Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #1

1998 19' Bambi
Spokane , Washington
'98 AS Interior Remodel on Bambi

Proud new owner of my first AS. That being said, I'm not sure who though carpets were a good idea for camping. My '98 (I just picked up) is 19' and carpeted. This was a well used trailer. The axel needed to be replaced (2K) and the interior was a mess. We decided that the carpet was a very bad idea and while we were at it, might as well make all new cushions and get rid of the curtains, which oddly enough covered more wall than window.trailer 020.JPG
As this project began, it wasn't too big. But might as well pull out the easy bench and strip the wall of the ugly/dirty cloth as we go (we will polish the aluminum and clean off glue in the fall). We wanted bamboo flooring but just didn't have the time, so decided to but down a floating vinyl for now. Bought some new foam/material for the cushions and had those made (not as professionally as we had hoped).trailer 019.JPG. Tore down the old curtains and rods.
The blinds were the easiest part. Removed curtains and replaced with aluminium blinds similar to the ones used in the new AS. They were amazingly cheap and custom to sizes we wanted ($120 for 4). Install took about an hour and they look good! A few things to still work out with the back window ( it abuts the bathroom wall) but this was the easiest thing to replace.trailer 016.JPG
Two items I am having trouble with and I am less than two weeks from our big week in B.C. First, removing the carpet from the toilet/shower wall and pedastal. While the rest of the carpet was stapled down this seems to be glued and just doesn't want to come up. I've read to remove the toilet and replace the seal when it goes back in, but how does this carpet around the commode come up??trailer 011.JPG
Second, I need to put an edging around the furniture and walls to cover the edges of the vinyl and the tufts of carpet trying to peak out. The benches in the 19 AS have rounded corners. I'm using quarter round wood for the edging but have not figured how to deal with a round corner. I did find some rounded crown molding that I've tried to trim but so far no luck. I'm no carpenter so no complicated suggestions please!
The glue still has to come off the walls but that can wait. I've tried 'Goof Off" with very limited success. I've heard it will be a pain to clean up but I can't afford to reskin the interior (in spite of all the anonymous holes in the aluminum under the lining). I will rivet, de-glue, and polish the inside after the summer is over.
Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions to an 'unskilled' laborer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 020.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	132956   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 019.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	571.2 KB
ID:	132957  

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 016.JPG