Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Alpharetta , Georgia
Where can I park my rig

We are leaving on a 1-2 year trip around the country. Any suggestions on parking your rig during times when you are flying back to visit family, going on cruises, and similar situations.

Thanks,
py1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Indoors. A nice barn would be good. Away from prying eyes, and the hot sun.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Some campgrounds have storage areas. Also places with storage lockers sometimes store trailers.

The trick is to find a place where storage is in a fenced area with some lighting.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Think seriously about some sort of mouse bait and hire a person to renew that however often needed during all the time you'll be away.

Going on cruises? Isn't that what the Airstream is for?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Many campgrounds have storage areas. This would be preferable to storage lots as there is usually someone around at a campground.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If by chance you are retired or reserve military, most bases have a storage lot. Doesn't get much more secure...

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There are specific RV storage facilities in many urban areas that provide fenced, video secure, covered and/or indoor storage as opposed to the open field, back-lot mini-storage joints. I leave mine for 3 months in such a place 450 miles away so I can access it in the winter without having to tow in snow.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by py1950
We are leaving on a 1-2 year trip around the country. Any suggestions on parking your rig during times when you are flying back to visit family, going on cruises, and similar situations.

Thanks,
We went on a 7-day cruise in the Caribbean and left our AS at a RV park. I don't see why you couldn't do the same on a weekly or monthly basis. For longer periods

We keep our units indoors at a facility that fits our need for security, privacy, vermin control, and protection from weather. 24hr access and on-site contact. We picked this location in a location central to areas we explore by RV. We fly or drive in, hitch up, and Go! We never tell the staff our schedule or when will be coming and going. We treat our visits as if we're dropping into a daycare center to see our Baby! We stay low profile to lower the risk of theft by insider means. If you really are going to be more proactive, LoJack your AS and do not advertise it with stickers. Your system should be monitored and send notice to you and police.
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Don't know about for trailers, but I know there are alarm systems for automobiles, and by extesion motorhomes, that will auto-dial your smart-phone if an alarm goes off, giving you a chance to call the local constabulary— if you've taken the precaution of putting the police/sheriff's department on speed-dial for the area where your trailer is stored. I seem to recall seeing a similar system for trailers not that long ago, but my Swiss-cheese memory has more holes and less cheese with every passing day.

The really hot setup, though, would be to tell the local police that you're storing your trailer, and ask them if you can have the alarm system call them directly.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our in-laws keep a fifth wheel in an RV resort & marina in San Diego, that stores both RVs and boats. Then, when the in-laws head out there from Phoenix to escape the summer heat, they call ahead; and the RV resort moves their fifth wheel from storage to a camp site, in time for their arrival. When they leave, the resort moves the trailer back to the storage lot. Same thing for boats.

I would guess that other large resorts would provide this service, too. Also, since the storage lot is inside the resort property, it is pretty secure. The in-laws have done this for the past ten years and have never had any problems with theft, etc.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Our in-laws keep a fifth wheel in an RV resort & marina in San Diego, that stores both RVs and boats. Then, when the in-laws head out there from Phoenix to escape the summer heat, they call ahead; and the RV resort moves their fifth wheel from storage to a camp site, in time for their arrival. When they leave, the resort moves the trailer back to the storage lot. Same thing for boats.

I would guess that other large resorts would provide this service, too. Also, since the storage lot is inside the resort property, it is pretty secure. The in-laws have done this for the past ten years and have never had any problems with theft, etc.
As I stated in my post: you have just illustrated one of my main points -- the on site staff that provide these services are the "insiders" that know where the loot is stashed. It's WHY law enforcement start with employees. I would NEVER call ahead to let them know I'm coming! Here's a link to GPS tracking service:

Here is one source for tracking by GPS: SkyLink Google mysky-link
Old 08-09-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist
Don't know about for trailers, but I know there are alarm systems for automobiles, and by extesion motorhomes, that will auto-dial your smart-phone if an alarm goes off, giving you a chance to call the local constabulary— if you've taken the precaution of putting the police/sheriff's department on speed-dial for the area where your trailer is stored. I seem to recall seeing a similar system for trailers not that long ago, but my Swiss-cheese memory has more holes and less cheese with every passing day.

The really hot setup, though, would be to tell the local police that you're storing your trailer, and ask them if you can have the alarm system call them directly.
Here is one source for tracking by GPS: SkyLink Google mysky-link
Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Airstream Parks/Communities

We have seen Airstream Parks across the U.S. and they almost always have a storage area. On our trip to the NW we left our AS and truck in Washington Land Yacht Harbor, Olympia, WA while we ferried to AK for a month. It was inside a gated community. More than paid for our WBCCI membership to be able to use this facility and all of the others we stopped at on our trip.
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote