Old 12-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Pardon my ignorance... What is heat tape?

WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott J-24 View Post
Pardon my ignorance... What is heat tape?
I's basically a long flat heater element that you wrap around a water hose, and then plug into 120 VAC to keep the hose from freezing.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Thanks, that is one of the things I like about the forum, always learning something new.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Just don't go into Home Depot and ask where to find the "heat tapes" or you will get either blank, dumb stares or be sent on a long walk all around the store to the locations of many completely unrelated items. The magic phrase for finding these things is "heating cables".
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
One video I've seen in YouTube shows wrapping waterhose in aluminum foil then placing heat tape next to the foil so heat can 'radiate' all around waterhose. Then insulate hose all the way to RV. It's on YouTube under heading 'How To: RV in the winter'.
Maybe this might help.
Good Luck, Derek
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #76
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Merry Christmas to all of you that are following this thread. I have attached a link to a very short video clip of our Christmas Eve day. By the time that it finished snowing we got another 4 inches. More shoveling for me..keeps me in shape.

On the subject of heat tapes..read the packaging carefully. Most of the ones that you find in the big box stores specifically tell you not to use it on a vinyl or rubber hose..like the ones that we use. Those particular types of heat tapes are used on hard line and get too hot for hoses. I am speaking from experience..they will make your water taste terrible and, in my case resulted in a hose that self destructed. I finally found a heat tape that is used on roof gutters. It seems to be working much better..but this experiment of living in the cold climate of the Grand Canyon is about figuring things like this out..so stay tuned..I will let you know how the heat tape experiment works out!

Video - deauxrite's Photos
Old 12-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
How are your pets handling the winter? Looking forward to some more videos and pictures of the canyon in the winter.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #78
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Very cool video!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Pets at Grand Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
How are your pets handling the winter? Looking forward to some more videos and pictures of the canyon in the winter.
Hey Mike! Good to hear from you. Rosie the wonder dog is loving the snow. She gets free run of the forest behind the trailer when there are no Elk or Mule Deer in the area. She romps and runs and wonders why I am sooo slow!

Cats..lots of sleeping going on..nothing new there!

All in all..pets are good..we are good. It is 7 degrees this morning and we had a blizzard yesterday. The snow was so thick and the wind was blowing about 40mph...it was tough for a couple of hours..then the suncame out! Go figure.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well it is a whopping 3 here in Denver! Merry Christmas! We still have water in the tanks and all is well! Have fun!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like you are getting similar weather, though more snow. We have about 6" on the ground right now and more predicted today and tomorrow. Remember never to wrap heat tape around itself or it will burn itself out. I recall seeing a post some time ago about problems with the very expensive heated hoses, though others have used them without problems. It probably depends on the brand.

I think I'd simply fill the fresh water tank every day and take the water hose inside before it freezes. I think at 20˚ a water hose starts to get very stiff in about 5 minutes, about the time it takes to fill the tank. Are you having any problems with ice build up in the sewer hose? A blocked and frozen sewer hose is not something anyone would want to have to deal with.

Our cat wants to go outside a couple of times a day and then after he investigates his territory, he's back at the door to sleep for another couple of hours in a warm, safe place. I think cats sleep about 90% of their lives.

Gene
Old 12-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #82
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
It only took us a few drain hose freeze-ups to get one of these hangers: 1/4" per foot drop will usually suffice. We leave the drain valves open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2417drain.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	175283  
Old 12-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Winter for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Sounds like you are getting similar weather, though more snow. We have about 6" on the ground right now and more predicted today and tomorrow. Remember never to wrap heat tape around itself or it will burn itself out. I recall seeing a post some time ago about problems with the very expensive heated hoses, though others have used them without problems. It probably depends on the brand.

I think I'd simply fill the fresh water tank every day and take the water hose inside before it freezes. I think at 20˚ a water hose starts to get very stiff in about 5 minutes, about the time it takes to fill the tank. Are you having any problems with ice build up in the sewer hose? A blocked and frozen sewer hose is not something anyone would want to have to deal with.

Our cat wants to go outside a couple of times a day and then after he investigates his territory, he's back at the door to sleep for another couple of hours in a warm, safe place. I think cats sleep about 90% of their lives.

Gene
We have the fresh water tank filled for contingency purposes, but will use city water as long as possible. I am currently using a white water hose with heat tape. It works well, though the water does taste and smell of heated plastic. I have orderded another heated hose ( the first failed miserably). It really is the best solution! As far as sewer hose goes...I agree..do not let it build an ice dam. That is not pretty! I make sure that it is clear before dumping.

Propane truck came by today. $100 to fill er up. Money well spent in my opinion! It is nice that we have a 50 gallon tank set up here. Even if we run short we can switch over to our regular tanks. The weather this week looks to be pretty cold.

I will post on the efficiency of the dehumidifier and issues with condensation later in the week. I have been keeping a log..hopefully it will provide some good information for others.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #84
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have been keeping a log..hopefully it will provide some good information for others.

Yes, please (and, thanks!)

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote