Old 12-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Don't leave the city water hose connected to the trailer water inlet turned on all the time. Only use the city water to refill your freshwater tank because high pressure from the city water system can cause plumbing to start leaking in places that you may not notice until your floor is ruined.

Use about 1mL/gallon of bleach to keep your freshwater tank free of living things.

Let your black tank fill up, empty it and then close the dump valve. Leaving the dump valve open will result in the dreaded Black Hills problem in your tank. A reed fragrance diffuser in the bathroom makes life more pleasant.

As was said before use electric space heaters instead of burning propane for heat.

Try to arrange some shade in the summertime because it makes the trailer tolerable instead of a sweatbox.

Memory foam beds are terrible IMHO. Get sleep number type beds and latex pillows.

Buy a small clip on fan to blow on the fridge coils. Otherwise your fridge will be just barely cool in the summer time.

Be nice to each other.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Austin, TX "Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can leave the city water hose connected if you use a pressure regulator. There are several sources to purchase a regulator which attaches to the hose connection. The recommended pressure is 40#.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Everything that's been said, and be sure to keep your "sense of humor" close at hand!

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
I think all newer ASs have built in pressure regs,,No? jim
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain

Originally Posted by bean2005 View Post
I am new to not only the forum, but also to Airstreams! My husband and I met at work 2 years ago (he is a firefighter and I am a paramedic - both in Austin), got married at the beginning of October 2011, and we decided to dive right in to our first major adventure as husband and wife...we rented out our downtown condo, bought a 2012 27' International FB and moved into an RV park in downtown Austin as fulltimers.

We are so excited, and learning so much - but I have heard over and over again that the best advice and wisdom comes from the forums. I just thought that I would introduce myself and ask:

If you were limited to the top 3 things you wish you knew when you were a beginner, what would they be?

Thanks a ton!
1.have as much fun as you can.
2.if you have problems, the info is here...
3. i wont say any thing bad to you...some day you may have to pound my chest...
Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Noxon , Montana
question about the ceramic disc heater

Originally Posted by ASwifey View Post
Get a good mattress! We have a 12" memory foam mattress from Costco. Easy to cut to size and is wonderfully comfortable!

We also use a ceramic disc heater for cold nights. Why use our propane when we can use the campgrounds electricity right?

Have fun! Sounds like you're off to a great start.
Which model works best for you?
Pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
1. In winter, fill your fresh tank and disconnect hose! If you accidentally leave it connected, it freezes, you open faucet, forget to close it, line thaws, you flood your trailer. Oops! Lol

2. Do not lose your sense of humor! See no 1.

3. Keep your fridge under tree or in shade if possible. Helps a lot.

4. Cover your tires. Sun kills.

5. When you buy something new, take something out. (donation stations!)

6. When you hit the road, check that sun guards, rock guards AND screen in hot water tank are secure. See no 2!

7. Get ahead of the heat early in the day. If you wait to cool off Airstream after work, you're toast. In 100+ degree days, close off bedroom and the front of Airstream will actually get below 80 degrees. Won't hurt AC. We're on year five in the Texas heat!

8. Bathe your Airstream regularly. It's good for the soul and let's you keep an eye on any spots that need Vulkem!

9. Remember you chose to live on wheels for a reason! They're made to move. Enjoy it at every opportunity!!!

Best of luck. Look forward to reading about your adventures! You guys should consider the Rally in June in San Marcos. We're thinking about heading that way...
Sammie, Krystal, Lucas, Spencer & Jake!
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1969 31' Sovereign
Ft. Worth , Texas
Wait you said three!!! Oops! Lol
Sammie, Krystal, Lucas, Spencer & Jake!
stowaways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD FB
1970 23' Safari
1956 16' Bubble
Jamul , California
Great question, fantastic anwers...all three were "the best advice"...don't forget See More, Do More, Live More!
Welcome the the two stay safe our there.
Stream Safe,
Bob U-
San Diego, CA.
The " TinDen "
2007 25' International FB
1970 Safari 23' Land Yacht
1956 Bubble 16' California Whale Tail
Charter Member 4 Corners Unit
(View all of elfirebob's images)
elfirebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
Rivet Master
1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
Might want to put the antennae down and be sure to lock the awning. We know people who have forgotten and lost aforementioned. Remember #2 above! LOL
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins HD
1987 Excella 32'

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member
2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
Congrats on your new lifestyle!

My wife and I are on the same track. We decided to change gears in life back in '09. We got rid of a house on the West coast, bought an Airstream, and decided to try full timing. We moved to Austin for two years while we did some exploring to figure out where we wanted to settle. Not sure where you are staying, but we based ourselves at Oak Forest and really liked the folks there. Also became seriously addicted to Salt Lick. We still miss the BBQ.

The three things that I would recommend would be to travel, travel, and then do some more traveling. I am a firm believer that while these trailers look great in the backyard as a guest house, they were really intended to be road homes. We spent some time at the factory and were moved by Wally's obsession of testing his product with caravans all over the globe. Nothing compares with the ability to bring your own personal hotel along with you while you explore some destination for a few weeks or longer if deemed necessary. We spent a summer in the Canadian Maritimes where the Airstream was put to the test in all sorts of crazy experiences. It came through without a hitch (thank god). Even dragged it up the Alcan from Montana.

Anyway now we are in Alaska and still full timing it (winters too). These are great rigs. You and your husband have some good times ahead.
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Nevada City , California
Talking 3 things I wish I had known

I'm on my 4th Airstream and I wish there had been (1)airforums (2)pack lightly then cut that in 1/2 (3) everything should have two purposes especially in the kitchen. (4) best kitchen purchase was a stainless steel wok. I've even baked a cake in it! oops! I went on to four things. Have fun and you will have fun.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member
Alexandria , Virginia
My suggestions:

- 12 volt computer fans work well to keep your fridge systems cool in TX.
- Electrical whole-trailer surge protectors can save your bacon in places with questionable power supply
- Have a checklist for setting up camp and for breaking camp - and use it.
Gruffid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I bought my trailer brand new two years ago and can vouch for the value of Airforums. I have profited greatly from the thousands of years of experience of people who have been so kind in answering my questions and helping me enjoy my trailer. I can say that it has given me just incredible joy -- and having just retired (for the 3d time!), I plan on using it even more in 2014. The Airstream is MEANT to travel, it is sublime in this respect. In addition to all that you've read in these posts, I'd add one thing: when I've done something dumb, it's usually because I've been in too much of a hurry -- so I'd say: RELAX and don't rush things. Have a leisurely breakfast, don't push for break of dawn departures, call at a "day" early enough to see where you're parking (backing in the dark makes a tense activity even more tense), get into a parking spot early enough to enjoy where you've parked. Above all, just enjoy your trailer and the terrific people you are going to meet.

"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote