Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Unhappy '76 Overlander Bathroom door removal - ideas?

One of the annoyances of our most recent trip (Toronto, Washington, Florida, Nashville, Cleveland, Toronto) was that the bathroom door finally gave up closing. I can get it closed, but no one else in my family possesses enough anger and upper body strength to do it.

One of the roller things has fallen off. The door hangs at an angle at the best of times. I'm sick of it, and want to get rid of it and replace it with something that actually works and you know, maybe doesn't weigh 20 pounds.

I removed the full length mirror from the back, (in the process dislodging a piece of glass, narrowly missing my big toe), but am at a loss as to what to do next. I'm reluctant to bring out the crowbar until I have a plan for what to replace it with. I can't figure out how to get this door out of the groove.

Has anyone done this before? Any threads I haven't found that have nifty, lightweight but strong, bathroom door replacements?
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I did this removal recently in my '72 Sovereign, but I'm not sure if your pocket door assembly is the same as mine. Do you have a pic or two of the area above the door? If you do, I can coach you through the process of removal.

I got rid of my door for the same reason you want to get rid of yours. We haven't decided on a replacement. We might go with a curtain or accordian door.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
Pictures of the door area

Picture from inside the bathroom (we have a rear bath, by the way), facing out.

Second image:
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
My ’72 Tradewind has practically the same set-up. My ’67 was also had a similar under-engineered sliding door.
The extruded rail the door slides on is held in place with screws and pop rivets. The plastic laminate on the bathroom side may hide a rivet or screw as well. This can be carefully spring out of the rail with a small screwdriver or knife blade.
On mine there is a plastic cap on the end opposite the closet. Once you get the end of the rail out of the cap you may be able to slide the door and rollers out enough to remove it.
Just a few thoughts, good luck,

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Okay,
There's two ways you can remove the door, one easy and one more difficult. It looks like your pocket door is hanging by one one slider support. The easy way to remove the door is to simply take a drill with a large drill bit and drill a "hole" in the track to allow the door slider support to "fall" out. Select the least conspicuous and most effective place to drill this "hole." The other way, like Tom mentioned, will involve removing the top assembly by drilling out all rivets which support the track. I'd go the easy way, though. You'll probably want to use this track for either a curtain or accordian door (you can buy these anywhere like Home Depot).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1976 overlander, bathroom door, interior