Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
That shower looks very nice and roomy, Bob, and I love the Corian. Very nice design!

Kay

Old 06-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks for the kind words. Slow progress, hope to have it put together soon so we can get some use out of it. The shower is roomy, much better than the bath and the seats/shelves make it all that much larger where you swing your arms. On the other hand, the toilet is going to be tight...

Ongoing adventures at:
http://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Longview , Washington
WOW looking good, and corian looks great. Nice job.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Guess I can now say the bathroom is mostly done. Completed building the doors for the cabinets, finished them and the cabinetry. The flooring is vinyl tiles that are grouted (extra thick). Toilet was mounted on an extension riser and is much more comfortable on my aging hips. I also made a box for the outlet and lighting switch out of some leftover corian pieces. I had a couple of holes to patch that were used previously for electrical wiring, in one corner I made a little ledge for toiletries, the other one became the base for the shower head holder.

What is not shown is the work involved in getting the gas hooked back up and tested for leaks. Of course there was one at the cutoff valve by the water heater which necessitated making a new one from different sized fittings. So on with the pictures. I wish I had a wider angle lens, the camera I used can only show so much.

Vanity top and new cabinetry. Light on top is a fixture that I bought from HD. Uses 3 110v halogen g9 based bulbs. I went ahead and rewired it a bit so it works with the 3 way switch, one light, then two, then 3. Its wired into the 12v circuit and I'm waiting on 3 12v LED bulbs to replace them. To the right is the outlet box made from corian.

Another view of the new light and outlet box. I repainted the window screen with some cold galvanizing paint and oversprayed with clear for an aluminum look. Plan is to hang some aluminum blinds over the window for privacy.

Looking to the right is the shower pan. I built it so it so that I could keep the battery box underneath as well as provide space for the plumbing vent. The seats are the same corian as the counter top.

This little shelf plugs up the original hole that passed power to bed light on the opposite side of the bulkhead.

Some more corian to cover up the left hole for the original light (under the shower handle) and another piece to mount the far end of the shower rod.

Looking down toward the toilet and new cabinetry and new flooring tile:

The new shower rod is made from 5/8" stainless marine tubing. It follows the curve down toward the back slope of the ceiling. If I didnt do that, the curtain wouldnt cover all the way to the back wall by the window. The plan is to get a standard cloth shower curtain and modify it so it follows the curve lays flat.

The other side of the shower. Shower valve is mounted on the side of the vanity. I figure this area will hold all the toiletries and shampoos that are needed while we camp. Should be fairly easy to clean too.

And another view of the toilet and the new cabinet on the right. It is a tall cabinet that goes up about 68 inches IIRC. All the trim is a brushed nickle or stainless color. And yes it is a very tight fit. Really not much I could do, there wasn't much space to work with. Behind the toilet is some unused space, I may try and engineer some sort laundry hamper or some other storage to use that space. I also need to figure out some sort of mirror to keep my wife happy. I'm thinking one of those small mirrors that pulls out when you need it might do the trick. Finally I need to do a bit more trimming out with some white paint, but that really doesn't show up in the photos.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 08-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If you have an Ikea somewhere near you, or on-line, you can find those pull out mirrors. Great job on the bathroom! Maybe you could mount a mirror inside the cabinet door too.
I did the shower curtain modification for the curve in our bathroom. Simple and looks good. It's not difficult to figure out.

Kay
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Thanks. Amazon has a few to choose from, probably one like this that has good reviews. Just waiting for funds to recuperate.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You have done a grand job on that bathroom, Bob! Making me start thinking about how I could adapt your design to fit into our '74 Sov.

Thanks for all those super-clear photos!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
You have done a grand job on that bathroom, Bob! Making me start thinking about how I could adapt your design to fit into our '74 Sov.

Thanks for all those super-clear photos!
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. The best part of the remake is the amount of room available in the shower now. I'm not a big guy, but standing in the tub before, I couldn't even turn left without swinging my arms into the top cabinets. Since its all open now, there is plenty of room to use your arms to wash and shampoo. The shower pan is only a 24 x 32, but the open area over the seats really opens the space up to about 36 x 40 give or take by the head and shoulders.

It took me quite a bit of time to come up with a plan for this space, and it really didn't gel till I had the new plywood flooring in and bought the shower pan and started to what-if different layouts while standing in the pan and waving my arms. I searched online for pictures of rear bath remodels for inspiration (and there are not that many I can tell you) and used what I thought would work. The large rear centered window is great for light but is terrible for placing a shower. The new models seem to make it much smaller and offset it to one side for just that reason. These rear baths are fairly small, and not having one square wall to work with makes it very difficult to build cabinets without lots of scribing and test fits. It would have been much easier if it were a rear bed version and the bath was built on the side, but I opted to try and use the same space so as to not make that much more work for myself.

I've always liked to repair and restore things (Tools, Boats, Cars, House) and I take lots of pictures to help track where I've been when months have gone by. I always post pictures of the progress to help others just as I look for pictures of other folks projects for my inspiration. Come this Winter, I'll be searching for kitchen pictures and a nice U shaped dinette to replace the front gaucho. Hopefully I'll get this thing "Done" one day.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
After about 10+ months of work, the trailer finally rolled again. Same place as the first trip, to Indian Cove in Va Beach next to Back Bay. We had to work around my work schedule and I was lucky to get a 3 day weekend, so we headed out on Thursday night to get an early start on the weekend. The hope was to get in before dark, but having to finish preps on the trailer and finish loading it, we ended up getting at the campground by about 8pm just as it became quite dark. Suffice it to say setting up camp in the dark is not my idea of fun. At one point I thought the 40 year old water heater was going to bite me in the behind, but as it turned out, the condensate water was running down the side from the AC and just happened to run on top of the heater. After not finding any leaks inside, I went out again and happened to see the water line coming down and put 2+2 together. The heater worked well for the 3 days we were there.

Not everything was roses. On the new light fixture in the bath, I had some concerns that the glass covers were not that secure but never did anything about it. Going into the trailer I saw that all the covers had been pooped and were in shards all over the place. I was quite mad, lots of F bombs, but it was my fault. I should have dabbed some silicone on them or made some sort of metal catch at the top. The plan now is to find some pretty thin white translucent plastic to use in place.

Otherwise, everything worked well enough. I did come into the trailer on the second day only to find quite a puddle on the bathroom floor. Of course panic set in again and it took a bit of time to find the leak. As it turns out, I had taken a shower (which worked well, especially the nice large seating area) and instead of turning it off at the faucet, I snapped the valve at the shower head. The faucet head had a steady drip which ran down to the seat and then down the side. It hit the top edge of the shower pan and then ran down the corner and onto the floor. Lesson learned, turn the shower off at the shower valves.

So here are a couple of pics of the camper. Nothing glamorous, just a nice time with friends.

New curtains going up in the front.

We've got aluminum mini blinds that should be here tomorrow. That and a few minor fixes should be it till Phase 2 starts again this November or whenever we decide we are done with camping for the year. Hopefully that wont take nearly as long and we will be back on the road by April.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Hello aquinob,

I want to thank you kindly for building this thread on your bathroom remodel. I think the bathroom in these old Airstreams is a delima for most of us vintage owners. Design flaws creates water leaks creats rotted floors and structural problems. Your remodel thread is the path I must follow this winter on my 66 Trade Wind.

Your remodel skills are most excellent. I learned a standard RV shower pan can be made to work, and the FRP can be used for shower walls. I plan on moving the toilet location so I will need a new black tank built with the openings I need. And I plan on a new vanity for the sink. I only wish I had the cabinetry skills you have.

David
Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hello aquinob,

I want to thank you kindly for building this thread on your bathroom remodel. I think the bathroom in these old Airstreams is a delima for most of us vintage owners. Design flaws creates water leaks creats rotted floors and structural problems. Your remodel thread is the path I must follow this winter on my 66 Trade Wind.

Your remodel skills are most excellent. I learned a standard RV shower pan can be made to work, and the FRP can be used for shower walls. I plan on moving the toilet location so I will need a new black tank built with the openings I need. And I plan on a new vanity for the sink. I only wish I had the cabinetry skills you have.

David

Thanks for the very kind words. I think lots of folks on this site try to think out of the box when they do interior mods. I take inspiration from the many threads that show what you can do with some time and imagination. You also have to look around and see what materials are available locally and what you can do with them. My skills arent nearly as good as some I have seen, I guess the pictures make them look better than they are. I'll be working on the front of the trailer this winter so stay tuned for those pictures. Probably start on it sometime this month as soon as I finish up with some other projects.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Bob

Just read through your thread, and I want to say that you have done a great job designing and building a new bathroom for your Overlander.

Just a couple of comments. If the receptacle is not fed from a gfci receptacle, you should replace the regular bathroom receptacle with a gfci receptacle since it is within 6 ft of the sink/shower. I replaced the original shower curtain with a new white fabric liner curtain that I got from Target. It was only about $11. The shower curtain is standard size, but I made it custom using the original plastic curtain from my 66 Tradewind.

Thanks for all the detail and the great photos. Based on seeing what you have done with Corian, I think that I will update the countertops in the 95 Excella I just brought down from Michigan.

Dan
Old 01-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
I probably should put one in there, and also one by the sink in the kitchen area. Back in 73 they didn't exist, and most of the electrical in this trailer is still original.

Ongoing adventures at:
Old 04-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #42
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Wow, wow, wow !

Beautiful job..... What was it that you said your "full time" occupation was ?

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote