Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
'03 31' Classic rear queen LEAK

Hey Folks,
Discovered a leak on carpet beside rt side of bed. Found that outside awning rafter was attached to lower chrome mldg and over a period of time has pulled away from trlr. Tightened as best I could and caulked but did not seem to fix. Checked roof and other attachments and all seems to be fine. Any suggestions on how to track down? Only happens in heavy down pours etc. not showers. Starting to ruin carpet.
Let me know
Bob

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The awnings function like a rain gutter channeling water to the end and drenching anything below. We have had a similar leak under the awning end where water was getting through the (operating) window seal, pooling in the lower window channel, and overflowing down inside the wall by way of the window operating mechanism, where it goes through the channel.

Tightening the window locks for a tighter window seal has helped but we're watching it. The window seals are not perfect, especially in wind-driven rain. Also, if that channel has a seam in it at the bottom, water (and window condensation) will drain through that seam down inside the wall. Use sealant on any lower window channel seams. We haven't figured out how to make a good seal where the locking hardware passes through the channel.

cheryl

Old 05-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Try sealing the upper awning clamp/mount (the one with the "wheel") Mine would only leak while driving in a heavy downpour, front and rear.

I assume your wet carpet is in the corner where the wall meets the bedside wardrobe?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Valparaiso , Indiana
Exactly where the leak is

I can win any argument on any subject. People know this and steer away from me at parties. Often as a sign of their respect, they don't even invite me.
rochar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Do keep in mind that a variety of sources will show up there. That is the c-channel junction between the curved rear and the straight side. Water that enters the c-channel will run inside the channel to that opening. But since it is occurring stationary and presumably level, look to those awning mounts, the drip rail, the seam between the rear clam shell and the roof/side wall, the FF or A/C (whichever you have). Touch all the rivets in the area with Captain Tolley's.

These are "hunt and find" exercises. Assume frustration going in and be patient.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote