Old 07-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Maybe a different upholster?

When we decided to redo our front "Jack-knife" couch, we found upholsterer through dealer in CA who does car and RV work, and he preferred for us to buy fabric.. Because of hassle to order from Fabric store, we ordered extra, and used leftover to do headboard and fabric cover on folding chair to match couch.. I think total order was 11 yards..

Difference was he provided a quote for foam and sewing and buttons etc of approx $350, including end bolsters and cover for slide-out drawer front under couch... No separate charges for our fabric, etc etc... I'd consider expanding search to other upholstery shops, especially if you can remove couch pieces and deliver them to a shop by truck or tow vehicle..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not that I know what it costs, but that sound high, but I would think far less expensive than what it costs to re-do a leather (ultraleather) goucho.

In the end, it'll look great and last decades if taken care of.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Well, that amount of fabric STILL sounds high to me.... the gaucho is the maybe the jack knife kind.... maybe not.... the back rotates to the front to make a bed! It came out in three pieces.... the right side and arm, the left side and arm, and the seat, back, and under storage in one piece.
I will have to take a closer look at this thing.... I think I was told the deck portion is 30 inches deep, and seventy two inches long. Also, if I'm remembering rightly, the deck is one piece, but made to look like three cushions. I think the fabric is attached directly to the base. I'd be happy to have it done bench style, with a few buttons or tufting to keep things from shifting around. Same for the back.
You guys keep talking about zippers, etc..... but we don't have separate cushions! And it seems to me if the fabric was railroaded, two times the length (+ a half yard for the sides of the foam) plus a yard and a half for arm cushions, the front of the arms, and the three drop down doors for the storage underneath, would be plenty! Still, that comes in at around six and a half yards!
And the thought of twenty dollars a yard... well, that ain't happenin'! More like $35 to $80 a yard! Oy!!!! So just to make it easy on me, I fiure seven yards times 35 or a high of 80..... $245 to 560 all American dollars! Coupla hundred for foam.... hmmm.... maybe buying a new one isn't all that silly! LOL!!
Stay tuned for more adventures in fine living (and reupholstering) with the Airstream Millionaires! < VWG >

Elizabeth in Iowa
The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia

If your dimensions are 30"x2 yards per side, then you can't fit more two top/bottom panels side by side in a 55" wide piece of fabric (30"x2>55"). That means that you will need a minimum of 4 yards (plus a little more for seam allowances) per cushion to cover both the top and bottom. The estimate of 9 yards is may be too conservative for all three cushions.

Sounds like your cushions were also made by the same crummy fabrication shop as mine were. You definitely don't want to copy the old construction technique of tacking it down to a backer board--or you are S.O.L. the first time someone has a spill. It's a penny wise/pound foolish equation to skip zippers and bottom cushion panels (incidently, I just slide the backer boards inside the covers).

Another approach would be to shop for cheaper fabric, then hire an independent sewer to make them. If you save and shop sales and/or discount fabric places, you probably can find suitable decorator fabric in the range of $10/yard. I just bought some Herman Miller fabric on Ebay for $6.99/yard and it's terrific slipcover fabric. You can also save coupons and shop for discount foam at places like Joann's Fabric (they periodically have 40% off coupons).

Here's an idea of how you could budget a very cheap fabrication, based on apparently needing more fabric for cutting, figuring 4 yards times three cushions (I added an extra yard for cutting and seam allowances):

13 yards Herman Miller fabric (Winterbeach Modern, from Ebay): 91.00
shipping and handling: $15.00
5" HD Foam Slabs--three @ $89/each $267 (from Joann's-- cut off 106.80 if you save in-store coupons, though this will take lots of time to accumulate):160.00
Batting: I don't have an exact quote on this, but densified (ie, upholstery) batting can be had for about $5.99/yard--total: 72.00
Foam adhesive spray (home depot): 9.00
Thread: 15.00
Zippers: 3@10.99= 33.00

Ok, that makes total materials cost $395.00. The $110 cost for labor is fair, though you may have a tough time matching it. That means you get nice looking durable cushions for just about $500.

If you want welting, add on 25% to the labor cost and 18 yards of cording at .50/yard ($9).

PS--so far as I know, they don't have the same kind of gauchos any more. It sounds like you have an older unit (though oddly there's no info in your profile about your unit)--a new gaucho probably won't fit. That's why there's such an aftermarket for the old ones.
Our Airstream adventure continues!
Read the details at Tales of the Toaster
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:40 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Well our trailer is only about 8 years old. After a couple of fabric included upholstery estimates around $1300, my wife slipcovered everything. Our foam is ok enough to last a bit longer. She bought some fabric at Walmart for $3.00 a yard (bought all on the bolt 10 yrds) and there was some left over. But she also used 4 fleece blankets we bought cheap $3.50 a piece from Target (woolrich plaid) this did the dinette and jack knife sofa. She reused the zippers from the dinette and stapled fabric on to the wood piece around the sofa and used upholstery tacks on the back of the dinette. There are alot of discount upholstery fabric stores out there open up your yellow pages and take a look. Ebay is great as is Jo ann's with their coupons. I say we spent about $100 doing the couch dinette and we bought extra fabric for valances and to replace the mirrored cabinet doors.
It looks pretty good we have plans to re-do as more $$ comes along but anything was better then what was there! Can't wait to hear what you ended up doing.
Steve Heywood
Waddell, AZ
1999 19' Bambi (SOLD)
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member
1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Well, have managed to get past the sticker shock portion of doing the couch! And along the way managed to fall into the might-as-well-as..... as in, While we have the trailer stripped to do the floor, might as well do the sofa. Since we're doing the floor and sofa, we might as well do the wall panel. Heck! Let's do BOTH of those wall panels! And oh! Might as well make lots of sofa pillows, too! Since we're doing the floor, sofa/pillows and wall panels, we might as well retrim the shades. Since we're doing the floor, sofa/pillows, panels, shades, might as well do the chair. Since we're doing floor, sofa, panels, and shades, might as well design curtain hold-backs. And since we're doing all the above, might as well put new, coordinated binding on the rugs. And oh! While deciding to do all the above, guess what? Someone noticed the bedroom could use a refurb as well! We might as well!
Notice how it progresses? It's insideous, I tell you!
ANd then, up on campingworld, I found this:
Jeeze! If I had seen that before I ordered fabric, and got caught up this dizzying whirl.... I mighta bought one! Anybody know anything about this 72" armless sofa bed? Seems to me, if the arms were still good and sturdy, you could slip one of these into the older couaches that take the 72's.......?

Elizabeth in Iowa

The carpeting is gone! The carpeting is gone! Long live the cork floor!
Cedars is offline   Reply With Quote