Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
'61 Overlander- keep original or update?

So my wife and I are having a hard time figuring out what to keep original and what to replace. Our thought is to use for a few years after restoring it and eventually sell it for something bigger once we have kids. The inside is in really good shape so we would like to keep as much original parts as we can, but update items that would not affect the value too much. What would warrant the most value for resale one day? Any input below would be greatly appreciated!!
Here is what we are looking at doing:
1. Cabinets- in really good shape so just sand them down and refinish. We were originally going to paint or paint wash them, but it sounds this is a big no-no for cabinets in good shape.
2. Flooring- We don't like the ugly tile so we are looking at a rubber vinyl plank floating floor, light wood color.
3. Countertops- the Formica doesn't look the best so we are going to replace with something... any thoughts here?
4. Walls- We plan on painting with a fresh white coat
5. Windows- replace all seals and gaskets; replace a couple of broken window operators and old screens.
6. Shower- original, is in good shape with a few cosmetic cracks, just going to resurface it. What product should we use? Shower head is old so replace with a nicer one. Keep original shower faucet handles.
7. Bathroom sink- It’s an ugly ivory sink so would like to replace with newer one along with the faucet.
8. Cabinet hardware- missing a few handles. They are all brass color. Are they real brass, or can they be stripped to show the silver metal? I would prefer a more modern silver color hardware, but if keep the original brass is a better idea, then I am fine with that.
9. Oven and stove- oven doesn’t work but it is in perfect shape so planning on fixing it and keeping both units.
10. Fridge- not original, but the wood panel on the front needs replacing. Would putting in a stainless steel panel for fridge take away too much from the vintage look?
11. Door- replace gaskets. One door hinge is kind of broken, but functional. Looks like a daunting task to replace hinge because I have heard you have to get underneath the skin to put in new buck rivets, so planning on keeping it the way it is. Door has slight gap at top, can I remove door and bend it to fit better?
12. Vents- Replace all gaskets. rear vent cover operates, but unsure if fan does. Put in astrodome from VTS in front vent.
13. Kitchen sink- tub is fine, would like to replace faucet. Keeping original Ogden water filter, but need new filter.
14. Curtains- replacing curtain material. She wants to replace the original button snap curtain tracks, but they work fine. Would it matter if we replaced them?
15. Light fixtures- I hate them. Would it matter if we replaced with something more modern?
16. Trim- some places have the thin aluminum trim, other places have no trim. What to do?
17. Table- There is no table, but I would like to put in a removable double pedestal table in front of couch. Good or bad idea?
18. Inside collapsing vinyl doors- in awesome shape! keeping for sure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	202372

Name:	closets.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	202373

Name:	bathroom.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	202374

Name:	kitchen.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	202375
awetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
It sounds like you are on the right track to me. My own trailer is mostly original, with new upholstery in a tasteful pattern, and new appliances that fit in with the old cabinets. I wanted it to be as close to original as possible, but still practical for modern camping. Your own comfort level may dictate differently. I think when you get done if you have a tastefully done trailer with as much original cabinets and layout as possible, you will get a good reaction from future buyers. More people want a functional trailer than a museum piece. I think things like new flooring, new countertops, adding a removable table, those types of fixes will all be looked on as improvements.

Nice looking trailer, BTW. You might get many years of use out of it before your family outgrows it, and by then you might be pretty attached

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I too have a '61 Overlander. I am also going to try to keep it as original as possible. However, I will be replacing the stove, refrigerator, furnace, water heater and A/C. I feel these items are a must because of safety reasons. You can do these all at once or over time. My order of replacement?

Water heater
Fridge
A/C
Stove
Furnace

Good luck on project. Stay in touch. Btw what is your serial number?
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
Great looking unit! If you decide to sell that light above your bathroom sink, let me know with a private message! ;-)
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
If you do decide to replace lights and such I would suggest that you keep them as you intend to sell in the future. Passing them to a future owner would be a real bonus and selling point for many people. You have an extremely fine clean original trailer. It is considered a legacy trailer as it was made before Wally Byam died (1962) As such, I would keep it original as much as possible, updating things like furnaces and "hidden improvements" as necessary. If you intended to keep this trailer forever it wouldn't be such a big deal but a legacy trailer is worth more being original.

If its the original zolatone paint, clean it up and see if you can live with it!

What you seem to be doing is a cosmetic overhaul. I would be sure to investigate the axles and frame first before doing cosmetics. You may be lucky and have a rot free frame/floor, if it's spent much of its life out west, but for sure the axles and tires need replacing.

Enjoy your trailer! . She's a good one!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm planning on doing the axles first, then get it sealed up from the elements and then work on the inside. Where would I find the serial number?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by awetsch View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm planning on doing the axles first, then get it sealed up from the elements and then work on the inside. Where would I find the serial number?
Good plan of attack. Axles, sealing, and then the appliances.

Serial number is on plate to the right of the door.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Preface: That's a very beautiful very original 1961 Overlander you have there. It's highest value factor it is rare originality; it has heartily survived for 53 years of ownership without out being screwed up by careless insensitive owners; don't become the short-term owner who permanently damages this wonderful original legacy Airstream trailer. It has served its owners well for 53 years and proudly wears it badges of use, the battle scars and patina honestly earned over the decades of faithful performance. Please preserve some of that well regarded history. If you'd rather "create your own Airstream", please sell this one to a preservationist and find another one in far worse condition that will not be damaged by your self-expression.

Because your stated goal is to retain the most value for resale in a few years and not update items that would decrease its resale value,the best approach is to keep and repair all visible items to maintain maximum visual originality and update only operating systems that are hidden out of sight. "Keep the look, improve the functionality" will maximize your goal of high resale value. With that in mind, I hope you appreciate the following comments.

Quote:
So my wife and I are having a hard time figuring out what to keep original and what to replace. Our thought is to use for a few years after restoring it and eventually sell it for something bigger once we have kids. The inside is in really good shape so we would like to keep as much original parts as we can, but update items that would not affect the value too much. What would warrant the most value for resale one day? Any input below would be greatly appreciated!!Here is what we are looking at doing:
Quote:
1. Cabinets- in really good shape so just sand them down and refinish. We were originally going to paint or paint wash them, but it sounds this is a big no-no for cabinets in good shape.
Why sand them down and remove the original finish? Why all that work to reduce value? The cabinet finish looks good in the photos, but I can't see it close up. Repair the finish where damaged in highly visible locations, otherwise just clean, refresh and preserve the original finish with lemon oil polish.

Quote:
2. Flooring- We don't like the ugly tile so we are looking at a rubber vinyl plank floating floor, light wood color.
What you might initially and temporarily regard a ugly might be highly valued by the next purchaser. Are the tiles functional? Why remove what works? Cover them with small area rugs you like that can be removed by the next purchaser to install the rugs he or she likes.

Quote:
3. Countertops- the Formica doesn't look the best so we are going to replace with something... any thoughts here?
If it looks decent and is not cracked or missing large chunks, repair it and leave it original. Why engage in non-functional work that ruins the original look of the trailer?
Quote:
4. Walls- We plan on painting with a fresh white coat.
OMG NO!! NOOOOOO!! Next to painting or sponge-daubing every inch of nice original cabinetry with robin egg blue latex paint, the absolute quickest way to materially devalue a great original legacy Airstream is to cover all the beautiful original Zolotone splatter paint with ugly unappealing bright white latex paint. And while you're at it, be sure to splatter some latex on the original metal trim and woodwork too, just to make it even more difficult for the next owner to undue your vandalism and return the trailer to its original look.

The Zolotone looks in great condition in your photos. Clean it (its durable) and make minor paint repairs only if necessary. The presence of original Zolotone paint really enhances the value of any vintage Airstream, especially one as beautiful as yours. Don't hide it, celebrate and honor it.
Quote:
5. Windows- replace all seals and gaskets; replace a couple of broken window operators and old screens.
Excellent idea! Makes the trailer more weather tight and improves functionality, a winning combination.

Quote:
6. Shower- original, is in good shape with a few cosmetic cracks, just going to resurface it. What product should we use? Shower head is old so replace with a nicer one. Keep original shower faucet handles.
Good idea to resurface the shower, but cleaning it might work jusr as well if the cracks don't leak. Search Airforums for recommended products. Get a similar hand-held shower head and hose from Van Dykes Restorers, Barclay Tub Wall Mounted Faucet With 5 Function Hand Shower | Van Dyke's Restorers®

Quote:
7. Bathroom sink- It’s an ugly ivory sink so would like to replace with newer one along with the faucet.
Leave the sink and faucet and make them operational. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the most important beholder is your future buyer, not you. A newer sink will look out of place and not fit as well as the original sink. Repair the faucet or only replace it with a nice period correct replacement.

