Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 04:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
28 Ft. FC Rear Twin Beds

We have a 2015 28 ft. FC with rear twin beds. While camping outside of Austin, TX we met a couple from CA who were full timers. They had a 25 ft FC with twin beds and told us that the first thing that the did after buying their AS was replace the mattresses. I know that they purchased their new mattresses from some place in Colorado but I never got the name of the company. We have thought about just purchasing memory foam mattress topers from Costco but they aren't the right size and would need to be cut down and the edge rounded. I'm also concerned about the height, if I put a mattress toper on top of the existing mattress. In addition to the current mattresses being uncomfortable I don't like the sheets. We would like to get help on where to purchase good sheets with a high thread count for AS twin beds. If we buy the Costco memory foam mattress topers and put them on top of the existing mattresses will the AS sheets fit? Life on the road has its problems but I'm "Living The Dream"! WBCCI 3593
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
Bought ours from:

Mattress Insider, LLC | 6732 W. Coal Mine Ave #130 | Littleton, CO 80123
MattressInsider.com | Custom Size Mattress

Better than our mattress's at home - sleep better - or maybe it's the traveling!
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Byhalia , Mississippi
Rocky Mountain Mattress.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Another thing you can do is go to IKEA and buy a foam mattress. Simply cut it down with an electric carving knife; we did this to fit the odd corner bed in our 23'.

Tom
Old 03-07-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Hi fellow Austinite. We have twins in our 28 ft as well. I think you must be referring to the Rocky Mountain Mattress company ...it has been mentioned by several posters who have had mattresses custom made. In addition, I think there is a company near Austin that makes custom mattresses. You might try checking the internet for that. We bought costco toppers, however, and cut them with an electric knife as the previous poster described. I cant remember for sure, but I think I actually bought one queen and it was sufficient for both. So check the measurements before you purchase if you go that route. I do remember that I took one of the mattresses into the house to trace around it exactly. I then purchased XLTwin ( they are the right length) sheets with elastic that goes completely around the fitted sheet, rather than just on the corners. Lands End has sheets made that way. The full round of the elastic pulls the sheets into place on the curved portion, and they are deep enough to fit around the depth added by the topper. In fact, my old Airstream sheets fit too, although I prefer the new ones I bought.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Twin mattresses

We also have twin mattresses & we did buy the blue gel toppers from costco. If i remember correctly, we purchased the queen & cut it in half then shaped the top to fit. 1st i made a paper template with a large sheet of brown paper. Not too high & comfortable in our opinion.

I also purchased new sheets, paid a little more for them but they are good. We live in ontario, canada & i bought the sheets in a local shop. They are for twin beds & work just fine. I bought duvet covers from ikea & put on top without the duvet unless you want the duvet inside, i just put under the cover.

We also have the same mattress topper for the sofa (double size) for when we need extra sleep area. We slide it down behind the sofa when not in use. Works just fine.
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Twin Beds

We have a 25 foot 2001 Safari with rear twin beds. The mattresses are okay, but we wanted a little more comfort, of course. After following a similar forum quest for comfort last year, we looked into the advice of one member who recommended a foam on one side and gel on the other 2.5 inch topper by Sharper Image and sold at Sams Club. The idea is that when you want warmth you use the foam side up and the gel side up for coolness. It works great. I bought two twin sized toppers as the price was better that way at the time. I actually trimmed them with my kitchen scissors which worked great. One word of advice however, cut them for each bed with the same side up. In other words cut one for each bed with the gel side up. Then when you want the foam side up, you exchange the toppers for the beds and the curve side then fits.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
S/OS #005

2004 28' Safari S/O
Georgetown , Ontario
Twin bed toppers

The bed cover which came with our airstream is stored away as i didn't care for it. The bottom sheet does have 4 corner elastics which works fine for us & is not tight to put on. You are only adding a small amount of height & i would think the original cover would work fine as well. We also cut the foam with a large knife using the template i made--very easy to do. The gel toppers do get hard in the cold but once warm become soft even from your body heat. My sheets were 100% cotton sheets & as i said a little better sheets. We have been re-modeling-new cork flooring & carpet on the slide out. Trim to be done yet. Painted the bathroom walls. Had the dinette upholstery done but want to change to match the new decor. I would send photos but not sure how to on forum. Contact me & i will do so.
JACQUIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 AM   #9

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brownfield View Post
We have a 2015 28 ft. FC with rear twin beds. While camping outside of Austin, TX we met a couple from CA who were full timers. They had a 25 ft FC with twin beds and told us that the first thing that the did after buying their AS was replace the mattresses. I know that they purchased their new mattresses from some place in Colorado but I never got the name of the company. We have thought about just purchasing memory foam mattress topers from Costco but they aren't the right size and would need to be cut down and the edge rounded. I'm also concerned about the height, if I put a mattress toper on top of the existing mattress. In addition to the current mattresses being uncomfortable I don't like the sheets. We would like to get help on where to purchase good sheets with a high thread count for AS twin beds. If we buy the Costco memory foam mattress topers and put them on top of the existing mattresses will the AS sheets fit? Life on the road has its problems but I'm "Living The Dream"! WBCCI 3593
We recently purchased sheets and memory foam pads for our 23 FC FB Queen from A. B. Lifestyles, 800-825-4533, AB Lifestyles USA Made Bedding for Home and RV. We are very pleased. Chris
C FORD is offline   Reply With Quote