Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

somewhere in , Pennsylvania
'66 safari cabinet latches

hi guys, I've searched the forum and all of the usual supply places but can't find them - I may be out of luck. anyone know where I can find a replica of these? they are on all of my doors. the lower doors keep falling open and hitting my feet - and it hurts! if I can't find exact replacements it will be something creative for these because those offensive buggers are going. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet fixtures.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	246092  
aslvr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

That's a very hard latch to find since it was only used in the 1966 model year. What's folks will often will do that finally give up is to replace them with the 1967 model year latch that was used up through 1970 on the bottom cabinets which can be found either in white or brown at Inland RV or other places I'm sure.

The reason for the single year, though very nice looking and sleek, they often would get stuck and hard to open or come open going down the road for no reason.

If you decide to swap them out, please offer the ones you have out to those in need. Since I have two 1966 trailers, I would be interested in them myself.

Good luck on your hunt ;-)

Enjoy,
Old 09-06-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

thanks! I have just started to pull the doors - after I put them back up I might try some creative "magneting" before admitting defeat. This will be the first place I post it if I fail!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslvr66 View Post
thanks! I have just started to pull the doors - after I put them back up I might try some creative "magneting" before admitting defeat. This will be the first place I post it if I fail!
Sorry, but using magnets, will not help.

Upgrading to the cabinet hardware used form 67 to 70, is the answer that will help.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
So what's wrong with them? They sure look better than the plastic stuff on my 69.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
So what's wrong with them? They sure look better than the plastic stuff on my 69.
Perhaps.

But if you do anything with them, they extremely often, FAIL.

Airstream loves to try new, especially nice things, because they are always innovative.

BUT, when hundreds fail during warranty, they are "forever" buried.

The metal latch lasted 1 year, the plastic replacement was used for 4 production years.

The failure rate, to this day, of the plastic latches has certainly been very minimal, and when you consider being in service for ball park 45 years, THAT AIN'T bad.

Andy
Old 09-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

they still look great for something almost 50 years old but on the cabinets lining the floor they won't hold the doors closed. I had an epiphany today while dismantling things and since I've got to give the cabinet surfaces a lot of love anyway I might flip the doors upside down and try to creatively remount - that way even if they aren't technically latched they will have gravity on their side. And they won't fall open from the top down and smack my feet!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

You could always try and go backwards to a 1965 and prior latch, if you are in love with a metal style type.

What Andy say's in correct. They fail, they work, all in the same day. I've had the same 1966 cabinet latch as times it won't stay closed, then out of no where, you can't get it to open!. Drive down the road a few miles and it opens ;-)

I've never really went looking for a real nice replacement, sounds like a good winter project.

Enjoy,
Old 05-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
these 1966 latches are driving me nuts. I managed to readjust a couple and they stay closed, but a few others will open for no reason. I am up for changing them out if I can't get them to stay. Magnets and velcro don't help because of the routing on the doors and cabinets.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
these 1966 latches are driving me nuts. I managed to readjust a couple and they stay closed, but a few others will open for no reason. I am up for changing them out if I can't get them to stay. Magnets and velcro don't help because of the routing on the doors and cabinets.
Alan.

Read post # 4 above.

Hundreds of owners have made that change.

Andy
Old 05-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
thanks Andy
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!