Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
74 31' Sovereign Rehab Project

K- We've gutted the Airstream and are planning a temporary rehab for me to live in until the husband returns from overseas. He's actually here now on a week's leave and is doing some work on it.

I'll be asking questions a LOT.

One question I have...

The INTERIOR front top skin panel/roof thing over the front windows is badly cracked. It appears to be all one piece encompassing a broken clock and a round hole that may have held a barometer or something. This piece also appears to be all-in-one with the piece that covers the curtain tracks. There's a storage unit on either side of the clock, also part of this single piece (or so it looks).

Is there a parts supply that has a simple SMOOTH piece of curved aluminum paintable wall with none of the extras listed above?

I just want the wall up there to be a wall with no storage, no clock and no pelmets (the piece hiding the curtain tracks).

Thanks!

Merry
Merry Stahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Interior End Cap

The best end cap replacement I have seen, not that I have seen many, is at jcferguson's: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ari-15592.html.
He did a very nice job all around I think.
If I did an endcap it would probably be in aluminum instead of wood.
The problem with older anythings is that the production was unique and probably not made anymore. The newer stuff is bigger, wider...more expensive.
Have you tried Inland RV? Have you thought about a salvage yard or trailer?
My interest is georgeous rebuilds at birdseed (cheep) prices. But like Wally said, Talk is cheap, Airstreams are not.'
Good luck,
Robert
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Osceola , Missouri
I went to the link and am in AWE at Carlos' work! WOW! I spent an hour paging through his entire story...can I say it again? WOW.

Thanks for the link - I now have lots more ideas that will make Pa and Richard ( my husband) roll their eyes and groan.

~Merry
Merry Stahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
End cap repair

The endcap can be removed and may be able to be repaired using fiberglass.

I removed my rear endcap and repaired a 12" crack using a $12 fiberglass repair kit from Bondo (avail at Walmart, Lowe's etc.)

I filled in the crack on the front side with 2-part marine epoxy (Lowe's) which can be sanded when cured. Then I painted it once it was installed.

The fiberglass cloth repair was done on the backside after scuffing the surface thoroughly to ensure adhesion. If you've never worked with fiberglass before, just read the instructions.

The most difficult part is removal of the cap as it is pretty floppy when loose. (Definitely a two person job.)
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote