Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 AM   #1
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
'72 Overlander-rear bedroom-which way to set up bed?

Hi there! We are new owners of a 1972 Overlander and in the process of gutting it out for a full, possibly frame off DIY renovation. Wish us luck, I know.

The forums have been invaluable for info and research, thank you!

It's really important to me to have a full-time (short) queen size bed. Near as I can tell the back "room" space will be 88" across and 75" deep from the back wall to those dang wheel wells.

If I run the bed with the head under the window, the corners pretty much will hit the wheel wells so there's no pathway to get around the bed without stepping over them. If I run the bed crosswise there's a bit of room at the foot but only 6" or so on either side, so not much room for a bedside table.

I know a few people have made a similar conversion...which way did you run the bed? I don't want the bed pushed against a wall.

We'll post photos as soon as I figure out how to make that all work!

Thanks much!

Laurel & Todd in Loomis
O Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hemingford , Nebraska
What did you end up doing! I am thinking of moving the bed only in my 31 Excella (1982) to head under the window. Not the same, but the bed would end at the door out of the rear bedroom. Better to both crawl out the bottom, than having one skirt around the narrow space there now? This would still leave space on either side for small tables.
mwernke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Hi! We haven't actually done anything to the interior yet, still pulling together funds for our new frame. Yes, a brand new frame. The old one is not salvageable.

But in the process we decided to put the bed crosswise, with the head against the streetside. That way we can look out the back window at our hopefully peaceful surroundings someday. We also decided on a sleep number RV queen with rounded corners, to gain a precious inch or two. Nightstand space will be minimal, for sure, but it will be nice to see out the window at night and have the fresh air blow across us instead of on our heads.
Once we looked at a few newer trailers we realized you really only need a few inches to scoot around and get the quilt down.
Good luck!
O Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote