Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Charlotte , North Carolina
Wondering about this...

Is there such a thing as (creating a new phrase here) 'part time full timing"

What I mean is six to eight months (maybe) of the year you are on the road, the remainder you are at a 'base'...

I love the idea of full timing, but I am one of those who seems stuck to his mail box, his 'library', and so forth...
mack-in-nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
How about a 70%'er or something like that???
Sort of the inverse of the biker 1%'er....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc
Is there such a thing as (creating a new phrase here) 'part time full timing"

What I mean is six to eight months (maybe) of the year you are on the road, the remainder you are at a 'base'...

I love the idea of full timing, but I am one of those who seems stuck to his mail box, his 'library', and so forth...
Sounds like PTFT to me. I think a little nail polish remover will get you loose from that mailbox. . . :-)
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:49 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We may fall into this category. We have had Lucy since June 1, 2006. We have now camped in her for 1,013 nights. That works out to 46% of our time in the Airstream over this nearly six year period. We do not go somewhere and stay for months at a time. We are constantly on the move. We rarely stay more than a week in one location.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
We may fall into this category. We have had Lucy since June 1, 2006. We have now camped in her for 1,013 nights. That works out to 46% of our time in the Airstream over this nearly six year period. We do not go somewhere and stay for months at a time. We are constantly on the move. We rarely stay more than a week in one location.

Brian
Brian:
I think Butch and Sundance moved every week, too! Best stay away from those rallies in Bolivia! :-)
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We are in the southern states six months over winter each year to enjoy warm weather, meet people, and sightsee. Wouldn't give up our home either. Constant travel month after month does not appeal to us, we go to different places and settle in for awhile. Some places a short stay, some months at a time.

You would find the best weather at home in cooler months and traveling the north in the summer.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2006 28' Safari SE
Gold Beach , Oregon
"Snowbird" if you are trying to stay warm in your travels. We've spent a little over six months living in Sylvia during the past year but are currently back home in Idaho.
TAC: ID-1
idmtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Curious.....'1013 nights'......do you mark each night on a wall in your 'cell'?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We would be part-time fulltimers.

8-9 months of travel each year, and wouldn't give up our little house for anything.

Have to have a home place, to spread out a bit, for holiday gatherings and overnights with the grandbabies.

The perfect balance, in our opinion.

Maggie
Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
It's what I'm planning on doing. When in the States, in the Bambino. When in Europe, in a small flat. (Admittedly right now, it's a big flat. But the plan is small eventually.)

Now, if I was staying in the States, I think I'd try to find some land and build a three room "house" with a semi-enclosed deck for the Bambino to "dock" in, so I have a living room/office, bathroom with a tub, and storage space. Maybe a full size oven too.

I'm divesting myself of most of my books and getting Kindle or Books versions. I'll be a happy camper when they start doing knitting eBooks for major craft publishers...

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Ah Zlee...I do enjoy my Kindle but there are too many books that are not on Kindle that furnish far to much enjoyment to me to part with...Almost no fly tying books for example, none of the Larry Gonick "Cartoon Guide to..' [whatever], suprisingly few 'Dummy' books...not much Pat McManus, John Gierach, or Leonard M Wright.

And it is surprising when you look on Amazon at Airstream/RV books the number that are not on Kindle...you'd think that would be the first thought of a publisher of those books..But it doesn't seem to be..

Ideally what I want is a Kindle the size of a lap top, with the books/authors mentioned above and some others..Any book that leans heavily on pictures illustrations etc needs more display space than on the current Kindle...
Old 04-01-2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack-in-nc View Post
Ah Zlee...I do enjoy my Kindle but there are too many books that are not on Kindle that furnish far to much enjoyment to me to part with...Almost no fly tying books for example, none of the Larry Gonick "Cartoon Guide to..' [whatever], suprisingly few 'Dummy' books...not much Pat McManus, John Gierach, or Leonard M Wright.

And it is surprising when you look on Amazon at Airstream/RV books the number that are not on Kindle...you'd think that would be the first thought of a publisher of those books..But it doesn't seem to be..

Ideally what I want is a Kindle the size of a lap top, with the books/authors mentioned above and some others..Any book that leans heavily on pictures illustrations etc needs more display space than on the current Kindle...
We went to NOOKs last year for travel, but have many paper books that are must-have's and will continue to buy more.

The space-economy is so amazing. We used to ship books home when we were on the road, so we had room for more. Stored them under the benches and in various nooks and crannies.

We bought one, then daughter #1 gave us hers when she bought an IPad, soe we are one for each. Better than trying to read on the smartphone, but that is doable.

Aaaaah, technology.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Much better than without! I get books still, but so much less now with the iPad. Totally worth it.

Funny thing about phones, I thought trying to read and constantly flipping pages would be maddening...but I don't even notice it.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Well Zlee, we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one..I am a major league big full blown hopeless book addict..While I do enjoy my Kindle, that said, there is something I find very satisfying in holding the book, turning the pages...this 'feeling' just isn't there with the Kindle..though I happily admit the Kindle's conveience.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
I used to say the same thing, Mack! . Then I started living out of a suitcase...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This is a discussion we've had, too. We have the advantage of having a son who is a software engineer. Since we don't retire until 2015, his advice is to not buy anything yet. There are some exciting developments in the works, and we should just save our pennies for a couple of years.

As a librarian, I'm seeing that more publishers are going into the ebook market. The general consensus is that there will be more "niche" publications available, as the ebook market shakes itself out. Think back to the old VHS/Beta issue, or, for us really old fossils, the 8-track/4-track battle.

Will print die out? No. Will it eventually become a very specialized medium? Possibly.

Personally, I'm looking for a tablet that will let me connect whatever devices I need for the task at hand (keyboard, cd/dvd drive, external hard drive, large monitor, etc.) for when I need those things, and can run by itself when I just want to sit and read. I suspect that they will be quite common in a few years.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote