Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2008 19' Safari SE
Erie , Colorado
I used to say the same thing, Mack! . Then I started living out of a suitcase...

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
This is a discussion we've had, too. We have the advantage of having a son who is a software engineer. Since we don't retire until 2015, his advice is to not buy anything yet. There are some exciting developments in the works, and we should just save our pennies for a couple of years.

As a librarian, I'm seeing that more publishers are going into the ebook market. The general consensus is that there will be more "niche" publications available, as the ebook market shakes itself out. Think back to the old VHS/Beta issue, or, for us really old fossils, the 8-track/4-track battle.

Will print die out? No. Will it eventually become a very specialized medium? Possibly.

Personally, I'm looking for a tablet that will let me connect whatever devices I need for the task at hand (keyboard, cd/dvd drive, external hard drive, large monitor, etc.) for when I need those things, and can run by itself when I just want to sit and read. I suspect that they will be quite common in a few years.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search