Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Sunnyvale , California
1977 land yacht 31 vs 1977 argosy minuet 20

Hi gang,
I found on my local craigslist an fellow gutting his 77 land yacht, I'm wondering what can i use from that land yacht on my same year argosy 20ft.
They are getting rid of everything from the bathroom plastic moldings, airconditioner, cabinets etc...everything! We just bought a 77 argosy that we are restoring and it needs EVERYTHING interior wise. Can anyone tell me if i can salvage anything from that land yacht for my argosy?

Much Love
Joe
joe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forums. You will find a host of knowledge on here.

To your immediate question: IMHO a 32 year old a/c is toast. Forget it. But, the radius's of both trailers are the same, so if your front and rear bulkheads are messed up, you should be able to use the ones from the Land Yacht.

I had a '77 Excella 500 31 footer. It had a frame that was sized too small and flexed too much. My trailer exhibited the dreaded "sag" and "separation". If you do searches on those two words on here, you will find volumes of info on it. The good news is that your shorter trailer should not have these problems.

Realistically, I would not advise you to buy the other trailer as a source of parts for your current rig unless you need windows, etc. and you can buy the 31 footer for next to nothing.

Interior parts can be anything you want. I personally would not waste my time replacing the interior parts of my 32 year old trailer with interior parts from another 32 year old trailer. I would make new parts from scratch combined with ordering brand new stuff for my Argosy.

That being said, you might be able to get a shower or something out of the Land Yacht. But really, you'd be better off to fabricate something brand new than to try to strip stuff out of that one. Unless of course you could get that one for such a low price that you couldn't go wrong.

IMHO, I think you should make all new stuff for your Argosy. My grandad is making all new stuff for his '58 17' Traveler and it's turning out great.

Best of luck,
Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Be smart about what you want to get. Especially if the parts have to be paid for. Good bulkheads should be grabbed. maybe get an interior wall from each side. These can be used as a template for building your own new walls. I agree that installing 32 yr old parts isn't a good idea. Unless you want that original vintage look. With a blank interior, you can have whatever the wife wants for decoration. New can also mean you might get another 32 yrs out of it.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Cape Coral , Florida
Keep in mind that the Minuet is not as wide as the Land Yacht. The Minuet cabinets, closets, etc. are vinyl covered aluminum - not laminate. There may be similarities between fixtures, hardware, lights, molding, tambour roof lockers, etc. If the condition is great and the price is right and it measures out ok, some of the interior parts might prove useful...