Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Winter living in the Grand Canyon

We are camped in the Grand Canyon for the winter. We will be working in the Association bookstores and are looking forward to the season in the canyon.

I have attached some photos of our set up. The first is just before I started skirting the trailer for the winter. The last three show the trailer with my skirting job and the back side with my winterized hose and such. The vertical post is the water inlet and I winterized it as well..no point taking a chance.

I used 3/4 inch foam board that is foil sided (out to match the Airstream The installation is on a gravel pad, so there was a fair amount of trimming and cutting to get it all to fit properly. The foam board is forced up under the rub rail and then taped. I decided to apply as little tape to the trailer as possible. I am sure that I will have to do some pretty serious cleaning of the rub rail in the spring, but it looked like the safest and easiest solution for our installation.

The weather last night was clear and 17 degrees. I suspect that at 7000 feet plus or minus..we will see some temperatures near zero this winter.

One thing that you cannot see is that I put a trouble light under the trailer that I can turn on when the temps get really cold..I am looking for a thermostat that I can hook up to do it automatically..but if I need to I will just plug it in when needed.

I did look at fabric skirting. It would be pretty simple, but I just could not justify the money for what may turn out to be a single season experiment. I will look at fabric again if we decide to do another winter up here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7440.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	171587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7463.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	171588  

Name:	IMG_7466.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	171589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7468.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	171590  

Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
Totally jealous, even if this does mean living through snow and cold winter nights. Your living my dream right now!
10 more years, and I'll be there too!
Is this through Workampers?
Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Have a great winter!

Good for you. We hope to make it to the North Rim someday. I wish for you good weather and good times!
monkeypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Greetings Deauxrite! having lived in Flagstaff for 19 years perhaps I have some information that may have some value. The wintertime temps often dip below zero in the winter and I have personally lived through 40 days and nights where it never rose above zero with wind chills of -65. Doesnt happen every winter but it is best to keep an ear on the weather channel since several feet of snow in a night isn't unusual either. Your winter should still be doable with adequate insulation and heat. As far as a thermostat for the underbelly heater, these are readily available at any area hardware store. I got one at Homco Ace Hardware in Flagstaff a few years back, very handy but make sure there is a visual indicator in case the thermostat fails so you can manually turn on.
Beautiful place to winter, so jealous
tim
rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Deauxrite, I just ordered this thermostat for a different application, but might work for you. BTW, I am soooo jealous, sounds like a great job and adventure!

Portable Thermostat | Thermostats| Northern Tool + Equipment

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Telluride , Colorado
Excellent skirting job!
purdiferis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Keep us informed on how wintering in the Airstream goes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
How far is your site to the bookstore? Are there other workcampers for the season near you? You look like you have a lot of privacy. Is this your first experience with working on location? How long will you be there and what are your next plans if you have decided as yet? Sounds very exciting. Hope you keep us posted. We were at the other rim one January and had to shovel our way into a site. It was beautiful, albeit, cold and icy. We hope to return in milder time of year to explore.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
I am curious what your interior heating strategy is. Propane?

Thx.
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Glad to see you guys made it ok. And I thought 44 was chilly this morning. Still I would rather be there than here. Have a great winter season and hope to see you next year if you pass thru this way again.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
For those interested...we have been fulltiming for 6 years in our Airstream. These jobs we got wind of from some friends we worked with in Alaska in 2008..and those jobs we did find in Workcamper News. In fact, about half of our seasonal jobs we found using that resource..the rest were word of mouth from people that we have worked with. As for next summer..no plans yet..we usually start thinking about it in January.

Heat is propane..big tank to be delivered this week. Supplemented with electric if necessary. I am currentlt working on window treatments to add some insulation and plastic film as a barrier to those that it makes sense to treat.

Thanks for the heads up on the thermostat. I will make that happen.

We do have other workcampers. Because of the way that the sites are laid out, they are not real close..a block maybe. We are about 2 1/2 miles from our work location...bicycle on a good day..free shuttle bus is a 15 minute walk then a 30 minute ride..or drive..those are the options.

I will post problems and solutions as the winter progresses. We are excited to be here. Being a photography nut and the chance to live in the canyon for 6 months is a dream!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Please post pics and descriptions of your window treatments when you are finished. I've been pondering how to do the same in a milder climate. Your solutions in the colder climate might be the ticket for me. Thanks!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You're in the canyon? I thought the only way down was by mule or walking.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would be most interested in how the Airstream handles cold weather. How much propane and electricity you use. I have heard a big problem with ASs given only about 2" of fiberglass insulation is condensation in cold weather. Any experience with wintering in cold weather areas before?

I live in Central NM and have a house in town. I also have some property out of town I am thinking about moving to when I retire in a few years. Thinking about full timing out there. Usually winter temp lows in the mid 20s but last year was particularly brutal with temps well below zero.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
You're in the canyon? I thought the only way down was by mule or walking.
Oh no..there are other ways ..remember..it is downhill all the way. However, our parking spot is just .3 miles as the crow flies from the steep dowhill part.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Oh no..there are other ways ..remember..it is downhill all the way. However, our parking spot is just .3 miles as the crow flies from the steep dowhill part.
You can fly in by helo to Havasupai, or boat in by raft or kayak, but as far as I know nothing that you could call a road.

As far as mule the limit is 200#. That let's me out!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #17

2012 22' FB Sport
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the post deauxrite. I am embarking on my own skirting project this weekend. Would you mind sharing sharing the brand/type of rigid foam insulation you used? I have found a couple of good options at my local Home Depot. Also, how did you get your rounded corners to look so good?
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
You can fly in by helo to Havasupai, or boat in by raft or kayak, but as far as I know nothing that you could call a road.
I just heard a news blip that said the road to Havasupai will be "improved" at great expense. Winter has arrived to Flag, snow last night and temps in the teens.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
I worked at the Canyon Years ago. Wound up in a dorm over in the village. The winters aren't always so bad,but they can be. I think that you will be just fine. That's going to be a lot of running time on your heater motor. The vain switch is also going to get a lot of cycles. Considering the time it's going to take to get a new motor if it wears out,ordering a new one now would buy a little peace of mind. Eventually that motor is going to go,they don't last forever.Often the vain switch just gets some crud on it that can be knocked out. But they aren't hard to change and a new one isn't super expensive. Wind at the canyon is normally not as bad as Flagstaff but it does happen. Say hey to the mules for me.
Mark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We don't depend on the propane furnace except in the mornings. Instead, we use a couple of liquid-filled radiators to keep the chill off overnight. We've been in Flag in the early teens, and the radiators + the roof air heat strip + the furnace kept us alive. Below 10 degrees, I'd be heading south.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0097:Bess in Flag snow.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	172433  
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote