Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Well tonight...I have the couch layed out in my livin room floor. Taking the upholstery off....to take apart and use for a pattern to make new upholstry.
jerseylilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseylilly View Post
So...O indictes Overlander...
So once again, I beg to differ with regards to the "O" standing for Overlander...that's based on a faulty document that has roamed around in the Airstream archives for years. It mistakenly indicates a "0" (zero) as an "O" (letter). It stated the "O" stands for Overlander when in actuality it is intended as a "0" (zero) which is just a placeholder when the "Land Yacht" level of finish is present. "I" was used for "International" finishes.

The term "Overlander" has always stood for a length of trailer, not a level of finish.

Regardless, looks like you are enjoying your creative restoration...we need more pics as you progress through it - can't wait to see how it all comes together!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:51 AM   #23
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Not to add to any confusion, but back then, the "O" stood for Overlander.

They were all Overlanders or Internationals.

Then, later on, the Overlander meant a 26 or 27 foot Airstream, depending on the year.

That comes from the old Airstream books.

Andy
CORRECTION.

The "O" stands for Landyacht, as per Airstream 1960's documentation.

Sorry for any confusion.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
I will definately keep you all posted with my progress. This upholstery job may get interesting.....well I say may...it already has. Because I know or at least I think I do that this isn't the original couch cover. There were lots and lots of staple holes in the arm rest that looked like a couple previous jobs had been done. Plus....as I am ripping seams....I'm finding some seams are 1/4 inch wide..barely holding fabric together...and some are over an inch wide. Gonna make cutting a new one out from this pattern and gettin it sewn back together again for a good fit a real chore. I don't know anyone....that would put something together with seams like that. LOL

I hope...when I'm dead and gone...and the next person comes along finds my job better than the one I'm dealing with haha (although they may think I was a nut case because of the paint job *snicker snort*
Old 09-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Lovely...another 100 plus degree day....and we are out trying to refab one side of the cabinets to house the new refridgerator....and the A/C decides it doesn't wanna work right. I think it's the themostat not functionin properly because every so often the compressor kicks on and it does blow cold air...but not often enough to stay out there and work. Uhgggg....and we were making such good progress!!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
My seam ripper and I....tearin' the couch cover apart...piece by piece to use as a pattern.

A pin cushion....a pair of scissors...cuttin all the new pieces out.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Fountain Valley , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Leprechauna
How Fun!!!!!! I will probably end up with a renovated one, and was wondering what people have done with crazy wallpaper, instead of putting up expensive wood. The birch looks gorgeous on the vintage streams, but it may not be in my budget.
Leprechauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
The cabinet facer boards in ours look to be oak....then the cabinet doors and other paneling are birch. Then someone along the way decided it all needed a coat of varnish. I like the color of the cabinet doors and paneling...but the facer boards don't match at all. So durin our redo..I will sand down the finish and try to match stain to the existing paneling.

Then there's the pocket door to the bathroom. I think it's got a formica like veneer on it. One side is the green/blue stripes....like's on the rest of the bathroom cabinets...then the side that shows to the rest of the trailer when the door is shut...is some kinda fake oak wood grain...that they put varnish on. Originally was a blonde finish. So I'm not quite sure what I'll do with that door yet.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Leprechauna...I'm not sure if your referring to the inside of mine when you say crazy wallpaper....LOL But none of that is wallpaper...it's all paint. I'm anti wallpaper on any surface.....hate the stuff. Because if you've ever tried stripping wall paper it's no fun whatsoever. Paint is so forgiving...if you don't like it...you can always paint over it again.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Piping that I've made for the couch cushions....

And ruffles....yeah you got it...ruffles for the couch...Can't have a plain lookin couch in a gawdy trailer...it's gotta match the resta the gawdy LOL
Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
House of Dreams...

Looks like you might be giving MacKenzie-Childs a run for their money...(scroll down at link)

Pasta anyone?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
I did see that trailer in some of my searching for redo inspiration. Don't care for the shells and pasta part....made several cigar boxes with macaroni glued on them in grade school and vacation bible school...think I got that outta my system way back then LOL But it is a cute trailer overall....and whoever took the time to glue all that stuff up there...I admire their determination...because it had to take alot of time.

As for the Gypsy trailers....I absolutely love them. If I found one...I do believe I'd hafta have it for myself. To restore. That would be a fun fun project. Only thing is....you'd hafta have a set of pullin horses...and all our horses are Barrel horses....they don't go slow haha.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Fountain Valley , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Leprechauna
Jersey...I was thinking of finding some wild, leopard type wallpaper. I have used steamers to replace the stuff in the past, and have also done lots of stenciling with paint.
The link to the gypsy trailer, looks to have some pretty cool map/wallpaper action, that could just not be replicated with paint. I like using both. Your trailer is going to be great!
Leprechauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #34
Rivet Master In Training

1965 22' Safari
Mount Airy , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Kevo Send a message via MSN to Kevo Send a message via Yahoo to Kevo
I wish I had taken some pictures of my old foam, but the PO had all of my cushions done in Leopard print...I can only imagine there was some shag carpet and lava lamps in there at one time as well.
Kevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Well....no shag and no lava lamps for me....Maybe a kerosene lamp or two tho
Old 09-28-2011, 01:21 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Well I've made that last seam (after workin on it til 3 am)...put the foam rubber back in....all zipped up. And now I hafta take it all back out again because it's a little big on the back cushion. When I took the old covers off...I noticed that some seams were 1/4 inch...and some were 1 1/2 inches. Don't know why it was done like that...but that's not how I sew. I try to have uniform seams everywhere. So....I now have to take it in about 2 inches on the underside of the back to make it fit. Was hoping for a first time fit. But that never happens anyway. So I'll pull it all out and then put it all back in a bit. Needed a break....Wrestlin those 6 ft long foam rubber pieces will wear ya out~!!!! LOL

hour or so later.....

All out...made some modifications...and wahlahhhhh all back together again. And it fits!!!! Yay!!! Im not real crazy about that pillow on the right tho....Not likin it. Or it needs somethin added to it. Oh.......I know.....More gawdy!!! that's it!!!! haha

Old 10-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Couch frame and storage compartments....all stripped...sanded...restained and finished. Along with the doors for the compartments.

[/
Old 10-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
The ugly pocket door. It really is ugly. And it's not even wood. It's kinda like formica countertop stuff. So...I set to work. But first a couple pics of just how ugly it really is.

Somewhere along the way....in my lil trailers history. Someone decided varnish would help. NOT

So I sanded the whole door....

Then painted it with a Gesso primer....so that acrylic paint would adhere to it.

Finally get to the color part of painting. Barn red....(these next photos were taken with my phone)

A little painters tape, and some gold paint.

Pull the tape off.....I'm likin it!

This is where I quit last night. Still have a few more things to do to it. But it looks much better than the old ugly lil door it was when I started.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Ok....the last of the bathroom door pics....
Alot more tape...for just a little more paint. I painted black in the stripes and then came back over that with more gold. All done except for the final sealer coat that I'll do later this evening after this has had a few hours to dry good.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:55 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
Richards , Texas
Not really a fun part of the project....(too much like cleaning LOL) But a job that had to be done if I wanna cook in my trailer.
Stove before....

Stove after.....

All nice and shiny now.

Tags
1964, 1964 globetrotter