Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > General Interior Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
ramah , New Mexico
Send a message via Yahoo to pntdldy Send a message via Skype™ to pntdldy
1971 Streamline Empress Imperial Renovation

Renovation finished, my retirement home is ready to furnish and haul away. I have a few more things to do to make it MINE, like the cabinet doors are going to be replaced and/or decoupaged. I was thinking perhaps old tops of wine crates for the kitchen, maybe some pallet art on the long ones.

Anyway, the subflooring in the back was rotted out, so replaced that. Used laminate (water resistant) in the back for added support and linoleum in the front for its durability. A futon will be placed in the front along with my antique Singer sewing machine. I miss taking the one twin out as it had DRAWERS, but I'll make do with less! The other twin will be a daybed and will set up a 'library' in this area complete with 5.1 surround sound hooked into already existing speakers.

The mechanical closet I asked them to cut in half, so all of my mechanicals are in the bottom, a newer water heater went in with dual control (gas/elec) so I turn off the breaker and have a switch to turn on to heat my water, then I can turn it off when it's done. I still have enough room to store items I don't use much, and the top will hold a cat bed and house plants.

I have a rack for linens and clothing in the other bath closet.
I have a coat closet up front which also holds other 'stuff'.
The other closet had shelves built into it prior to my purchase, so I lined the shelves with leftover linoleum and stocked it with my favorites. I'm an excellent cook and kept the original range/oven as it will cook a whole turkey in my roaster pan (yes, it fits!!!) They surely don't make them like this any more.

The fridge is a newer Dometic I just lucked into on Ebay, it was three miles away from my contractor's house to pick up. less than half the price for a new one, plus a bigger freezer (frozen veggies, not canned). Sad, as the original Dometic still works, just the doors were shot!

I am pleased with the results. I can't wait to get on the road and head back home to New Mexico. I hope to be able to travel between Southern Arizona and NM for winter (working cattle) and summers in the mountains of NM where I have a small ranch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02strbrd.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	884.5 KB
ID:	218707   Click image for larger version

Name:	LR.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	218708  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kithall.jpg