Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
Saint Petersburg, , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to Tom Randall
'74 Sovereign Clock & Barometer

Hi, I am new here & I am in the processing of purchasing a '74 Soveign Land Yacht. One of the few things missing is the clock and barometer in the living area. Sorry, I am not up with the terminology...but learning.

I did a search first plus checked the parts for sale listed in the classified - no luck. Does anybody know of a source online that might have something like this. The current owner has checked the A/S graveyards and etc... but no luck for the past 2 years. They don't have internet access.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I am learning soooo much here...the people are GREAT! Now excited about going to pick up my new "vintage" Airsteam (getting a personlized license plate for it too....)

Tom & his travelin pal .....Rusty Dog the Doxie
Tom & his travelin' Pal - Rusty Dog the Doxie

WBCCI # 1946AIR # 18277
Tom Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hi Tom (and Rusty!),
Welcome to the forums. I sounds like you've done the search thing. There are some A/S "boneyards" in different parts of the country, there was a recent thread where some of them were identified. Hopefully someone with knowledge of these or other sources will post. Good luck.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Tom,
Unless your unit is way different from mine, it was a clock and a thermometer. I have yet to see a set that works like it is supposed to. My suggestion would be to find one that fits the opening and use them. The original clock was battery operated and the thermometer had a sensor that went down a long plastic tube and came out on the road side underneath. I would suggest getting a dimension then start looking at the clock and barometer/thermometer kits in the various catalogs. Cherry Tree toys is one that comes to mind and I am sure there are many more.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Tom-

Welcome to the forums! You can post a wanted ad in the classified section and see if anything comes up. You can also purchase replacements on-line I am sure. I believe the dia. of the clock and term. are a standard. They should just pop out and you can then replace them with new. You might also want to check out some of the larger big box craft centers. They usually have these items in stock.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
On my '75 Ambassador the clock runs off a C battery and the thermometer uses a line down through a tube inside the skin to just below the A frame. Both are round and about 3" diameter, clock on top. The thermometer has max/min indicators you can reset.

Unless you are a real stickler for an OEM type restoration, I'd suggest a modern self setting clock and thermometer with cordless remote for that spot. These things will run for a year on a couple of AA's and will set themselves to the proper time for DST changes. The only challenges are to find one that you can adapt to the display space to look good and where to put the remote temperature sensor.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
I believe that the clock and barometer combination was typical of the unit he has. The thermometer came later?

The clock can be replaced with a unit from a craft store - the barometer may be another issue.

We replaced the clock from Micheal's - maybe you can find the barometer there also.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The thermometer must have come in 75 then because that's what my 75 TW has. BTW, one Phoenix summer was too much for it. It is now 115 degrees all the time!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I briefly had a 74 Tradewind and it had the Thermometer...If the barometer was installed it would be one of the first I have ever seen. Wonder if it might have been an option?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you look at Vintage Airsteam the barometer was used up to 71 and then the thermometer came in in 72. I have a 71 - would have rather had the thermometer actually.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote