Old 04-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Tampa , Florida
Light-weight Alternatives

I thank you all for your information.

Malcolm, you seem quite creative in finding alternative ideas to solve problems. I have also been looking at alternative materials for the construction of the interior. materials research is one of my interests in my work. I have put the added challenge on myself to build an interior that also has minimal off-gassing.

Right now it looks like I will probably be building with sheet metals and aluminum framing to accomplish both parameters of off-gassing and lightness.

I am still wondering what weight savings I will be able to accomplish. By the looks of things, not much but the effort I think will yield an interesting look for the interior.

at_wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon

One possible way to save some weight with metals would be to consider using sheet metal that is thinner than you might otherwise consder using. Again there is a perception that stiffness = quality but it could be that flexible metal foil would be a reasonable choice for some things. I don't have a good feel for what is available in that vein but I would suppose that an industrial grade of aluminum foil might be pretty strong stuff.

Only he who attempts the ridiculous can achieve the impossble.
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)