Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #1

1978 Argosy 27
Ogunquit , Maine
78' Argosy Renovation Question

Hi Everyone!

My husband and I purchased a 1978 Argosy 27' trailer last week. It's in remarkably good condition after sitting 15 years untouched. An engineer owned it originally, and he took great care of it. We purchased it in the pouring rain, and it continued to pour for 7 days. Happy to report no leaks!

It's all original. My concern comes with light grey mold on the interior vinyl (previous owner left windows slightly cracked for temperature control... mold seems to be from condensation). We've cleaned it with bleach, and it disappeared immediately. We have a dehumidifier running. We've also taken out the carpet and found two small damp spots in the floor (one by the door, and the other next to the wheel well), but after a carpenter we know looked at it, he said it was nothing to worry about. He was shocked the trailer sat outside for all these years and said it looks like it was stored in a garage. The damp spots are now dry (we think it came from power washing the outside).

I know mold is not to be taken lightly, though. Is it necessary to check insulation for issues? There were no rodents or any other alarms. The interior is in excellent condition.

What would you recommend? Is it necessary to strip the trailer down? I've contacted an airstream renovation company but they have not gotten back to me. We weren't planning a full gut job but I also don't want to start the interior renovations without getting more experienced opinions. I'm completely new to travel trailers and restorations. Just fulfilling my dream and looking forward to traveling in it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!
Samantha
samtest is offline   Reply With Quote