Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #1

1972 31' Sovereign
Middletown , Delaware
3D Models & Measurements

I've been searching around for specific dimensions and measurements of the 1972 Sovereign International because I'm remodeling the interior. Planning in 3D is a huge time saver for me because I can see what will work and what won't visually while building the model.

Does anyone know about a 3D model that is accurate to any airstream? Or dimensions? I ordered the service manual, but it's taking it's time getting here.

It's my first post on the forums, so I do want to say, I'm glad to be here. And thanks to everyone who has posted in other threads. There has been some invaluable information here which has been very helpful.

Looking forward to talking with you all.

James
jwo182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Athens , Georgia
James,
The silence is deafening.

I have been looking for CAD or even nominal internal dimensions, but even airstream has not been able to provide. I'm just using a tape measure for dimensions and scanning the old floor plans from the user manual, into CAD, then going from there.

It's possible that some interior designers have built CAD for their designs (maybe 3DS MAX?) but I imagine the designers do not frequent the forums, and may be reluctant to share, anyways.

Maybe contacting some of the professional folks that post their very nice interiors on Pinterest would be able to help?

BEST,
MIKO
MIKO92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #3

1972 31' Sovereign
Middletown , Delaware
Hey Miko,

Yeah, I was surprised by the silence.

I'll see what I can do to build my own. I've been busy with the take apart, so I'll just do what I can rebuilding with my own measurements.

Thanks for the ideas though!

James
Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
My best advise

If you are running at least Windows XP pro sp3,

Go to an appliance store, get big sheets of free packaging cardboard, Go to hardware store buy 6' and 3' strait-edges, 2' and 1' frame squares, a scribe, mat knife, sharpie pen, tape measure, and masking tape. Get to work making it all out of full scale cardboard and trace dimensions onto 1/2” birch plywood. Stain, varnish, Install Windows 7.

Cardboard Aided Design

Good luck, enjoy the process, it's fun...
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
There are indeed folks on this forum that 3D. If it is fun for you, then, enjoy.
Sketch-up scale model interior - Airstream Forums

I don't believe that any one "set of dimensions" will fit another trailer with the accuracy you expect. My trailer's furniture and appliance fitment from the factory was anywhere from 1/2" loose to 1/4" interference. Some of the cuts, appeared to have been made with a front-tined rototiller. The build quality was atrocious. Bulkheads ran out of plumb 1 1/2" over 4'. You don't want to replicate that level of work ethic.

When you re-fit your furnishings, you can meet cabinet makers tolerances.

Get busy...
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
These trailers are all hand made and one trailer will have variations in dimensions from the next. I'm an Architect and draw in 3D all the time but wouldn't even bother trying to draw my trailer using CAD software for anything beyond the floor plan. If I were gutting and rebuilding, I would simply use sheets of cardboard to create full scale mockups inside the gutted trailer. This would be the fastest, easiest and probably most accurate way to visualize the finished result.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #7

1972 31' Sovereign
Middletown , Delaware
Thanks for all the advice. For the most part, we will be drawing out the dimensions on the floor. Then squaring the cabinets up piece by piece using 1x2 for the frame to make sure they'll work. Just started work on the kitchen, it's great to see it taking shape!

James
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
James.
Do you have another thread anywhere that I could see your progress?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Swahealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
FWIW I used 3/4" plywood cut into 1 1/2" strips to frame my cabinets etc.

My reasoning was that it wouldn't be prone to warp, it is light, strong, and cheap.

It worked very well in the short term, and I am about sure it will work well in the long term.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote