Old 12-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Pedaler View Post
By Grand Canyon Village do you mean you are set up in Grand Canyon Village several miles south of the park complex, or in the rv facilities near the visitor's center. We've stayed there and cycled back and forth to Hermit's Rest.
We live inside the park..actually about a half mile from the rim. If you remember where the Albright Training Academy (Ranger training) is..well we are pretty close to that complex. The two camping areas in the park are a bit closer to the Market Plaza than we are. In all there are about 2500 full and part time employees and their families that live inside the park.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Columbus , Ohio
Internet connectivity

How is the internet reception in your locale? Any word on which carrier has the best reception?

You guys have a lot of Chutzpah...did I spell that right (and intended in a positive way)? When I read this thread, seemingly everyday, I flashback to the scene in The Shining, where Nicholson gets lost in the maze...all I gotta say is "Stay Safe".

The thread is a good read, and if you guys can winter it out in Yellowstone, I can get out in 40 degree weather to get my belly pan installed...maybe.

thanks for sharing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	174871  

Old 12-18-2012, 06:54 PM   #59
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Chutzpah

Internet. Ah yes. We are using a Verizon Myfi Jetpack and it works pretty well in most areas of the park. In fact it works very well in the living areas and the hotel areas. It works, but very spotty in the campgrounds and in the Market area. AT&T phones work OK, but the service areas are spotty and the signals usually 2 bars.

We are getting hammered again tonight with snow. We have nearly a foot on the ground now and it looks like another 5-8 now in the forecast for tonight. It looks like more shoveling in the morning! I may have to take my alternate means of transportation to work in the morning!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:05 PM   #60
Avid Wanna Beeeeeee

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Maybe we can twist your arm to get some freshie pics????
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #61
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Keep us in touch, we just talked to friends in Flagstaff that say it's going down to 1 degree tonight, G.C. usually gets colder.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Looks like 6 tonight. Heater running..new dehumidifier running..white RV water hose split at about 12F. Now using internal tank and pump..all is good. There is a bit of condensation..but not too bad. Seems that bourbon, water and a hot shower makes it all OK! Taking two asprin and will check it in the morning!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #63
Avid Wanna Beeeeeee

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
Looks like 6 tonight. Heater running..new dehumidifier running..white RV water hose split at about 12F. Now using internal tank and pump..all is good. There is a bit of condensation..but not too bad. Seems that bourbon, water and a hot shower makes it all OK! Taking two asprin and will check it in the morning!
I like the way you think... stay safe... you're 'streamin my dream.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hawk View Post

The stove idea though is awesome. I looked on a site called Marine Stove based out of Washington and the Little Cod is a pretty awesome installation on a '55 Vintage 'Stream... I think i uploaded a pic...
There are some posts elsewhere on these forums about someone who installed a tiny, marine-style wood stove in his trailer.

So adorable, and the best heat and dehumidifier you can find. There is also the entertainment value of just looking at it.

We have a small wood stove in the main room of our little stick house, one of the best planning decisions i made when this house was built in 1985. Love it.

Interesting thread, though we never plan to winter over in our Interstate you just never know what the day might bring.

Maggie
Old 12-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #65
Avid Wanna Beeeeeee

Currently Looking...
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
There are some posts elsewhere on these forums about someone who installed a tiny, marine-style wood stove in his trailer.
I know and completely functional. I dont know if your referring to StreamlineAK who is dry camping in ALaska for the winter... but she inspired me to look at the marine stoves. Although she went with a land style stove... I like how the Little Cod can be secured so it does not move...

I have been looking at different models for either restoration or buying new as I make a decision and now part of my criteria is having a layout I could alter for a stove....
Old 12-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
At 7:30 am the temp here was .1˚—maybe went below zero just before the sun same over the mountains. We got 4" of snow yesterday. We are at 6,836' and I think you are a bit higher, so more snow and lower temps. You would have to be higher than we are to be getting out of the piñon forest and into the tall conifers.

