Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
1976 Sovereign Restoration

I'm new to the Airstream Forums and overwhelmed by all the information!

My wife and I have a recently acquired 1976 31' Sovereign in need of electrical work, plumbing, heating, and the likes.

The interior is missing a kitchen, living area and beds. There is a "working" refrigerator, but hardly any propane plumbing, so it's tough to tell how well it works.

The bathroom is mostly intact, but the toilet needs to be installed. Not that installing it would change anything, there's no fresh-water tank! The Airstream website shows that it came with a 45 gallon tank. Where can I find a replacement?

Where do we start? Can anyone recommend a good e-tailer for parts? Or articles on the forum?
socko12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Welcome socko to the forums. The frsh water tank you need is no longer available from airstream. There is only one source at that is INLAND RV. They are a great place for parts. A lot of parts that are obsolete he has or has made arrangements with manufacturers to make for him.
Inland RV Center - The Nations Leading Expert in Airstream Innovations
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
The two tanks empty thru a common drain, each tank having its own drain valve. Seems odd that someone would remove the gray tank. Double check the plumbing!
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
x

XXXX , XXXX
airstream4 the op is looking for the 45gal frsh water tank as stated in his post not the waste tanks. Airstreams never had a 45 gal grey tank.
Here is the link to the tank.
http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/prod...products_id=43
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 AM   #5

1976 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Aside from fixing all the leaks (windows, 2 pen-sized holes in the roof, and some missing rivets) I'm trying to sort out all the electrical wiring. The original owner kept saying "it worked until somebody stole the Xantrex." I'd ask what their Xantrex managed and they'd shrug and say, "I don't know, we got it because we were going to go Solar..."

Here's what I've found above the battery box: P4100081 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The 12V mystery wires go back into the wall, and the 110V wires go towards the bathroom before they disappear: P4100082 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The back of the AS has all sorts of mysteries...
P4100104 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Could this be a phone line? P4100091 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
There there's this red 110V wire: P4100092 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
And the yellow 110V: P4100093 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The orange 110V goes into the AC circuit breaker, but what is it supposed to be routed to? It just ends up by the battery box? P4100095 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I think this rat's nest is for the tank gauges... P4100096 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The umbilical 110V for shore power was in the bumper, but I couldn't figure out were it went after the bumper: P4100105 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I haven't found a 12V fuse box, battery charger, or power converter/inverter. Most of the wall wiring seems to be in place. The tongue jack and the radio work with the AS connected to my TV, but nothing else seems to turn on.

I'd greatly appreciate any help on this or links to other posts!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Nice! Here's the link to your pictures.

1976 Airstream 31' Sovereign - a set on Flickr

Welcome!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM   #7

1976 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I'm pretty sure I'm taking in water from either the front 3 (orange) running lights or from the rivets above the front awning. Either way, both to fresh Vulcum.

I also found a hole in the cover for the fiber optic turn signal/brake indicator on the driver's exterior side of the AS, and patched it with Vulcum.

It supposed to rain today, so I'll know if I still have leaks. I can always count on Portland for a quality rain-test.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Welcome to the forums socko! That is a nice project you have on your hands. I'm sure you have leaks in a lot of places you can't see. Where the water leaks, the floor will rot. Finding and fixing leaks on an Airstream is a never ending task. They all leak, even the new ones. As for your electrical situation, I'd recommend getting a wiring diagram from a 76 Sov service manual and see if that will point you down the path to electrical bliss. If the PO has made extensive mods to the electrical system, you might want to just start all over. Good luck! There are many people here that will help you.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Congrats to your new AS or new to you I should say.
You will find loads of info here on the forum and lots of helpful people.
I don't know if it will be much help to you but I have an electronic copy of the owners manual for a 1978 Excella that someone was good enough to mail me when I started working on my 93 Excella. There were some differences due to the years difference but I did get a lot of good from it. And I never turn down free info. That's why most of us are here. It does have some wiring diagrams that may help you out. If you think you'd like the info let me know and I'll email it to you. Good luck with your project!
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #10

1976 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I didn't have to wait long to find out if I fixed any of the leaks--it rained last night. One down, two wet spots left.

jsmith84: I'd love to have that copy if you still have it! I ordered a fuse block, power inverter, and power charger/converter from Richard at BestConverter.com, so I'll finish the electricals when that stuff shows up.

In the meantime, the either the copper pipes are bad, or the fixtures in the bathroom leaked, because the plywood supporting the bathroom sink is rotten. I'm redoing everything in PEX and getting new fixtures, so that should take care of any leaks. (assuming I do a good plumbing job!)

I also picked up an ugly, old, RV stove on Craig's List for next to nothing, and got some black Rustolium BBQ paint. I got a steel sink at Lowes, so I'm pretty close to being able to button up the kitchen.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
I feel your pain

Last March I got my 76 -31 foot in bad codition. it was a mobile home on blocks for over 25 years. Lots of leaks,bad converter,water pump,refer,toilet ,no couch,the list goes on. Luckily very little floor damage. 12 months of hard work and now I am pleased with the results. Look up GAT post and you can find some pictures of another 76 .They are great models to restore.
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
No problem

No problem, just PM me your email address and I will get it to you. Im going to have to get it into a PDF file so it will email easier but that wont be a problem. It should have some info in it that can help you.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
I was able to send you the Owners manual in a PDF file. I sent it to your email. Let me know if you run into complications trying to open it. (Shouldnt but you never know). I also have the service manual that has more information that I think you would like to have but its a big file. Give me some time and I'll figure a way to get it to you too. Sorry for the delay. Not the greatest computer guru in the world.
Old 03-19-2024, 01:21 PM   #14
pearceny

1978 31' Sovereign
Canandaigua , NY
1978 Sovereign service manual

I just purchased a 1978 31' Sovereign in need of much repair. I could really use a copy of the service manual if you still have an electronic copy.

Thanks in advance.
pearceny
pearceny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 05:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Marion , New York
Here is a link to the owners manual that might help you out.

https://www.airstream.com/owners/manuals/year/1978/
DremStremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome to these AirForums pearceny: I bet you will really enjoy your renovation project and getting this old Sovereign back on the road. I helped my friend renovate his 76 Sovereign 31' a few years ago. We still do various projects on it now and then. He and his family really enjoy traveling with it. It is a comfortable and reliable vintage Airstream.

Airstreams are not all that complex compared to an automobile for example. Just looking and trying to figure out how they built it and how it might work. I think that is part of the fun. It is all aluminum and rivets, plumbing, electrical, propane piping, steel frame repair, and the like. Below is a link to Airstream Inc documentation archives. You may find it helpful in learning about your Sovereign.

David

https://www.airstream.com/owners/doc.../tt/year/1978/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Camping-800x600.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	442185  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1976 sovereign, 31', sovereign