Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Silverton , Colorado
So how's it been there as far as weather goes. I should be out of Silverton Colorado tomorrow. Then taking care of a heater problem and some non Airstream things will probably keep me tied up in Montrose CO. for about a week. Thinking of stopping at the Canyon for a few days. Then heading to Cottonwood AZ for a bit and then south. It's been close to zero every night here.
Mark Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Sounds interesting!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Foam board for skirting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
Thanks for the post deauxrite. I am embarking on my own skirting project this weekend. Would you mind sharing sharing the brand/type of rigid foam insulation you used? I have found a couple of good options at my local Home Depot. Also, how did you get your rounded corners to look so good?
I used the stuff from Lowes. It is 1/2 inch thick and silver (of course) on one side. It is flexable enough to bend along the curved aresa of the trailer which simplifies the installation. It is taped along the seams with duct tape and could be attached at the bottom with lumber in a real windy environment. In my case, it is secured with loose gravel shoved up against the bottom. It has done well so far with 40mph winds.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Update on the living in Grand Canyon..

Well, if it can go wrong... I bought one of those expensive heated hoses from Amazon. Got it all hooked up and the temperatures fell into the mid teens. The hose failed and froze as solid as a mackrel! Fortunately that was all that froze. I replaced it with my old heat taped and aluminum foil wrapped hose and life is getting back to normal.

I covered my windows on the inside with clear shrink plastic (walmart). It is helping noticably with temperatures inside as well as with condensation. We do not cook inside..we do bake..but boiling pasta or other cooking chores are done outside. That also helps with condensation. Towels are hung outside as well to help with condensation.

So far we are very comfortable. Propane heat supplemented with electric if necessary. By the way, I did get a thermostat so that the light under the trailer and the heated hose come on automatically at about 33 degrees. Thans for that tip!

Now we work, enjoy the canyon and see what kind of winter we get. Since we were in Alaska last winter (not in the trailer), we are looking forward to it.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quite a difference from Skagway. Sounds great and the site you have is wonderful. In the spring you can float down to Lake Mead—easier than bringing the Airstream up the trail from the bottom.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Glad to hear that you seem to be managing just fine.

I might suggest an electric blanket. This way that expensive electric is right next to your body. Cover it with a down blanket to keep the heat in. Only problem I see is getting out of that warm bed in the morning.

Keep us posted. We are with you all the way.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Skagway differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Quite a difference from Skagway. Sounds great and the site you have is wonderful. In the spring you can float down to Lake Mead—easier than bringing the Airstream up the trail from the bottom.

Gene
Yes Gene the differences are pretty dramatic. I miss Skagway terribly, but if we are going to experience new things..well it is time to see some new places. Skagway will always hold a special place in my heart..and anyone who has not been there should read your blog (and mine) and hit the road. That drive from The Alaska highway to Skagway needs to be experienced by anyone who loves to travel and drag an Airstream. Safe travels to you..maybe we can meet up again one of these days for coffee or dinner!
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxrite View Post
That drive from The Alaska highway to Skagway needs to be experienced by anyone who loves to travel and drag an Airstream.
Not only is the scenery beautiful (same with road to Haines), but the hill down into Skagway is steep, narrow and requires good brakes. There were grown manly men at the campground still wired about that drive down and I think he didn't like it when I told him my wife drove down.

Skagway was cool, but moving on is cool too. We only have so long to do this thing, so keep trying new places and things to do. There is a biography of Mary Colter, the first American woman architect. She designed some buildings at the Grand Canyon and the design (Mimbreño) used on the dishes they now use at the restaurant at El Tovar. Not a page turner, but a lot of info about the gift shop across from El Tovar and other buildings she designed. Might be something to read during those wintry nights.

Surely we cross paths again when the time comes.

Gene
Old 11-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:
Not only is the scenery beautiful (same with road to Haines), but the hill down into Skagway is steep, narrow and requires good brakes. There were grown manly men at the campground still wired about that drive down and I think he didn't like it when I told him my wife drove down.

Skagway was cool, but moving on is cool too. We only have so long to do this thing, so keep trying new places and things to do. There is a biography of Mary Colter, the first American woman architect. She designed some buildings at the Grand Canyon and the design (Mimbreño) used on the dishes they now use at the restaurant at El Tovar. Not a page turner, but a lot of info about the gift shop across from El Tovar and other buildings she designed. Might be something to read during those wintry nights.

Surely we cross paths again when the time comes.

Gene
I drove to Alaska last year....14,000 miles total....roundtrip from Georgia. I fondly remember the drive to and from Skagway and I did it as a woman towing solo in my Airstream. I met a caravan in British Columbia...but I did the entire drive as a single woman and travel from Georgia to British Columbia alone. The trip into and out of Skagway for a trip to remember. Also, the Top of the World Highway from Tok, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon Territory, was also another special trip--especially the part of the trip from Chicken, Alaska, to Dawson City. I would do it again....
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
The weather has been spectacular here on the south rim this week. Highs in the 50s and lows around 25. I finally got my water pump replaced and my heated hose working, so hopefully the water issues are resolved. All of the windows minus the panoramas are now insulated with plastic...it helps with the condesation. The propane dealer delivered a big tank...life is good.

We woke up this morning with a yard full of elk. Makes walking the dog a bit tricky, but we managed.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
How are you getting the plastic to stick or rather where are you sticking it. We recently tried to use the plastic with tape and the hair dryer. It wouldn't stick to the walls. Most of it came off pretty quickly. Any ideas?
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Glad you got to experience Tok and Chicken! haha My parents live in Tok. I spent a few summers there fire fighting and helping them build their log home. It is a great place. Made the drive up and back a few times from WA as well. Always said I wouldn't do it again with out taking a week or two. The times I did it I pretty much drove straight through! Still beautiful even at that speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjisgal View Post
I drove to Alaska last year....14,000 miles total....roundtrip from Georgia. I fondly remember the drive to and from Skagway and I did it as a woman towing solo in my Airstream. I met a caravan in British Columbia...but I did the entire drive as a single woman and travel from Georgia to British Columbia alone. The trip into and out of Skagway for a trip to remember. Also, the Top of the World Highway from Tok, Alaska to Dawson City, Yukon Territory, was also another special trip--especially the part of the trip from Chicken, Alaska, to Dawson City. I would do it again....
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #33
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Have you had any winter at Grand Canyon? It has been in the 50's here and down to mid to upper 20's at night the past few weeks and the only precip a couple of inches of snow several weeks ago. Seems like early fall and a continuing drought.

Gene
Old 12-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Plastic and windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra View Post
How are you getting the plastic to stick or rather where are you sticking it. We recently tried to use the plastic with tape and the hair dryer. It wouldn't stick to the walls. Most of it came off pretty quickly. Any ideas?
I have not had any problem getting it to stick..bad tape maybe? The plastic is not a perfect solution, and we still have to be careful about moisture inside, but to this point things are working out.

Right now I am battling a leaky faucet in the kitcken. Moen brand. I know that they stand by their stuff, but I really need to get it fixed before it makes a huge mess.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Weather in Grand Canyon

Quote:
Have you had any winter at Grand Canyon? It has been in the 50's here and down to mid to upper 20's at night the past few weeks and the only precip a couple of inches of snow several weeks ago. Seems like early fall and a continuing drought.

Gene
Gene, it has been very nice here. Highs in the 50s and lows in the upper 20s no snow at all. As Jeanie says.."Every day the weather is good is one less day that it can be bad". She may have a point!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
It rained here yesterday for a few minutes. About a month ago there was 2" of snow. Everyone here is worried about drought and drought means more forest fires. It is nice to be able to get out and cut wood while winter holds off (if I had time to cut it). We all like the mild weather, but we're getting nervous about it too.

Other than that, I kind a envy being able to spend the winter in the trees at such an amazing place.

Gene
Old 12-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
It is 13 degrees this morning..a bit nippy. The airstream is doingwell since the water issues have been resolved. I will have to try and insulate our front storage compartment (maybe bubblewrap) as that seems to be a cold spot in the bed room. Taking towels out after showers seems to help with moisture..thanks for that bit of advice.

High here today is supposed to be in the 30s. I will do some outside cooking to get ahead as we are expecting our first real snow of the season this week and cooking inside just creates more moisture issues..though baking bread and using the crock pot seems to work well.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:34 AM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a perpetual vacation. How's the working part coming?

Jet stream must have finally come south. It got cold here and 3" of snow—lows around 7˚ on Monday and highs in the low 20's. Snow is nice to look at compared to dead brown grasses. We are not cooking outside.

Gene
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Sounds like a perpetual vacation. How's the working part coming?

Jet stream must have finally come south. It got cold here and 3" of snow—lows around 7˚ on Monday and highs in the low 20's. Snow is nice to look at compared to dead brown grasses. We are not cooking outside.

Gene
Gene, we must be trying to get your weather..forecast is for snow this week. As far as work goes..the Grand Canyon Association is a very good outfit. The work is pretty simple and the stores are very well done. Management seems very reasonable and the fellow workers all seem very friendly and happy to have some fresh faces around. All in all..a good place and a good job for the winter.

Spring plans are being worked on now and hopefully we will have a summer plan settlrd by the start of the new year...more adventures to come!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #40
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Sounds like a good job, but I hope mgt. doesn't read your post about how simple the work is. We're supposed to get some snow Friday and Sat. I think you get it first unless the earth is rotating in the opposite direction now. Leave some for us.

Gene