Your water hose broke? I seem to remember you had an insulated and heated one.

So do you snowshoe, cross country ski or walk to work?

Seems like the JB Weld worked.

Gene
Old 12-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #67
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Wow! What a wonderful experience!

Forgive a dumb question, but we do some off-season camping and plan a bunch more in February/March. We have always winterized the Bambi. We can still use the sink and toilet (via manual flush), so long as we put some RV antifreeze or windshield-washer fluid down with the waste water. We heat up small amounts of water on the stove. Showers have to be taken elsewhere. The main issue is constantly refilling our water bottles, but it does take away the worries about frozen water pipes.

The drawbacks to this system compared with having water on tap are obvious, but I am wondering if you considered it.

Our first-ever AS experience was camping in a year-round provincial park in Ontario in March. We chatted with the campground hosts who always winterized their RV. They had a couple-dozen water bottles, and showered in the park facilities.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:51 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
At 7:30 am the temp here was .1˚—maybe went below zero just before the sun same over the mountains. We got 4" of snow yesterday. We are at 6,836' and I think you are a bit higher, so more snow and lower temps. You would have to be higher than we are to be getting out of the piñon forest and into the tall conifers.

Your water hose broke? I seem to remember you had an insulated and heated one.

So do you snowshoe, cross country ski or walk to work?

Seems like the JB Weld worked.

Gene
"Seems like the JB Weld worked."

I hate to declare victory at this stage..but the hot water tank is NOT leaking. It appears that the JB Weld is holding up. It was a very small defect in the weld. I cleaned the area with acetone and roughed the surface with sand paper. Then I applied the JB Weld. I allowed it to cure for 30 hours and tested it. I continue to check it twice a day and I turn the city water off when we leave the trailer..until I am completely convinced.

Yes I split a heated water hose. I have no idea why it split..other than it was a couple of years old. I replaced it today with a new hose..wrapped with heat tape and foam insulation..all better..I hope.

We usually drive to work or ride the free shuttles. I would like to walk more, but it is three miles and very icy right now. I see lots of opportunity to walk in the spring.

Currently we have about 6" of snow on the ground..more tomorrow night. Night temperatures have been around 5f and daytime highs around freezing..not too bad!
Old 12-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #69
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Wow! What a wonderful experience!

Forgive a dumb question, but we do some off-season camping and plan a bunch more in February/March. We have always winterized the Bambi. We can still use the sink and toilet (via manual flush), so long as we put some RV antifreeze or windshield-washer fluid down with the waste water. We heat up small amounts of water on the stove. Showers have to be taken elsewhere. The main issue is constantly refilling our water bottles, but it does take away the worries about frozen water pipes.

The drawbacks to this system compared with having water on tap are obvious, but I am wondering if you considered it.

Our first-ever AS experience was camping in a year-round provincial park in Ontario in March. We chatted with the campground hosts who always winterized their RV. They had a couple-dozen water bottles, and showered in the park facilities.
If we were camping for a week or two I would probbly consider that approach. Since we are here for the next four months and we have prepared our trailer and ourselves for this effort..well, I think that we are committed to the plan.

I hope that we are getting ahead of our water issues. Since just about everything is new..I think that we can make the winter. Besides we are not close to the normal camper facilities in the park and our work schedules would make it pretty inconvienient to try and use those services.

One of my goals this winter is to decide for myself if this Airstream can be made into a "four season" living arrangement. There are lots of opinions..I want to decide for myself..and this is an opportunity to do that. For the last 6 years we have either headed south for the winter or winterized the Airstream and moved into a stick built. I will let you know what I think in April!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Keller , Texas
We are staying at The El Tovar tonight. It's a very nice place, but we do miss the 'stream.

I didn't think it would be easy to deal with the potential problems of a frozen trailer, so we left her at home.

It's good to hear that you are able to deal with the cold. I had my doubts when I first started reading this thread.
But it looks like you are hanging in there.

Good luck!

Eric

AirHedz is offline   Reply With Quote