Quote:
8. Cabinet hardware- missing a few handles. They are all brass color. Are they real brass, or can they be stripped to show the silver metal? I would prefer a more modern silver color hardware, but if keep the original brass is a better idea, then I am fine with that.
Keep all the original handles (likely brass plated) and find a few more from vintage suppliers to replace the missing ones. Get into a Mid-Century Design Groove and appreciate how beautifully these handles compliment the original cabinets.

Quote:
9. Oven and stove- oven doesn’t work but it is in perfect shape so planning on fixing it and keeping both units.
Excellent idea! These are highly visible appliances that set the tone for the trailer and which don't wear out. They also appear to be in flawless condition. Repair them and use them with pride.

Quote:
10. Fridge- not original, but the wood panel on the front needs replacing. Would putting in a stainless steel panel for fridge take away too much from the vintage look?
Nix the stainless steel panel as too out of place. Clean and wax the wood panel, refinished only if necessary, replace only if damaged beyond repair.

Quote:
11. Door- replace gaskets. One door hinge is kind of broken, but functional. Looks like a daunting task to replace hinge because I have heard you have to get underneath the skin to put in new buck rivets, so planning on keeping it the way it is. Door has slight gap at top, can I remove door and bend it to fit better?
Great idea to replace door gaskets, a functional improvement. Door can be removed to bend to fit better; search Airforums for past how-to's. Keep an eye on door hinges and replace with Vintage Trailer Supply repro stainless steel door hinges if beyond repair.

Quote:
12. Vents- Replace all gaskets. rear vent cover operates, but unsure if fan does. Put in astrodome from VTS in front vent.
All good ideas and actual improvements.

Quote:
13. Kitchen sink- tub is fine, would like to replace faucet. Keeping original Ogden water filter, but need new filter.
Faucet looks like a replacement anyway, so replace with a period style faucet. Tall arched type as now there works great for washing dishes.

Quote:
14. Curtains- replacing curtain material. She wants to replace the original button snap curtain tracks, but they work fine. Would it matter if we replaced them?
It's harmless to the trailer's long-term value to replace soft goods that can easily be replaced by the next owner who might not share your taste. Curtains are great for self-expression because they don't do permanent damage to the trailer. Reuse the original curtain hardware so it doesn't get lost and keep the original curtains (and hardware if replaced) in a bag for next owner.

Quote:
15. Light fixtures- I hate them. Would it matter if we replaced with something more modern?
Keep the original wall fixtures which, due to existing dual voltage (12 v & 120 v) wiring, will be difficult to replace with any modern light fixture. Why more modern? The original light fixtures are correct for the trailer. Keep them and use them. It's not what you like but what the next buyer likes that is important for retaining value. Learn more about and embrce Mid-Century Modern.

Quote:
16. Trim- some places have the thin aluminum trim, other places have no trim. What to do?
Clean it and leave it there. If some trim is missing, try to find correct replacements.

Quote:
17. Table- There is no table, but I would like to put in a removable double pedestal table in front of couch. Good or bad idea?
Good idea as it improves functionality while being removable. Many vintage trailer have same type of old time practical upgrade. Keep your original free standing table if present. Take it outdoors on occasion to use there.

Quote:
18. Inside collapsing vinyl doors- in awesome shape! keeping for sure.
Great! Thanks for asking for some seasoned advice before tearing your Overlander apart. Have fun refreshing and repairing it but please avoid permanently harming it.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for the specific answers! My serial number is I-261673-D
Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I ditto most of what Fred said. However, from one of your other posts elsewhere, it sounds like the PO already painted (sloppily) over the Zolatone. If so, a fresh coat of carefully applied paint in a neutral color on the walls would not be horrible. I wouldn't go with a stark white though…

Or you can always tackle a respray of new Zolatone - it's not too tough, we did it on our '56 and would absolutely do it again. It would be a bit of a challenge in preparation if you aren't gutting the trailer, which I would not advise for this candidate.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do…it looks like a great trailer!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote