Old 09-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bacliff , Texas
1967 Airstream Overlander possible Floor/Frame damage???

Okay, so today I finally took out all the restroom/shower stuff and noticed that the floor towards the rear, pretty much the restroom area, has a sag. I don't see any bend on the exterior of the body (stretches/bends), so I'm hoping the frame isn't bent. The back floor is rotted because the back windows has been missing for years and never replaced (30+ years).

My question is, does the floor naturally dip down towards the back, or do you think I have frame damage. I can't really see the whole underside of the frame because I want to completely remove all wiring/pipes/insulation before I demo the floor and remove the belly pan. Once i remove the belly and flooring, I know I will be able to see the frame better.

I'm attaching pics as well.

Thanks,
George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2236899041.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	196519   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3197419740.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	418.6 KB
ID:	196520  

Name:	image-4019042492.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	196521   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2282015805.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	196522  

Name:	image-697010056.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	196523  

Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
From the picture you have some frame damage this is assumed from the missing frame cap. The fram can be repaired but you will have to remove or raise the shell. The floor should not sag or droop to the rear. Carefully drop the back end of the belly pan and take some more pictures.
Cliff

Old 09-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bacliff , Texas
Thanks Cliff, will do! I'm prepared to remove the shell from some of the threads I've read. This is my 1st Airstream AND project of any kind, so I want to totally do it the RIGHT way. I'm LUCKY to have it stored where I can work on her at a buddy's shop who does body work/paint/ frame welding , ect.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
My ambassador seems to slope slightly downward aft of the bathroom doors too. I have replaced the floor and repaired the end separation. I didn't see any fram damage. I think you need to drop the belly pan and see if you can find any places where its bent.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bacliff , Texas
I wanna say it dropped more than an inch when input the level on it, and the floor to ceiling height remained the same front and back. I would figure there would be some visible stretching of the outer skin if there was frame damage, but I guess the stretching would be by the belly area which was ripped off when I pulled it out of the sinkhole it was sitting
Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Liberty Township , Ohio
I think if its bent the skin will wrinkle and you'll see the frame rails bent. I think it was built into mine.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
As explained to me - sight down the side horizontal sheet joint rivet lines on an old trailer and you'll see up to 3/4" of arc with the high spot (hopefully) above the axles. Its kinda hard to see with the trim installed, easier to spot once the wraps have been removed.

If one could do the same thing underneath, if there wasn't the fresh water tank in the way, with a taut string-line then you'd see that 5/8-7/8" that appeared as every thing had the slack stretched out of it...

One thing I noted on mine ... since the frame is a 'C' profile even a little dent in the bottom of the main ladder frame will warp the bumper downward on that side. The dent would be from Joe Somewhen either attempting to lift-jack the trailer up from behind the wheels, or strenuously raising the 'A' frame hitch jack with stabilizer jacks in place that puts a pleat fold in the lower 'C' section beam flange... Just saying it could a cumulative effect from a number of things...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
I think that it is just where the frame had rusted and with out the cross member in place the weight distribution or load sharing between the two frame members stopped causing the rail to bend. When you have the shell off take your level and start 4 feet in front of the axle should be the peak then work back find a possible twist slight but there. A hydraulic 10 to jack and anchor point will fix the bow and twist and a new couple of cross members will help maintain the repair.
Cliff
Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
I think if its bent the skin will wrinkle and you'll see the frame rails bent.
not really...what happens is the body separates from the frame - so the skin will remain attached to C channel and frame will sag. essentially the frame falls off the trailer. with all the floor rot i wouldn't be surprised to see the frame rusted too. : /

Working on a similar project myself at the moment...
Old 09-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bacliff , Texas
Dang, that's what I was afraid of. The other bad spot is right in front of the entry door...

Tags