Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #1

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Talking Words of Wisdom ... Please

I am new to not only the forum, but also to Airstreams! My husband and I met at work 2 years ago (he is a firefighter and I am a paramedic - both in Austin), got married at the beginning of October 2011, and we decided to dive right in to our first major adventure as husband and wife...we rented out our downtown condo, bought a 2012 27' International FB and moved into an RV park in downtown Austin as fulltimers.

We are so excited, and learning so much - but I have heard over and over again that the best advice and wisdom comes from the forums. I just thought that I would introduce myself and ask:

If you were limited to the top 3 things you wish you knew when you were a beginner, what would they be?

Thanks a ton!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard....

Although we had been streaming for 18 Seasons, I consider the purchase of the new Classic in 2004 the start of the beginner status...

1) The Forum's

2) The Forum's

3) Spend more time shopping for gently used...

Bob
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Welcome to a new world of fun!
1 - lock the door. Having it blow open on the road is not fun.
2 - awnings get damaged in high wind, and collateral damage to the trailer is bad. Take them down if you think it can get bad.
3- constantly check for leaks. Fix as soon as you find it.

Sounds like you bought a beautiful trailer and the perfect size, although opinions do vary. :-) oh...it is a forum rule to post lots of pics! (-:

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Welcome, here are my three:
  • Always set the rear awning arm one notch below the front arm to cause a slope which allows for water drainage; otherwise water can accumulate in the "sag" of the awning at 8.3 #/gal. and overstress the awning.
  • Monitor the batteries to prevent over charging as the OEM converters tend to "fry" them (fully charged batteries will be in the range of 12.6 to 13.0 volts).
  • Put an air filter element in the outside refrigerator vent door to prevent wind buffeting while enroute from blowing out the gas flame (I never remove mine).
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
As has already been said: Welcome.

1) Try before you buy - it's the best way to determine what you really want or need.
2) Buy what you want, even if it means delaying a purchase a few years, because modifications are way more expensive; especially rebuilding.
3) Don't let the size of your current tow rig determine the size of your Airstream.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
San Francisco , California
Welcome!

1. Make it yours - add some flair that will make you smile even when things are not going so well.
2. You will only use 1/2 of what you take with you. There is always places along the way to get more.
3. Share your excitement! Spend time talking about your AS and tell your story, over a beer usually works best.

Have a great time! If you need someone to rent it our during the F1 race next year. Keep me in mind!

Happy Holidays
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
1) Pay for the Airstream as soon as possible. Debt will limit your enjoyment of life and threaten your future.

2) Don't give up any precious living space to storage. Get by with as little "stuff" as possible, bring home nothing unless there is a place to store it.

3) Inspect and maintain your Airstream relentlessly. Water leaks are inevitable and cause serious damage quickly.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Get a good mattress! We have a 12" memory foam mattress from Costco. Easy to cut to size and is wonderfully comfortable!

We also use a ceramic disc heater for cold nights. Why use our propane when we can use the campgrounds electricity right?

Have fun! Sounds like you're off to a great start.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey
Get a good mattress! We have a 12" memory foam mattress from Costco. Easy to cut to size and is wonderfully comfortable!

We also use a ceramic disc heater for cold nights. Why use our propane when we can use the campgrounds electricity right?

How did you cut the mattress? What did you do with the mattress cover?
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
How did you cut the mattress? What did you do with the mattress cover?
We're thinking about new foam for our 67 (beds and couches), so I did a little research online about cutting. The best suggestion I saw was to use an electric knife. (We'll use the mattress covers we've got since Maria went through the trouble of building them.)

Lynn
Old 12-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Yep, an electric kitchen knife works great. Just unzip the cover, and roll it back. After your done the cover just fits a little loose, but doesn't cause any problems, especially if you put that end up against the wall.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
Bean2005:

Welcome to the forums and Airstream living. In addition to all the other great suggestions, mine are:

1) Always do a thorough walk around the Airstream and tow vehicle before pulling out of a camp site with the Airstream attached. You can never be too thorough. I have started to leave with the tongue jack down. I have towed without inserting pins in my Hensley; they were still on top of the hitch when I arrived at our destination; and this is after owning an Airstream for five years. Make sure all awnings are securely locked, etc.

2) Block your trailer wheels before unhitching. I had a friend who forgot to do this with the Airstream on a hill with a slope toward the front. Scary situation but ended up ok.

3) Be prepared and know how to change your spare tire.

Also know that everything can be fixed.

Enjoy your Airstream.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Everything that's been said plus:
  1. Make sure you both know how to hitch/unhitch and drive
  2. Make sure you resolve discussions/arguments ASAP, as there's not enough room to "stew"
  3. Have fun!

My wife also put together her list of lessons learned from our first 6 months of full-timing (although our situation is somewhat different than yours), but perhaps you can get something out of it: Lesson Learned | Airstreaming Dreaming

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bean2005 View Post
I am new to not only the forum,...

If you were limited to the top 3 things you wish you knew when you were a beginner, what would they be?

Thanks a ton!
Pull the trailer onto blocks for the left/right leveling then make sure the hookups reach

Don't arrive after dark

Slow down and relax, rushing to arrive raises the stress level - it's supposed to be FUN!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Don't leave the city water hose connected to the trailer water inlet turned on all the time. Only use the city water to refill your freshwater tank because high pressure from the city water system can cause plumbing to start leaking in places that you may not notice until your floor is ruined.

Use about 1mL/gallon of bleach to keep your freshwater tank free of living things.

Let your black tank fill up, empty it and then close the dump valve. Leaving the dump valve open will result in the dreaded Black Hills problem in your tank. A reed fragrance diffuser in the bathroom makes life more pleasant.

As was said before use electric space heaters instead of burning propane for heat.

Try to arrange some shade in the summertime because it makes the trailer tolerable instead of a sweatbox.

Memory foam beds are terrible IMHO. Get sleep number type beds and latex pillows.

Buy a small clip on fan to blow on the fridge coils. Otherwise your fridge will be just barely cool in the summer time.

Be nice to each other.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can leave the city water hose connected if you use a pressure regulator. There are several sources to purchase a regulator which attaches to the hose connection. The recommended pressure is 40#.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Everything that's been said, and be sure to keep your "sense of humor" close at hand!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I think all newer ASs have built in pressure regs,,No? jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean2005 View Post
I am new to not only the forum, but also to Airstreams! My husband and I met at work 2 years ago (he is a firefighter and I am a paramedic - both in Austin), got married at the beginning of October 2011, and we decided to dive right in to our first major adventure as husband and wife...we rented out our downtown condo, bought a 2012 27' International FB and moved into an RV park in downtown Austin as fulltimers.

We are so excited, and learning so much - but I have heard over and over again that the best advice and wisdom comes from the forums. I just thought that I would introduce myself and ask:

Thanks a ton!
hiya...
1.have as much fun as you can.
2.if you have problems, the info is here...
3. i wont say any thing bad to you...some day you may have to pound my chest...

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Noxon , Montana
question about the ceramic disc heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post

Which model works best for you?
Pecos
Pecos is offline   Reply With Quote