Old 10-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #1

1984 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Oakwood , Georgia
84 Excella Questions

I recently bought an 84 Excella, 34 ft. A few of the changes the previous owner made are not suitable. I want to replace the electric-only refrigerator he installed with a gas/electric refrigerator. What is the size unit needed for a 34 ft. center bath Excella? Which brand is best? Where is a reasonable dealer located? . . . Also, I want to replace the water heater with a gas/electric unit. Same questions apply. What? . . . which? . . . where? . . . I have other questions, but this is a start. Thanks for any help.

Old 10-26-2005, 06:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
Hello, The only fridges that I have found in shopping are dometic and norcold so I can't weigh in on that question and the dometic in my 77 Overlander still seems to be functioning without problem. Consider RV Parts Outlet for the best deals I have found on most supplies although they are not AS specific. I am presently considering replacing my water heater with a tankless model as it seem such a waste to use propane to heat 6 gallons of water all day and night. In my model you have to go outside to light the pilot as well. I have been looking at Excel and Arizboa because of price but have read that Paloma is probably the best followed by Tagaki and will give you hot water until your gray water tank is full. Good Luck!

Old 10-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Alligood, welcome to the forums!
I can answer your second question first. Most RV parts stores will be able to sell you either an Atwood or Suburban daul-power 6 gallon water heater. You can even get one with DSI (automatic electronic pilot), or pilotless gas.
They are relatively reasonable, as RV stuff goes, a 6 gallon RV gas water heater starts areound $250, and the price goes up to around $399 for the DSI/electric oversize (10 gallon) model.
Now, as far as fridges go, the closest size replacement LP/electric fridges will be around a 11 cubic foot unit. You can get them from 9 to 12. Now for the bad news. They go for upwards of $1200 new. Careful shopping may get you one for a couple hundred dollars less. I would have to say the fridge is the single most expensive appliance in your coach, and you may want to take a look at slightly used ones to keep your budget out of the ozone.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:47 PM   #4

1984 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Oakwood , Georgia
Thanks for the advice on the hotwater heater and the refrigerator. Now another question: Where do you find a sofa comparable to the original? The previous owner tore out the original sofa and replaced it with two very nice recliners, but I want the sofa back.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Fridge ?

I recently purchased a NORCOLD unit and we have been very happy with it, it is virtually silent and you can change the front panels to match your RV. It has performed flawlessly for over three years now with plenty use
Old 10-27-2005, 08:13 PM   #6

1984 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Oakwood , Georgia
What is the primary difference between the NORCOLD and the Dometic refrigerators?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Differences are minor..

The differences between Dometic and Norcold are minor, but may be important in exterior dimensions.. Both use same process for cooling (pumpless ammonia circuit), and some models run on 12V, which is good way to eliminate any excess electrons in your battery in a hurry. Not practical for long days without solar panels.. Width and Height do vary among models and generatios by a few inches, so you may end up choosing one that fits hole best, unless old hole enlarged by prior owner (Known appropriately on forums as "PO"...).

As for couches, most are made by Steelcase, I think, but are pretty expensive new.. Might be easier to try and find late model salvage unit and take couch and re-upholster.. That vintage had I think what are known as "jack knife couches" where rear upright folded over 1 1/2 times as it came forward to extend the sleeping surface... I think Camping World sells new couches that might fit in their large catalog, or web site campingworld.com

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 08:01 AM   #8

1984 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Oakwood , Georgia
As far as I can tell the PO did not enlarge the hole for the refrigerator. The hole is approximately 24.75 inches wide and taller than 59.5 inches so I don't think there would be a problem even with most larger refrigerators. I would like to know the particular model of refrigerator that was used in the 84 Excella 34 ft. with center bath. . . . Thank for the help.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:03 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
The differences between Dometic and Norcold are minor, but may be important in exterior dimensions.. Both use same process for cooling (pumpless ammonia circuit), and some models run on 12V, which is good way to eliminate any excess electrons in your battery in a hurry. Not practical for long days without solar panels..
My Airstream tech says fridge on 12 v only maintains the cold, will not chill. IOW... put warm soda in, won't drop the temperature of the soda.... put cold stuff in, will keep chilled.
And before you ask, I only know what I'm told!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
As for couches, most are made by Steelcase, I think, but are pretty expensive new.. Might be easier to try and find late model salvage unit and take couch and re-upholster.. That vintage had I think what are known as "jack knife couches" where rear upright folded over 1 1/2 times as it came forward to extend the sleeping surface... I think Camping World sells new couches that might fit in their large catalog, or web site campingworld.com
I called Jackson Center to find out about buying a new sofa. I was told we needed a 72 inch one for our 1983, and the newer units use a 74 inch one, the slightly smaller ones are no longer available from the factory. So if you do buy a new gaucho, it may not fit and you would have to make modifications to it!
Be aware most late models are wide bodies.
To measure the length to see if it will fit, measure BETWEEN the arms, on the inside of the sofa.... the bottom deck width from inside arm to inside arm.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 10-29-2005, 12:10 PM   #10
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
My Airstream tech says fridge on 12 v only maintains the cold, will not chill. IOW... put warm soda in, won't drop the temperature of the soda.... put cold stuff in, will keep chilled.
And before you ask, I only know what I'm told!
Elizabeth,
What your "tech" is saying is that, if your frige is running on 12 Volts and you put a warm beer and a cold beer inside and close the door. Come back 6 hours later and open the door, the cold beer is still cold and the other is still warm?

Does anyone else have a problem with this?
The correct answer is?
a) both beers are cold
b) both beers are warm
c) your battery is dead and your "tech" drank them both!

answer is c

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Elizabeth,
What your "tech" is saying is that, if your frige is running on 12 Volts and you put a warm beer and a cold beer inside and close the door. Come back 6 hours later and open the door, the cold beer is still cold and the other is still warm?
What I think he is saying is this; do not depend on 12V mode to safely and quickly cool food. It will, however, keep things already cold, cold.
In other words, do not buy a new jar of real mayo, use it on a sandwich, put the new, room temperature, jar into the fridge on 12V, and count on it to remain wholesome or safe to consume.
And oh! Don't think about freezing fresh meat in this mode!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Does anyone else have a problem with this?
The correct answer is?
a) both beers are cold
b) both beers are warm
c) your battery is dead and your "tech" drank them both!

answer is c
Of course C) it is! You must know Ryan!

In the case of beer, I would think the cold beer remains cold, and the warm beer may be somewhat cooler after six hours, but not truly cold.
Only know what I've been told; the 12V was not designed to chill or cool down food... it was designed to keep cold things cold. Ryan suggested using the 12V while trailering, but to switch to AC or gas when sitting.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 03-21-2006, 12:12 PM   #12
BFZ
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alligood
I recently bought an 84 Excella, 34 ft. A few of the changes the previous owner made are not suitable. I want to replace the electric-only refrigerator he installed with a gas/electric refrigerator. What is the size unit needed for a 34 ft. center bath Excella? Which brand is best? Where is a reasonable dealer located? . . . Also, I want to replace the water heater with a gas/electric unit. Same questions apply. What? . . . which? . . . where? . . . I have other questions, but this is a start. Thanks for any help.
How do you like your 84 Excella? I am considering one and would like to get some input from others on the list.
Thanks, Ben

70 AS 31' Soveriegn
69 25' Avion
Old Chevy Vans
65 Chevelle Malibu
Datsun Roadsters
BFZ is offline   Reply With Quote