955 16' Bubble
Bend , Oregon
This is the size I was thinking about.

Diameter:1/4
Head Diameter:0.500"
Length:0.720"
Material:Aluminum
Thread Size:20
Type:Rivet Nut
Hole Size:0.391
Grip Range:0.165" - 0.260
Head Style:Large Flange Head
Product Weight:0.0041 lbs.

Is this size over kill?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I mostly use rivet nuts where I anticipate removing the fasteners several times. Actually, sheet metal screws are quite strong, but get loose when they are reinstalled several times. I habitually replace all screw type fasteners with stainless. Stainless rivets from marine supplers are much stronger than aluminum rivets and harder to remove too. 1/4 20 rivnuts require a hole that is > 3/8" so you need to be dead on center on the ribs. I would have a tendency to use more smaller than a few larger fasteners. A great investment is a book on acceptable methods for rivet work as there is some subtlety in using them correctly.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote