Old 08-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Indiana
1976 31' Sovereign rear bed idea...

Not satisfied with the full bed oriented on the side of the rear sleeping area (that leaves a bit of unused space at the very rear) - I am kicking around fabricating a custom full sized bed/mattress that will be completely back against the rear of my AS. By pushing this back against the rear wall, I will gain some important floor space in front of the bed. My plan would be to make a frame that protrudes 52" from the rear center wall. I will contour both the frame and the foam mattress to fit snug in this space. My wife assures me that with her skills on the sewing machine, she can make me a set of custom sheets to fit.
Aside from weight issues (I will be building the frame out of 2"x2" and 1"x3" balsa wood planks that are virtually weightless) can anyone see any problems with this thinking?
I have also tried to think of making 2 twin frames - but with the offset hallway on my Sovereign - I can't figure out a satisfactory plan.

ryan3326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Is your bed orientation perpendicular, or parallel to the trailer length? Sounds like you have the idea and the skill set to do the work. The framing work is easy, and if you're willing to take on the matress and sheet stuff I say go for it.

Our 76 originally had rear twins that were later converted to a perpendicular double. We have a contoured nightstand that fits the curvature of the streetside rear corner, and another that fit between the streetside closet wall and the bed. The foot of the bed (curbside) wall is a tight squeeze but it's do-able.

The only question would be, will you still be able to use the streetside storage door (assuming you have one) if you proceed?

We've toyed with the idea of rotating the bed 90 degrees so the head area is under the rear window, but our matress is a standard size double and it butts against the wall separating the bathroom and hall closet.

Take some pictures as you go and post them along with a report of your progress.

Regards and Welcome,

. We

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Our 31' 1979 Sovereign had a California King...

It was modified before we got it. The PO made a new bed area covering the entire rear of the camper. It was framed underneath with aluminum angle and the platform was 1/2 plywood. Then he put the California King mattress on top with little foam inserts in the curved areas. It was a tight fit from back corners of the camper all the way to the wall for the bath and he remade the bedside table smaller next to the closet.

Here are a couple of pictures:

Getting the mattress out required 2 rachet straps and alot of heaving. We have decided to redo the platform so it hinges in 2 places and put 2 twin matresses together (easier to move in and out, flip over and lift to access underneath). Our head will be under the back window. I am also going to build short shelves on both sides and headboard area for storage and places to set cups, books, etc.

We also need to remove the latex paint from the walls in the bedroom and see if we can save the Zolotone underneath (crosses fingers).
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
caldwell , Texas
Me too...

Im currently working on the same AS. Im putting a whole room bed in the rear as well, with the option of two beds. Ah yes the hallway problem. So I put 26in wide bunks in the hall. I continued the 26in width for the right side bed. Ill leave a walkway between the frames then im building the other bed frame, which is a little bit smaller than a double. The centerpiece will be removable to make two beds or stay in place for whole room bed. See the pics. May make more sense.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS-Bed.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	200383  
smtex is offline   Reply With Quote