Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
I think it may be 31ft not 29ft, despite being advertised as 29ft. I did find where the VIN number was on the side so am going to compare with the title I got
alexj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Alexj: I am confused. Why would you pay a mechanic to repair and replace systems which are designed for over the road travel when when you plan to live in the AS full time parked? If you can make minimum investment as I suggested in my last post you can test the "fit" to see if you grow more or less fond of your now shiney turd. As you add more systems you kill your wallet, slash reliability, and increase your "pucker factor"
KISS, go slow, otherwise you'll have a hanger queen.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
If the trailer isn't already scrap metal that leaks like a sieve (which I suspect it is), if I try to repair it myself I am sure I will manage to make it that way

After I managed to destroy my last camper I am now of the mind that mission critical repairs must be done by people who know what they are doing

If the trailer is to far gone for reasonable repairing it is going away, and I will chalk it up as an expensive learning experience (except I don't learn . . . . oops)
Old 08-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Excella

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj View Post
If the trailer isn't already scrap metal that leaks like a sieve (which I suspect it is), if I try to repair it myself I am sure I will manage to make it that way

After I managed to destroy my last camper I am now of the mind that mission critical repairs must be done by people who know what they are doing

If the trailer is to far gone for reasonable repairing it is going away, and I will chalk it up as an expensive learning experience (except I don't learn . . . . oops)
Alexj, Checking the leaking is fairly easy. Use a water hose to run water over sections of the trailer a small section at a time. You can even use a friend to run the water while you spend time inside looking for leaks. Or if you prefer you can be proactive and clean off all the old sealant and treat all the panel seams and rivet heads with Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure (available at good marine stores)! This will absorb/wick into any cracks or gaps until full and seal them, Then after you are sure leaks are fixed you can overlay Acryl-R or other Airstream caulk sealant to prevent future leaks! Once your shell is waterproofed you can deal with window leaks or glass replacements as needed. Once trailer is dry then you can deal with floor rot or other issues. Turn it into a aluminum tent for a while if you need time to afford repairs but get the leak issues stopped first! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Kiefer , Oklahoma
Alexj: Please, sell your AS ASAP or trade it in on a SOB. This AS isn't for your currant lifestyle. Maybe a newer AS with little to no problems for your future lifestyle. I heard Breckenridge makes a very good residential RV.
Floatingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:12 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
Mechanic has checked it over and his initial impression is positive. AC and microwave both work. It needs some work so it is going to be towed to the shop. Mechanic thinks floor and shell are solid. May need new hot water heater, which I already budgeted for. Other systems not yet tested.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
Has a new water heater, getting AC replaced, going to move in this weekend may be the plan
Old 09-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
Or not. My buddy who has the big truck has his truck laid up so I can't do musical trailers to get my old SOB out and my Airstream in! ACK!

My poor Volvo has been towed to the shop to be worked on and to clear the approach route for the Airstream to move in
Old 09-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Jasper , Texas
Electrician just came by and now I have new shiny outlets installed for my Airstream to plug into when it is deployed

Moving closer

Also pondering naming it Yellow Submarine since the interior is very yellow, and hopefully much like a Submarine the water will stay on the outside
Old 09-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
alexj; How about "Moby (silver) Pickle" Sounds better with (silver) left out unless....

Shinny Moby Pickle
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote